Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good find - would be happy with that. He fits into the profile we should be looking at - not the finished article with potential to develop.

More than 2 goals conceded without Laing in the side - 9

More than 2 goals conceded with Laing in the side - 0

Our back line improved vastly when he came in. As you say not the finished article but certainly the best partner we had for McManus this season.

Classic 'team need defenders, defender linked with one SPFL club, pick a few others at random to flesh out the story' type article that.

In all seriousness, I'm liking the apparent model we're adopting this summer. Can't remember the last time we looked at players in the other Scottish leagues.

I think if McIntyre wants him badly enough then the chairman will allow the development fee. But United will almost certainly offer the much more lucrative package compared to Ross County and Motherwell.

I'm not optimistic but really am hoping he signs for County, I think he's a very good player. He's a right-sided CB and played on the right of the back three for Queen of the South latterly. He looks the obvious replacement to Paul Quinn.

Would happily take Laing alongside Mick next year. We looked a far better side when they got a decent run together.

A consistent back four of Hammell, McManus, Laing and Law would be a decent place to start.

Had a discussion tonight with a current Hibs youth coach who has seen Chalmers through the years , he thinks Joe Chalmers will do well with us at left back if needed. Chalmers used to play left centre back at a younger level has a good left peg and distribution, he is also physical.Downside he is not the quickest and can be exposed to quick movement. He said he has played regularly with Erwin in the Scotland teams.

He also said that the £500k supposedly for Erwin is nonsense, nearer £350 k is what we will get. He also believes Erwin will do very well down south if he goes.

Thinks Hibees will go up automatically as Stubbs will mould an even better team next season.

I see we're playing our Footgolf in The Netherlands this year - games against Herenveen and Borrussia Munchegladbach U-23's on the cards in early July for anyone that fancies it.

This is reminding me very much of McGhee's first season. Taking an unfit squad, on the back of a shite season where we finished 2nd bottom, over to Europe for a pre-season fitness camp.

If next season can be half as good as McGhee's first season was, we'll be laughing.

I also see we're looking to confirm 4, maybe 5, other friendlies. Most, if not all, will be away from Fir Park due to the work being done on the pitch. Here's hoping for a couple of cracking lower league visits (never been to Berwick's ground so that would be good).

More than 2 goals conceded without Laing in the side - 9

More than 2 goals conceded with Laing in the side - 0

Our back line improved vastly when he came in. As you say not the finished article but certainly the best partner we had for McManus this season.

Laing and McManus looked far more composed than any team with O'Brien in it. No harm to the boy, but he was a bit of a cart horse. Just swiped his legs the way he was facing whether it hit the ball or man.

Erwin it appears away to Leeds tomorrow, for the guys who think this is a good deal we will get at most £325k. We can not put an add on as this move is not a transfer. I wish we had started negotiations prior to February as we may have kept him. Wish him all the best and I think Well fans will see him flourise elsewhere when he could have done another season with us.

Archived