St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a source for these comments or know what paper he was speaking to? I was listening to St Mirren radio and heard his interview and don't remember anything like that. Although I wasn't fully paying attention to be fair.

Does anyone have a source for these comments or know what paper he was speaking to? I was listening to St Mirren radio and heard his interview and don't remember anything like that. Although I wasn't fully paying attention to be fair.

It was in a separate interview for the papers. Capital City Press, who initially reported it seem very certain that he was recorded on tape saying it though and it was a measured response.

As it is though,there is no way back. Tommy Craig had a similar PR boob last year at this time and said after we lost to Hamilton that he had nothing to say to the fans who spent their money and braved the elements to watch a dire performance. There was no way back for him after that, I reckon this is the beginning of the end for Murray as well.

Unbelievable how badly he's messed this job up. He had a decent reputation in the lower leagues and that is completely gone in around 4 and a half months.

I think there's audio of the interview with Murray, it's just not been put online yet. Seems like an utterly stupid thing to do, criticising the fans will achieve nothing other than turning more against him. We did tell you he was stupidly stubborn though!

As BBPF says the change from 2013/14 to 14/15 and now the shambles he's in this season makes no sense. We played some brilliant football in 13/14, we conceded loads and scored loads (scored 65, conceded 64 - only Accies scored more and they put 10 past Morton on the final day) Then he started the 14/15 season with the mantra of "let's score less and we might concede less". Well guess what? We scored less and conceded more. A lot more. He sat off teams too much, as soon as the first goal went in we either shut up shop, or if it was for the opposition, sat back even more.

It was horrible to watch a team go from #GoalzGalore and having confidence that even if you conceded 1, 2, even 3 goals you'd still have a chance to resigning yourself to a long afternoon before the game kicked off based purely on the teamsheet.

Last season was the first time since 07/08 that I've actually not enjoyed watching us on a regular basis. I went to every game, but for the first time in a long time, did it purely to keep up my consecutive games record - we were utterly turgid. We only stayed up because Cowden and Alloa were terrible, and Livingston a shambles.

Saints will stay up this season. But the style of football, and results, will stay the same for as long as Murray's in charge.

I heard he played Aggy on left-wing last night :lol: Oh my word

I think there's audio of the interview with Murray, it's just not been put online yet. Seems like an utterly stupid thing to do, criticising the fans will achieve nothing other than turning more against him. We did tell you he was stupidly stubborn though!

As BBPF says the change from 2013/14 to 14/15 and now the shambles he's in this season makes no sense. We played some brilliant football in 13/14, we conceded loads and scored loads (scored 65, conceded 64 - only Accies scored more and they put 10 past Morton on the final day) Then he started the 14/15 season with the mantra of "let's score less and we might concede less". Well guess what? We scored less and conceded more. A lot more. He sat off teams too much, as soon as the first goal went in we either shut up shop, or if it was for the opposition, sat back even more.

It was horrible to watch a team go from #GoalzGalore and having confidence that even if you conceded 1, 2, even 3 goals you'd still have a chance to resigning yourself to a long afternoon before the game kicked off based purely on the teamsheet.

Last season was the first time since 07/08 that I've actually not enjoyed watching us on a regular basis. I went to every game, but for the first time in a long time, did it purely to keep up my consecutive games record - we were utterly turgid. We only stayed up because Cowden and Alloa were terrible, and Livingston a shambles.

Saints will stay up this season. But the style of football, and results, will stay the same for as long as Murray's in charge.

I heard he played Aggy on left-wing last night :lol: Oh my word

Do you think the "goals galore" era was actually down to Murray? Maybe jack Ross or just the players themselves. From what I'm hearing he doesn't take training or do much in the way of coaching anyway. That's why he took Spaulding, he was happy to be dogsbody

When you look at it the last 2 results aren't awful.

Morton have been on a good run and Raith have a great home record.

We will be underdogs on Saturday, I think if we don't beat QOTS he'll get the tin tack. Then again if we do beat them, how much longer does he get? Till we lose a few in a row again?

Do you think the "goals galore" era was actually down to Murray? Maybe jack Ross or just the players themselves. From what I'm hearing he doesn't take training or do much in the way of coaching anyway. That's why he took Spaulding, he was happy to be dogsbody

True, both Jack and the players played a massive role, but if you look at our average lineup from that season it wasn't any stronger than what he's got at St Mirren:

Grindlay

McGinn Graham Mclaughlin Linton

Gilhaney Agnew Turner Megginson

Kane Nish

The main thing that I think has been his downfall is this, when he came into us we were a part-time club run like a part-time club - the same as we had been run during the years in League's 1 and 2. Murray brought a whole new level of full-time style professionalism to the club. A full-time fitness coach, diet plans for the players, pre-match meals were scheduled. He effectively ran the club like a full-time outfit but with part-time players. As such the results were tremendous.

