St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Meh. Not over the moon. Might be better suited to this level but didn't show the appetite for the fight last season.

Will he suit plastic pitches?

Clean slate with a new manager and new season with a pre season under his belt but he'll have to win the fans over.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan Gow will do terrific in Murray's team as he plays 3 5 2 in the games he expects to win and thus frees up players with a bit of creativity, like Gow did years ago at Falkirk.

If you have signed Scott Agnew he also will play in a similar role but he is not a tackler, just points at people to do the tackling. Will miss him and Ian Murray at Dumbarton.

Gow and Agnew are/would be terrible signings, we have Mallan who is more than capable and better than both. Signing Agnew would be a waste of a wage now we are stuck with Gow. I would far rather Sadlier than either of them, I liked the look of him in games last season. Cannot believe Gow got a contract ahead of Sadlier for this season.

Despite the lawsuit, and you can't begrudge him for doing so, I hope we are still doing everything possible to convince McGinn to stay. Can't see him having too many offers, if any. I see Ridgers has been linked with Ross County. I'd be happy to let him go, even better if we could get some sort of fee which would be daylight robbery.

At least the strip looks half decent this season. It's a start.

I think Ridgers will be staying. He's still pretty young for a goalie (24) and I think we might be looking for an older, experienced keeper to come in and act as a player/coach now that Mathers has gone.

Gow and Agnew are/would be terrible signings, we have Mallan who is more than capable and better than both. Signing Agnew would be a waste of a wage now we are stuck with Gow. I would far rather Sadlier than either of them, I liked the look of him in games last season. Cannot believe Gow got a contract ahead of Sadlier for this season.

Have you even seen Agnew play before?

To say he'd be a 'terrible' signing is completely false. I'm not convinced he'd be a regular starter for you but he's a very decent Championship midfielder.

To say he'd be a 'terrible' signing is completely false. I'm not convinced he'd be a regular starter for you but he's a very decent Championship midfielder.

You may be right, but I get what he's saying. Agnew would now almost certainly be a waste of a wage, given that Gow will now likely be the 'option' in that position all season as he's not good enough to be starting every week. And I too would have rather had Sadlier (who is still training with the club) as that option, even if he does sometimes operate in a wider position.

Personally, I'd have had Agnew as the option and told Gow to go.

If Agnew signs he will be a replacement position wise for McLean ie all left foot and chipping in with goals from midfield. Anyone who thinks we didn't miss McLean is blind and it was clear no one at the club was capable of playing that roll so he seems a sensible signing to me despite not having seen him play.

He would be an unnecessary signing because we've signed Gow. Sadlier is a better option than both. As djchapstick said it would pretty much be a wasted wage when other positions are a more pressing concern.

If Agnew signs he will be a replacement position wise for McLean ie all left foot and chipping in with goals from midfield. Anyone who thinks we didn't miss McLean is blind and it was clear no one at the club was capable of playing that roll so he seems a sensible signing to me despite not having seen him play.

Agnew and McLean are not comparable, McLean is a far superior player. Agnew and Gow are comparable. Mallan has shown he can create and score goals - if he is afforded the freedom McLean got then I don't see why he can't be the replacement. Agnew is a luxury player who shirks a challenge much like Gow. Unnecessary signing and we have better training at the club.

We haven't actually signed Agnew, have we?

We'll need players who know the league, and Agnew's played 100 odd games at this level in the last 3 seasons. He'll do for this level and will be an asset to our squad.

Gow I'm not so sure on, we will see but I think he's a hopeless signing who will be gone by January.

Archived