Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

I wondered if that would happen, he was pretty much the only one of McCall's coaching staff left. That's a proper house clean as far as coaching goes.

The under 20's games always seemed really high scoring under him he had more emphasis on attack rather than defence anyway. A house clean will be good I think a change of ideas and approach will be good thing

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered if that would happen, he was pretty much the only one of McCall's coaching staff left. That's a proper house clean as far as coaching goes.

True that. Ever since Barraclough came in and our form didn't improve, there was a debate amongst 'Well fans about whether he should go or not - but I guess the real test will be this season as he has hugely changed that squad over the two windows he's had and now it's all a new coaching team - so not much left of the McCall era at all (am I right in saying that of the first team starters, only McManus, Lasley and Hammell have not been signed or had their contract renewed under Barraclough?) - and no-one else to take the blame/praise.

True that. Ever since Barraclough came in and our form didn't improve, there was a debate amongst 'Well fans about whether he should go or not - but I guess the real test will be this season as he has hugely changed that squad over the two windows he's had and now it's all a new coaching team - so not much left of the McCall era at all (am I right in saying that of the first team starters, only McManus, Lasley and Hammell have not been signed or had their contract renewed under Barraclough?) - and no-one else to take the blame/praise.

Can't argue with any of that. There's no chance that there can be any criticism levelled at the club for not offering support. Though having said that I'd be interested to know who the main catalyst has been with these changes, whether it's come from Bara or Hutchison. Clearly the upturn in performance levels when Robinson came in for Black shows why that change was important from Baraclough's point of view but given Hutchison has been very vocal about the necessity to rebuild & restructure the club I similarly wonder whether this is a case of him trying to implement, to borrow from Man City, a more "holistic" management structure and the suggestion about the extent of the changes has come from Hutchison rather than Baraclough going to him (if that distinction makes sense).

I'm clearly running the risk of reading a bit too much into things but Craigan's positive comments re: Robinson when he was doing his punditing on the play-off game become a bit more meaningful. Not that I'm suggesting he was in for the job back then or anything just more that it'd imply that this is another appointment that would see the coaching staff all on the same page.

It certainly seems like the logical step, whenever Baraclough moves on.

It looks to be great appointment getting him in. If Stephen Craigan can pass on even a tenth of the passion and committment he showed as a Motherwell player, to the young players in the squad, then we're onto a winner.

It's incredible just how much of a feel good factor there is around Motherwell F.C at the moment. Especially as we're coming off the back of one of the worst seasons in recent memory. I can't wait for the new season to get underway. I've got a feeling it's going to be a memorable one!

It's an interesting appointment, and, as has been mentioned, it really means the last traces of the McCall era are now gone.

Barrackough now has everything in place, there can be no excuses. I confess to being excited for the future.

New head of marketing & head groundsman as well: http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/07/10/two-new-staff-appointments/, the head of marketing's previous roles make quite interesting reading. It's another appointment that the club said they'd be looking at and seem to have delivered on.

I have to say, the way the club are going about their business at the moment is encouraging. As a couple of folk have said there seems to be a genuine excitement about things at Fir Park and for me a lot of it seems to be down to a shift towards a positive narrative. Even independent of the playing recruitment of playing staff there seems to be a pretty amazing rebuild and restructuring of the how the club operates going on.

We seem to have made steps in addressing the disconnect and malaise that seemed to be around and are playing up a much more positive and open approach. It's genuinely heartening to hear the club sound like they have a bit of confidence in themselves. Even the tone the club set by telling Sevco to do one with their play-off ticket allocation was a huge positive for me.

As true as the fact that we're a "small club" is when it comes down to it the continual repetition of that sort of line isn't the sort of thing you want to be putting out there if you're trying to engage and connect with the more disenfranchised fans who have drifted away from the support. As cliched as it is, if you don't have confidence in yourself then why should anyone else and I think this is something that the club has unintentionally suffered from over the past few years. When it comes down to it, in the current climate, you can't just expect people to turn up at games or buy season tickets simply because they always have, you really need to give them a reason or a motivation to turn up.

I'll happily confess to being excited about the way things are going just now.

Would rather we signed someone permanently rather than a loan but I'd take Jackson Irvine. He's had a decent amount of games at this level and the killie fans at my work raved about him when he was there.

I'd see him more as a replacement for Lasley. Would be a good signing imo,as long as it doesn't hinder Leitch etc

I don't know about that. A replacement for Lasley though - probably. I am far from convinced that Leitch is going to make it and we're not exactly overendowed with experienced central midfielders - 2 at the last count. By all means give youth a chance but preserving our league status must come first. Putting a strong competitive midfield on the park must be our first priority here.

Always amuses me that anything 'new' or any kind of 'change' excites people. Baraclough changed a lot last season and we went about 2 and a half months without a win! It's like the entire population has been conditioned by marketing to think 'new' = 'better'. Facts are you can change the whole structure of the club but it's very unlikely we will ever match what is being replaced, ie, a set up that gave us three top three places in a row.

Looking around Scottish football right now I think we'd be doing well to even challenge for Top 6 place and if we get any kind of injuries to the first XI we are fucked because there is nothing else there. It also worries me a bit we are going into the season with two forwards coming from non league and who are completely unproven at this level. Sure, there are good players at that level of football in England but for every Marvin Johnson there is a James Marwood.

I've liked Irvine when I've seen him and I think he'd be a decent addition but I've no idea why he'd sign a new deal at Celtic when he is 22 and hasn't had a sniff there.

Archived