St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

If I may offer an observation, I fear that Murray and Miller, albeit the difference in age and experience, are similar characters. Determined and focused perhaps, but dour and humourless. They'll be bad cop and bad cop. A story direct from the time that Miller left the Buddies back in 1986 and relayed to me by former Saints manager Alex Wright was that the players felt that a 'big dark cloud' had been lifted when he was replaced. When you consider that his replacement, Alex Smith, could never have been mistaken for a ray of sunshine, you just wonder how dark that cloud must have been.

Good luck, the Saints are my second team. I enjoyed being at both the cup final in 1987 and several European ties back in the day.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I may offer an observation, I fear that Murray and Miller, albeit the difference in age and experience, are similar characters. Determined and focused perhaps, but dour and humourless. They'll be bad cop and bad cop. A story direct from the time that Miller left the Buddies back in 1986 and relayed to me by former Saints manager Alex Wright was that the players felt that a 'big dark cloud' had been lifted when he was replaced. When you consider that his replacement, Alex Smith, could never have been mistaken for a ray of sunshine, you just wonder how dark that cloud must have been.

Good luck, the Saints are my second team. I enjoyed being at both the cup final in 1987 and several European ties back in the day.

Miller is fully football focussed. It is his work and hobby. However yes he is not known for his sence of humour. Imo the manager has always got to be the bad cop as after he has had his say the assistant/no2 job is to lift the player(s). Imo St Mirren need coached defensively then on how to win matches. Millers has the coaching credentials to achieve this. St Mirrens league position will improve under Millers coaching. Miller may find it difficult to be the no2 that's when Murray will prove his worth.

Fair enough with the answers from everyone i can understand why they did it but still think squads should be able to cope thats all plus we will lose money out of the change of date.Anyway i hope st.mirren fans enjoy the trek from paisley through to kirkcaldy on a tuesday night.

what are you gibbering about and whats it got to do with you anyway.I only asked a question as i was pissed off the game has been changed thats all.

It has nothing to do with me I'm very sorry I questioned your stance on the matter. Your correct all you were doing was asking a series of ridiculous questions.

9 points clear, albeit you have a game in hand but will probably funk that up aswell. Glorious.

Back to back relegations.

St mirren :lol:

Something Morton fans know all about.

Erm yes, because those relegations while Hugh Scott was being hounded out of the club and the rump pulled from the brink of liquidation were really the pressing issue for Morton fans.

What would Saint Mirren's excuse be though?

Considerable parachute payments from the top flight and your much vaunted, super-duper youth prospects cancel that out though. Or perhaps those 'promising players' were never actually all they were hyped up to be?

That's why Morton have almost double the points your crisis outfit have scrambled together, after barely a third of the season.

Gutted for you.

We will finish above you put your house on it and very well you know it.

Make sure to book mark that I have.

Lastly bring a BIG hanky on the 19th you are going to need it.

Erm yes, because those relegations while Hugh Scott was being hounded out of the club and the rump pulled from the brink of liquidation were really the pressing issue for Morton fans.

What would Saint Mirren's excuse be though?

Our club has been stagnant since 2009. Being run by a board that has lost its mojo and wants to sell is proving to be almost as damaging as being run by an outright crook was in your case. Thus, we find ourselves on a downward spiral, with a ground that lacks atmosphere and an increasingly disaffected supporter base. Furthermore, while we have tended to not be a trigger-happy club, the appointment of Tommy Craig has turned out to be too disastrous for words, leaving us in a circle of rapid hiring-and-firing that can be tough to escape.

While we are undoubtedly producing some half-decent young players, the state in which our club finds itself means we are not creating the ideal environment in which they could blossom. Furthermore, we apparently lack the boardroom negotiating skills to extract worthwhile fees for the players we do develop, hence people like McGinn and McLean leaving for the square root of bugger all, when they are evidently worth more.

We have placed faith in a young, promising manager, who possibly needs time, but he has arrived at a club that wants quick results. Not great when he has admitted he's finding it tough to adapt to the increased expectations. Furthermore, there is (one assumes) political imbalance in the dressing room, as the club's most senior player is 1) finished and 2) older than the manager yet is 3) worshipped by the fans and for some reason continues to be picked. (I think you could equate this to the position at Chelsea with John Terry.)

I guess those would be our excuses.

What doesn't help, of course, is that our lowest ebb in over a decade has coincided with Morton reaching a 15-year pinnacle, opening us up to the sort of cutting, heart-rending online taunting as witnessed above. I just hope not too many Saints fans read this as your words are mean and it could be upsetting.

Our club has been stagnant since 2009. Being run by a board that has lost its mojo and wants to sell is proving to be almost as damaging as being run by an outright crook was in your case. Thus, we find ourselves on a downward spiral, with a ground that lacks atmosphere and an increasingly disaffected supporter base. Furthermore, while we have tended to not be a trigger-happy club, the appointment of Tommy Craig has turned out to be too disastrous for words, leaving us in a circle of rapid hiring-and-firing that can be tough to escape.

While we are undoubtedly producing some half-decent young players, the state in which our club finds itself means we are not creating the ideal environment in which they could blossom. Furthermore, we apparently lack the boardroom negotiating skills to extract worthwhile fees for the players we do develop, hence people like McGinn and McLean leaving for the square root of bugger all, when they are evidently worth more.

We have placed faith in a young, promising manager, who possibly needs time, but he has arrived at a club that wants quick results. Not great when he has admitted he's finding it tough to adapt to the increased expectations. Furthermore, there is (one assumes) political imbalance in the dressing room, as the club's most senior player is 1) finished and 2) older than the manager yet is 3) worshipped by the fans and for some reason continues to be picked. (I think you could equate this to the position at Chelsea with John Terry.)

I guess those would be our excuses.

What doesn't help, of course, is that our lowest ebb in over a decade has coincided with Morton reaching a 15-year pinnacle, opening us up to the sort of cutting, heart-rending online taunting as witnessed above. I just hope not too many Saints fans read this as your words are mean and it could be upsetting.

Great post! Much more sensible than the "get Murray to f**k" posts!

We will finish above you put your house on it and very well you know it.

Make sure to book mark that I have.

Lastly bring a BIG hanky on the 19th you are going to need it.

Whats happening on Thurs the 19th???

Archived