Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it can be overstated how important a signing that is and how much he improves Motherwell's prospects.

I hate watching him as a blinkered Ross County supporter, because of the diving and feigning injury etc.

But from a more objective perspective, he offers so much to the team. He was immense in the play-offs in the deeper role. Baraclough knows he has an excellent player for between the lines of midifeld and attack, but can hold McDonald back as option to just dig in and have the team hit with pace when the time calls.

Sadly it also said McDonald's been offered a big money move to China.

What a difference a day makes eh? Guaranteed a couple of goals against us - he's never been anything other than an absolute fucking nuisance against Killie.

An absolutely superb signing and one, i've got to admit, I didn't expect to happen. I thought he'd be off elsewhere for more cash.

This should give the whole squad a huge lift going into the new season. The difference he made last season was there for all to see. Wes Fletcher and Louis Moult should be rubbing their hands with glee at having the opportunity to work with this guy. They only need to see what he did for Lee Erwin and how he became a much better player simply by having McDonald alongside him for a few months.

The goalkeeper should be the final piece of the jigsaw, but it's good to see we're looking for cover in the middle of the park too.

New GK

Law Laing McManus Hammell

Lasley Pearson

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

Moult/Fletcher

That's a pretty good first choice line-up. Providing it's not Craig Samson who's the new goalie!

I haven't seen any of the two strikers play, so no idea who'll be the one to start. Perhaps Fletcher, given he has the No.9 shirt? In saying that, squad numbers mean little these days.

Decent options on the bench too. Watt, Leitch & Thomas have shown they can perform in the first team, and Clarkson is good bit of experience too. Keiran Kennedy and Joe Chalmers could be other options, though again, haven't seen them play.

All in all, really looking forward to the new season.

Straight off the bat, we look a vastly more mobile team this season.

Twardzik

Reid Ramsden McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Lasley Carswell Vigurs

Law

Sutton

Was how we lined up against Stjarnan. Peason is vastly more up-and-atom than Carswell, Johnson far more aggressive running at players than Vigurs, McDonald with more ability than Law, presumably Fletcher/Moult more mobile than Sutton (cause everyone is).

Worth remembering that Ainsworth is out for the first two, so we might see Fletcher/Thomas out there on the right.

Archived