The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

'Competition' for the first team jersey. If Mitchell signs then it'd be a decent enough move - done early in the summer is always a bonus as well. Ideally we'd be getting proven quality at this level, but Duffy probably feels that his hands are tied given that Gaston already has a deal for next season. It would be difficult to punt a senior player down to a clear backup role and we certainly shouldn't release him and waste that money. He's more than good enough to be involved in the squad and would allow McGowan to gain credible experience on loan.

Being dropped for McGowan in the playoffs shows that his card has been marked though; Gaston will need to improve next season or else we'll be bringing in another goalkeeper next summer as well IMO.

On 23 May 2017 at 11:29, callum-ayr said:

The guys a fraud. While at Ayr under Roberts he was never interested in working with our academy, repeatedly stated that all development leagues should be scrapped and reserve leagues should be re introduced.

Next 2 jobs are as U20s manager :lol: money talks Andy.

In fairness, there are plenty of people involved in youth coaching who think the development league format doesn't work and should be scrapped.  Doing away with reserve team football has been a big mistake.  Don't recall him being an academy coach at Ayr either, so not sure why you would expect to have been involved with them.  On the other hand, I do remember him being one of the best professionals I've seen at Ayr, I doubt he is any different as a coach.

I can exclusively reveal that Morton will sign some new players this summer. Some will create excitement and some will disappoint. My source hasn't revealed names or their positions but they will come...

I've not even read back so apologies if it's already been said but Gary Harkins will be a Morton player next season so I've been informed by his mate! More or less said he was at Cappielow today to him, only passing on what I've been informed chaps [emoji848]

Wouldn't surprise me if he did well tbh.

In our case im delighted he is gone, it was a poor fit for what you need fighting relegation and not using the player properly doesn't help.  I think he last beat a man in November up at Brechin..putting him on the wing is a rare laugh. 

To say that's an underwhelming signing is a massive understatement. A year ago I'd have been happy enough with it but all the evidence of the last season - being an abject liability in the worst team in the division - suggests he's utterly past it. Unless Duffy is planning to change the style of play, which he isn't because he's Jim Duffy, then Harkins wouldn't fit in anywhere even if he was still the player he was five years ago.

If he's being brought in cheaply as cover then he is an upgrade on the likes of Oyenuga, but if he's going to be a regular then it's a concerning sign of the standard of player we're recruiting: Ayr United failures don't take you into the top four.

Harkins created goals against us and generally caused us problems this season. We never actually looked hugely comfortable at the back against Ayr, and he was probably the biggest factor in that. 

He doesn't seem like a Duffy type signing, and I'll believe it only if it's confirmed, but we lacked creative options last season and relied too heavily on Forbes and Oliver. We could do with a different type of creative option.