In Paisley he's gone to a full time club, who've been in the Premiership for quite a few years and will already do all the professional stuff. He had nothing he could change, nothing he could make more professional hence he's flopped.

That was a thought that had been lingering with me for a while, but now it's typed out it does make sense.

I'm sure Agnew was left wing at least one point of the Morton game. Not that it matters at the midfield watched the ball sail 15 feet above their heads for most of that game.

His tactics of standing off are utter shite. Is it something you get coached on in Largs? Can we get relegated. With Murray on board- absolutely.

The only times we've played has been the TV games with Rangers and we still lost both after screwing up good opportunities!

Murray is superb at keeping teams in this league, I don't think he'd take you down. Even with the shit tactics he'll grind out enough points and put a run of some sort together (usually around March). But then again, at this rate I don't expect him to be given the season to prove that point.

I have a degree of sympathy with Murray. I think everyone was impressed with the majority of his signings (Carswell & Gow aside). However, tactically he is horrendous. The midfield appears to be all over the place. Our results have been terrible but I think if he were to utilise the likes of McMullan, Mallan and Goodwin correctly then we could be a decent side capable of beating Raith and Morton. He needs to persist with Shankland up front along with Gallagher, they are more than capable of scoring goals at this level providing they don't have the ball pelted at them by the defence/keeper.

Doesn't help that a perma-crock ran to the papers crying and claiming the new assistant manager is after the Managers gig purely because he doesn't get a look in, and rightly so.

Edit: I'm willing to give Murray more time, but then again what do I know about football.

I have a degree of sympathy with Murray. I think everyone was impressed with the majority of his signings (Carswell & Gow aside). However, tactically he is horrendous. The midfield appears to be all over the place. Our results have been terrible but I think if he were to utilise the likes of McMullan, Mallan and Goodwin correctly then we could be a decent side capable of beating Raith and Morton. He needs to persist with Shankland up front along with Gallagher, they are more than capable of scoring goals at this level providing they don't have the ball pelted at them by the defence/keeper.

Doesn't help that a perma-crock ran to the papers crying and claiming the new assistant manager is after the Managers gig purely because he doesn't get a look in, and rightly so.

Edit: I'm willing to give Murray more time, but then again what do I know about football.

Who's that? Gow?

How badly he's done is astonishing. It's possible that many of us underestimated the extent of the rebuilding job required at St. Mirren, but he's been an utter disaster. Dumbarton fans have correctly pointed out many times how much their performances deteriorated in his final season there, but over his whole time there he did a better job than Paul Hartley did at Alloa and it's incredible to see how badly he's dealt with the move to full-time football in comparison. That sort of comment about fans is the clearest sign possible that he's knows he's running out of time and is seriously rattled by it. He's always been a bit of a hot-headed dick but that's something else.

All that said, Alex Miller isn't going to improve anything.

Cannot agree with the bold statement above. Gow was a known disaster - his first signing. He signed Conlan and Howieson after having them train with us for more than a month. One has vanished off the face of the earth and the other is lucky to be a sub. And U20 player Jordan Stewart is miles better than Conlan anyway.

Carswell is a very poor addition and rarely gets a game. Agnew scores a great goal, against lower opposition in Cup games, now and then but drifts out of games mostly. McMullan has ability but doesn't work hard enough, overruns the ball and never tracks back. Thommo is 37 and now looks past it. Gallagher looks out of position and has been disappointing as has Shankland. Reid looks off the pace but he has been injured for a long time and is not match fit.

For me Webster, Langfield, and Watson have been decent signings. The rest have been either vastly underperforming or not as good as as we had hoped; and some are frankly just nowhere near good enough

Murray dropped both Goodwin and Mallan at the start of the season - the only two decent midfielders we have and has said all season that Goody is not fit enough for a whole season even though he has been our best and fittest player by a mile and just turned 34 a few days ago but Murray never mentions Thommo's age who is 3 years older.

I think we could have a decent first 11 if we sign two more midfielders and another experienced striker but we lack in squad numbers as recent injuries have proved.

I have little sympathy for Murray. He chose the wrong Assistant. He alienated Goody, our best player, and did not play Mallan when he should have. His tactics are woeful and we change formations and personnel nearly every week as he has no idea what is his best formation for the players he has. Another manager would surely get a lot more out of the players we have but overall the squad is nowhere near good enough for the play-offs imho.

Who and when was this? Would love to read that!

Hard to argue with any of the above statement regarding murrays tactics and team selections. I do however refuse to believe someone who has a stand up record up until now can go so badly wrong.

