The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 26/07/2021 at 15:05, #Gary said:

"It's the little things that matter"

Did your own happy clappers honestly red-dot a post which a) confirmed you'd gotten a season ticket and b) offered purely constructive criticism as to how to make the experience of spending several hundred pounds feel slightly more special?

34 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

101 ways of expressing your irrational hatred of Cameron Blues.

Version 62 with cod tactical analysis still boring as fcuk. Do give it a rest.

I don't think you're best placed to talk about boring as f**k irrational hatreds which should be given a rest tbh.

‘Irrational hatreds’ should only be tolerated during or immediately after shit performances, when it’s inevitable that [insert player’s name] will take the brunt of people’s frustrations.

Away from games, we should be able to discuss the reality of our current situation… so rather than calling e.g. Muirhead or Blues useless c***s (which I’ve been guilty of in the past; see above), the question is where/how you get the best out of them.

The ideal answer might be ‘on the bench’, but, in case anybody hasn’t noticed, we are currently taking a tanking in this ‘transfer market’… MacPherson is going to have to pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat, and soon…

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

Did your own happy clappers honestly red-dot a post which a) confirmed you'd gotten a season ticket and b) offered purely constructive criticism as to how to make the experience of spending several hundred pounds feel slightly more special?

Two points to make here:

1.  The fact his comment could be looked on as being constructive criticism is entirely coincidental; the guy is one of the biggest negmeisters on the board and he got a rid dot from me for his constant negativity. 

2. Neither of us who dotted him could be considered to be happy clappers. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

There are sufficient first team players and youths to park both on the bench, right now.

There aren’t… there really aren’t.

There’s an argument for picking Lyon in alongside Jacobs in a 4-2-3-1 (although that’s not the best place for him)… but, whether you like it or not, Muirhead, at this stage, is a clear and uncontroversial first-choice player.

Which takes us back to the issue of the deficiencies of the squad, as opposed to one or two individuals in it.

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

One doesn't appear to believe that there are any negatives in how Morton have been and continue to be run, and the other would probably red dot me if I announced I'd found a cure for cancer - he's just a bit sad, not a happy clapper.

10 hours ago, #Gary said:

One doesn't appear to believe that there are any negatives in how Morton have been and continue to be run

Strange comment, typical of the blinkered who believe that everything is either nearly 100% black  (like, for example, you do) or nearly 100% white (I haven't seen any evidence of those in our support).  

There are, obviously, plenty of issues at Cappielow that have still to be addressed and which must  be addressed, and nobody on here will dispute that. However, anyone who  expresses a more balanced overview of the current situation than you or a few others do or who isn't ranting about the club, the turnstiles, the manager or Cameron bloody Blues in every single post makes them a happy clapper in  the view of some. 

The Thumper bloke thinks you were making constructive criticism in your post. You and I both know that that was not your intention. 

Lighten up a bit, ffs. It's only fitba'.  The new regime isn't even in full control of the club yet due to whatever legal issues remain to be sorted out - give them a bloody chance before you rip them to shreds like the envelope your season ticket came in. Actually, on that - if the club HAD enclosed a fixture list, you'd have ripped it in two opening the envelope. Then you'd have been moaning because the feckers didn't laminate it. 🙄

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

re: Blues. I don't think he actually has a 'position' anywhere in the midfield however I think as the attacking midfielder behind the strikers suits him better than any others. He can't play in a DM role because he is often ball watching and the game passes him by. He's often just kinda... near players but not near enough. He isn't bad at tackling but he's not close enough to put the foot in. It's a defensive liability.

However he has shown he's got a decent shot and finish and I reckon could, possibly, do that sort of Frank Lampard/Tim Cahill thing of running ahead of the strikers from deep. Doesn't require a huge amount of creativity, flair or passing ability (he has none) but doesn't leave us short at the back either. It's also the type of position where you can be anonymous for 90% of the game (like he is currently) and still make a difference. 

19 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

re: Blues. I don't think he actually has a 'position' anywhere in the midfield however I think as the attacking midfielder behind the strikers suits him better than any others. He can't play in a DM role because he is often ball watching and the game passes him by. He's often just kinda... near players but not near enough. He isn't bad at tackling but he's not close enough to put the foot in. It's a defensive liability.

However he has shown he's got a decent shot and finish and I reckon could, possibly, do that sort of Frank Lampard/Tim Cahill thing of running ahead of the strikers from deep. Doesn't require a huge amount of creativity, flair or passing ability (he has none) but doesn't leave us short at the back either. It's also the type of position where you can be anonymous for 90% of the game (like he is currently) and still make a difference. 

I know what your saying but Cameron Blues and Frank Lampard in the same sentence is a real struggle for me.

21 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If he’s going to continue in that ‘role’, we’d be better off mutually consenting him… because he’s shown over and over again he doesn’t have the work-rate or intelligence to play it. Too often it’s been like having ten men, because he’s totally uninvolved in the game (so popping up with a goal twice a season comes nowhere compensating for the strain that puts on the rest of the team).

If you want to coach more out of players who’ve struggled, you need to ask them to do something different - and preferably ‘less difficult’ and ‘simpler’… not just keep expecting them to do what they can’t.

[I won’t labour the Cahill/Lampard thing, for obvious reasons, just to say that both those players, when they weren’t ‘arriving’ in the box, were bursting their arses for the team all over the pitch… again, not something I’m expecting to see from CB any time soon).

Dodging the O'Ware bullet - excellent news

Going into the league season with the squad as it is - a dreadful state of affairs

MacPherson has said four to come, but I think we need a minimum of five.

GK - Hamilton, cover from Wylie (20 years old, no first team appearances)

DF - Strapp, Ledger, McLean, Lithgow, Hynes (who's only played 10 games for us despite being 22). Russell could also cover left back. No youth players available to cover that we're aware of.

CM - Jacobs, Lyon, Blues. McGrattan (20, 7 appearances) and King (16 and 1 appearance v East Kilbride) the youth options to cover. Oliver could also play in an attacking midfield role.

WM/WF - Russell. Muirhead and Oliver could play out wide but we have enough evidence that neither of them are very good at it. The youth players available are Garrity (19, 3 appearances, all in the League Cup this month) and McGregor (17, 2 appearances in the League Cup which included a great goal v Killie).

CF - Ugwu, Muirhead, Oliver, plus Easdale (21, 3 appearances).

With the age and injury records of McLean & Lithgow we need another centre back. An alternative to Jacobs in holding midfield is essential. We need another creative central midfield option and a winger. We need another centre forward as an alternative to Ugwu, particularly if we are going to be forced to use Oliver and/or Muirhead elsewhere with how short we are all over the park.

Even if we were to make five signings rather than four, it's still going to be a tiny first team pool with regular games for the youngsters. The outstanding signings all need to be successes and we can't really afford many of the youngsters not coping with the step up either, as even with the signings to come they'll only be a couple of injuries/suspensions away from a start.

Edited by Dunning1874

I get where Gus is coming from in waiting to get the right players. But we're going into the first league game tomorrow with about 4/5 players minimum short. 

What if the waiting on the players costs us about 15 points, would it still be worth it?  

Is he waiting for the right player, or has he been dinghied by the handful of (obvious, never going to happen) 'targets' that he could identify and can't find any credible options from outside the tiny Scottish market? 

There's no chance that this is a deliberate strategy, so the issue that will decide our season is whether he can reverse his failure in the transfer market later in the window, or panic-sign haddies instead.