The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If he's leaving Falkirk because he's not guaranteed a start there then coming to Morton wouldn't make sense, since he surely wouldn't start ahead of Oliver or Quitongo. Although possibly he's been told he'll be even lower than third choice at Falkirk.

If we're going for someone leaving Falkirk as cover, I'd prefer McHugh.

Yeah I should've said that he should still be back up if he came to Morton as Quitongo and Oliver should start every week if they're fit. But I think Falkirk have a few strikers on their books so like you said he might even be lower than 3rd choice there and wants to try somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

I think he's pish. Would avoid.

Really? I actually thought of him as being a player i'd like us to go for a few weeks ago.

He has scored nearly 50 goals over the last 3 1/2 years at this level.

i think he is exactly what we need. We have the creative player in Oliver( and potentially Harkins), We have the tall, target man type in Thomson, we have Jai who will run the channels and cause problems all over the final 3rd. What we don't have is someone who is a natural finisher in and around the box, a poacher type and i think Baird would give us that option. He would also give us a bit of experience up there as the 3 we have are all young and still learning.

I don't think we will get much better. He's a proven, experienced striker at this level.  The other player i thought of was Buchanan at Livvy.

Make it happen Jim.

Really? I actually thought of him as being a player i'd like us to go for a few weeks ago.
He has scored nearly 50 goals over the last 3 1/2 years at this level.
i think he is exactly what we need. We have the creative player in Oliver( and potentially Harkins), We have the tall, target man type in Thomson, we have Jai who will run the channels and cause problems all over the final 3rd. What we don't have is someone who is a natural finisher in and around the box, a poacher type and i think Baird would give us that option. He would also give us a bit of experience up there as the 3 we have are all young and still learning.
I don't think we will get much better. He's a proven, experienced striker at this level.  The other player i thought of was Buchanan at Livvy.
Make it happen Jim.

I never saw him as a natural finisher. He comes across very Kenny Miller-esque in that if he has time to think about what he's doing he'll fluff it but he's sharp around the box so they land to him regularly. I wouldn't have much faith in him if he was one on one though.

I don't think he'd be a particularly good signing for Morton: he's not going to get in front of Jai and Oliver and if he has to sit on the bench as 3rd choice striker you'll be wasting money on a childminder to constantly pick his dummy up.

Baird would be a clear upgrade on the parade of ringers that we had in Quitongo's absence this season. I wouldn't be against it, but he would command a full first-team wage that would arguably be better used for bringing in a first-choice player somewhere else in the team. We already have Thomson who could play there as well. 

That judgement rests on Quitongo making a full recovery and not having any lasting effects of his knee injury though, which only Duffy and the coaching staff can assess. If he's not going to be 100% recovered by July then a centre-forward is a higher priority. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Baird would be a clear upgrade on the parade of ringers that we had in Quitongo's absence this season. I wouldn't be against it, but he would command a full first-team wage that would arguably be better used for bringing in a first-choice player somewhere else in the team. We already have Thomson who could play there as well. 

That judgement rests on Quitongo making a full recovery and not having any lasting effects of his knee injury though, which only Duffy and the coaching staff can assess. If he's not going to be 100% recovered by July then a centre-forward is a higher priority. 

Duffy has said he's 100% and raring to go. Will need quite a few games to get up to speed though I'd imagine.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I never saw him as a natural finisher. He comes across very Kenny Miller-esque in that if he has time to think about what he's doing he'll fluff it but he's sharp around the box so they land to him regularly. I wouldn't have much faith in him if he was one on one though.

I don't think he'd be a particularly good signing for Morton: he's not going to get in front of Jai and Oliver and if he has to sit on the bench as 3rd choice striker you'll be wasting money on a childminder to constantly pick his dummy up.

I'm absolutely fine if he's Kenny Miller-esque. 

Every striker misses chances,  I'd still be confident of Baird doing a job for us compared to Shanks and co.

Yeah, one area he would be useful is that he does offer the pressing which no one else could last season in Quitongo's absence. He'd certainly be an upgrade on last season's cover options of Shankland, Oyenuga, Scullion and Donnelly. He's a dreadful finisher though.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 17:56, Tri-TON said:

Heard that Mitchell will be announced within the next few days, possibly the start of next week.

Falkirk Herald reporting today that Mitchell is being lined up as Robbie Thomson's challenger for Falkirk's first choice goalkeeper next season.

Edited by JustOneCornetto

Mitchell signed earlier for us, 2yr deal as back up/compete with Thomson. As for Baird you could do worse, he will run all day  and never hides. Its just he is a mentioned a mid table championship forward, prob needs about half a dozen chances a game to score. Abysmal at pens now ever since his bang it straight down the middle ethos got sussed. Had one good season when he scored about 20goals with us but a lot were pens( before he got sussed). Lot of our fans are a bit meh about him now, i think he will move, and prob best for him at his age now, needs to play every week and dont think he will get that with us. 

McHugh is probably a more natural finisher than Baird but without the same workrate and is better off the bench than starting. We will prob sign at least one striker to go with Austin, Shepherd, O'Hara and Miller who will get a player coach role. So chances are neither of them would start. 

Good impact sub McHugh. Not so good starting games. Good luck to him though hes a better finisher than Baird but not as good workrate. Baird is just back from holiday, his brother said on fb fans page and said him going to Morton was nonsense. I was hoping he was going but getting a horrible feeling he will sign on again. He wont start many games imo if he does. 

An impact sub for when Quitongo has finished hounding the opposition defence is just what we needed in our squad, so that's good news. Best of all though, he isn't Lawrence fucking Shankland. 

Herrera-6.gif

Herrera 7