Our downfall in the last 18 months - 2 years has been spectacular. I believe there has to be something rotten going on behind the scenes, and I mean more than the existing board wanting out. Whether it be in the dressing room, or at board room level I have no idea.

Cannot agree with the bold statement above. Gow was a known disaster - his first signing. He signed Conlan and Howieson after having them train with us for more than a month. One has vanished off the face of the earth and the other is lucky to be a sub. And U20 player Jordan Stewart is miles better than Conlan anyway.

Carswell is a very poor addition and rarely gets a game. Agnew scores a great goal, against lower opposition in Cup games, now and then but drifts out of games mostly. McMullan has ability but doesn't work hard enough, overruns the ball and never tracks back. Thommo is 37 and now looks past it. Gallagher looks out of position and has been disappointing as has Shankland. Reid looks off the pace but he has been injured for a long time and is not match fit.

For me Webster, Langfield, and Watson have been decent signings. The rest have been either vastly underperforming or not as good as as we had hoped; and some are frankly just nowhere near good enough

Murray dropped both Goodwin and Mallan at the start of the season - the only two decent midfielders we have and has said all season that Goody is not fit enough for a whole season even though he has been our best and fittest player by a mile and just turned 34 a few days ago but Murray never mentions Thommo's age who is 3 years older.

I think we could have a decent first 11 if we sign two more midfielders and another experienced striker but we lack in squad numbers as recent injuries have proved.

I have little sympathy for Murray. He chose the wrong Assistant. He alienated Goody, our best player, and did not play Mallan when he should have. His tactics are woeful and we change formations and personnel nearly every week as he has no idea what is his best formation for the players he has. Another manager would surely get a lot more out of the players we have but overall the squad is nowhere near good enough for the play-offs imho.

Hence the use of 'was'. In hindsight many of them haven't turned out as expected, yes. During the summer I don't think you'll find many predicting these players to have turned out as they have. Shankland was chased for ages and everyone was desperate for him to sign, he has offered more than Thompson this season as has Gallagher. Majority of fans couldn't have been happier with Agnew signing, I said at the time it was a waste signing him and Gow, the biggest disaster of them all and one who should have never been offered a deal under any circumstances. I think he has realised many of his errors - in particular dropping Goodwin and Mallan. Both of whom our play should go through especially Carswell is comfortably one the worst and slowest players I've witnessed.

Reid is a panic loan deal because our main right back picked up a serious injury, something Murray could not foresee. At the time Watson was the best option available we took a punt on him. You are not going to get a decent right back on an emergency loan deal. Reid is pish - his debut at Falkirk showed that. In saying that, we tried Cuddihy at right back and he is nowhere near ready.

I think you are being quite harsh on Howieson, he looks a tidy player.

On paper Murray put together a decent squad, injuries haven't helped us but the biggest hampener is his tactics. I'm hoping having the experience of Miller beside him might bring about some decent, winning football. It's not going to happen overnight though. All I'm saying is that I'd give Murray some more time - we're not going down.

Who and when was this? Would love to read that!

Miller was twice in the press earlier this month denying that he was after Murray's job. Gow went squealing to one of his journo mates informing them that this was the case. Presumably because he is unhappy at not being in the squad ever, which is one decision Murray has got consistently right but one he shouldn't have to make.

Hence the use of 'was'. In hindsight many of them haven't turned out as expected, yes. During the summer I don't think you'll find many predicting these players to have turned out as they have. Shankland was chased for ages and everyone was desperate for him to sign, he has offered more than Thompson this season as has Gallagher. Majority of fans couldn't have been happier with Agnew signing, I said at the time it was a waste signing him and Gow, the biggest disaster of them all and one who should have never been offered a deal under any circumstances. I think he has realised many of his errors - in particular dropping Goodwin and Mallan. Both of whom our play should go through especially Carswell is comfortably one the worst and slowest players I've witnessed.

Reid is a panic loan deal because our main right back picked up a serious injury, something Murray could not foresee. At the time Watson was the best option available we took a punt on him. You are not going to get a decent right back on an emergency loan deal. Reid is pish - his debut at Falkirk showed that. In saying that, we tried Cuddihy at right back and he is nowhere near ready.

I think you are being quite harsh on Howieson, he looks a tidy player.

On paper Murray put together a decent squad, injuries haven't helped us but the biggest hampener is his tactics. I'm hoping having the experience of Miller beside him might bring about some decent, winning football. It's not going to happen overnight though. All I'm saying is that I'd give Murray some more time - we're not going down.

Miller was twice in the press earlier this month denying that he was after Murray's job. Gow went squealing to one of his journo mates informing them that this was the case. Presumably because he is unhappy at not being in the squad ever, which is one decision Murray has got consistently right but one he shouldn't have to make.

You got a link to the story from Gow?Couldn't find it when I googled it

Archived