St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Whats happening on Thurs the 19th???

Morton fans pick up there brew money ahead of heading to Paisley to play a bona fide big team on Friday the 20th?

The bona fide big team are going through hell at the moment but I agree, they WILL finish above there Greenock understudies.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Morton can't end their league hoodoo on the 20th you have to think they never will. They will never get a better chance to finally experience winning a proper derby match. In fact it would be a tad embarrassing for them if they didn't win given who all have at SMP this season. Your best shot at glory in years.

If Morton can't end their league hoodoo on the 20th you have to think they never will. They will never get a better chance to finally experience winning a proper derby match. In fact it would be a tad embarrassing for them if they didn't win given who all have at SMP this season. Your best shot at glory in years.

Cringe.

It's going to be hilarious when this pipe dream of finishing above us blows up in your unwashed faces.

You reading of the term 'pipe dream' must be different to mine. I'm not sure I'd ever describe something that has happened every year since the turn of the Millennium as 'unobtainable'.

They are starting to hang around like a bad smell which is quite funny as they creep into their holes when we are doing well.

Still have a respect for them supporting their local club.

You just know Murray will buy time by beating them. In a way I would like to see us lose to get Murray to f**k

Demented Zebra, on 09 Nov 2015 - 18:58, said:

They are starting to hang around like a bad smell which is quite funny as they creep into their holes when we are doing well.

Still have a respect for them supporting their local club.

You just know Murray will buy time by beating them. In a way I would like to see us lose to get Murray to f**k

So you would. :lol:

In a way I would like to see us lose to get Murray to f**k

Nope. Never ever ever.

It won't serve to get Murray out anyway unless we take an absolute boabying. The downside of the arrival of Miller is that it has bought Murray another 4 or 5 matches to see if there is any sort of observable improvement.

Re the St Mirren youth setup, it is decent as is Morton's but both clubs face the same problem in terms of making it produce valuable players. Basically to command good fees, you need a reputation for producing players who go on to prove they can play at a high level. So Falkirk and Hamilton, for example, both have ex youth academy players holding down places in the premiership. As far as I am aware St Mirren don't and, given Morton's youth academy in its present form is only four years old, we certainly don't.

Take a St Mirren youth player and the price the club can get for him will be a fraction of what the same player coming through Falkirk or Hamilton's academies would be. That will persist until the club sees ex YA kids make it at a higher level which may well happen in coming years.

Re the St Mirren youth setup, it is decent as is Morton's but both clubs face the same problem in terms of making it produce valuable players. Basically to command good fees, you need a reputation for producing players who go on to prove they can play at a high level. So Falkirk and Hamilton, for example, both have ex youth academy players holding down places in the premiership. As far as I am aware St Mirren don't and, given Morton's youth academy in its present form is only four years old, we certainly don't.

Take a St Mirren youth player and the price the club can get for him will be a fraction of what the same player coming through Falkirk or Hamilton's academies would be. That will persist until the club sees ex YA kids make it at a higher level which may well happen in coming years.

Kenny McLean, and the three McGinn brothers, have all gone on to play at a higher level than we currently reside in (taking HIbs as a step up, which, let's face it, they are), as has Simon Lappin.

I take your point though. Perversely, the Danny Lennon way of playing, while flawed, was geared up to help showcase younger players, in that it got them on the ball and encouraged them to be comfortable in possession. As I say, it was flawed in many other ways, but was helping to get younger players noticed. Kenny and John McGinn certainly both benefited.

Young players won't gain in value when you're shithousing your way through games and/or fighting relegation.

Kenny McLean, and the three McGinn brothers, have all gone on to play at a higher level than we currently reside in (taking HIbs as a step up, which, let's face it, they are), as has Simon Lappin.

I take your point though. Perversely, the Danny Lennon way of playing, while flawed, was geared up to help showcase younger players, in that it got them on the ball and encouraged them to be comfortable in possession. As I say, it was flawed in many other ways, but was helping to get younger players noticed. Kenny and John McGinn certainly both benefited.

Young players won't gain in value when you're shithousing your way through games and/or fighting relegation.

is there not a boy at Killie that came through saints youth, Slater or something.

Utter shite. You need good players to command good fees, not a good reputation. Reputation will help your players get noticed but if your player is good enough and your board are smart enough you'll get a good fee for a young player.

Was the last time Morton beat us the 5-1 game?

Yes. In the eight competitive games since there were two draws and two St. Mirren wins the following season, then three cup games (3-2 AET in the League Cup, 0-0 followed by penalties in the Challenge Cup, 4-3 in the League Cup) and the 0-0 draw at the start of the season.

I can see us drawing all four this season to be honest.

Yes. In the eight competitive games since there were two draws and two St. Mirren wins the following season, then three cup games (3-2 AET in the League Cup, 0-0 followed by penalties in the Challenge Cup, 4-3 in the League Cup) and the 0-0 draw at the start of the season.

There's always the chance we'll meet in the Scottish Cup.

To be fair I dont think we can take any credit for Paul McGinn, he came from Queens Park, never played for us, then moved to Dumarton.

Morton fans pick up there brew money ahead of heading to Paisley to play a bona fide big team on Friday the 20th?

The bona fide big team are going through hell at the moment but I agree, they WILL finish above there Greenock understudies.

The word is "THEIR", not "there". Twice. And "brew money" would be the price of a cup of tea.

Not a great advert for Paisley standards of education, are you?

I suggest you change your username from "Tedious Tom" to " Cretinous C*nt".

Have a nice day though.

I had completely forgotten that 0-0 in the challenge cup. Morton should have beat us that night, we rode our luck a little.

Archived