The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

It’s perfectly reasonable to express concerns about the way the MCT era has begun… but it’s way too early to be writing it off as somehow doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. That’s an ongoing conversation, and a 12-18 month timeframe is appropriate (during which time, btw, those of us who are members will have the opportunity to input directly).

Similarly, it’s a perfectly reasonable position to argue that McPherson didn’t do enough last year to warrant a two-year deal or that he shouldn’t have signed Blues etc… but we are where we are and we need to see what kind of team he actually puts on the park and how we compete before any valid judgement can be made.

In the meantime, might be a good idea if we can all play the post rather than the poster. By all means call out the arguments; absolutely no need to get personal.

16 hours ago, virginton said:

You can't though, when you've already signed up the same manager and senior players for next season. If Gus McPherson meets his remit for first team performance this season, but the club decides it wants to go part-time and he shows zero interest in that project, who wins that tug of war? Does the club (i.e. us, as owners) pay off the manager and waste resources, or do the board backpedal on what it considers to be the best long-term policy for the club to keep the manager? 

This is precisely why having a clear deck is the ideal time to achieve genuine change at the club, because once you commit to 'league survival' on a season by season basis, the higher the financial and psychological costs are from changing course later. 

Again, there’s no actual contradiction between the desirability of medium-term planning and the need to prioritise what’s immediately in front of you.

Whether you like it or not, the priority is the season almost upon us. How we do will have a huge knock-on effect for next season… and every longer-term decision, especially on the manager, is effectively provisional at this stage.

You don’t agree with some of the decisions made; fine. But the people who made them will be answerable for them in due course. Their reading of the next 12 months might be better than yours; we’ll soon find out.

16 hours ago, virginton said:

You seem to imagine that GMFC are capable of a completely rational restructure behind the scenes, while also keeping a competitive second tier team on the park. That is the truly imaginary, delusional, wishful thinking exercise in operation here. We often struggle to put a competitive team together without changing anything at all in the backroom operations.

The useless compromises that actually come from trying to keep the club on both of those tracks at the same time have been playing out at the club almost entirely as I've predicted for two months now. The only one that I didn't get right was that we'd actually hand over a ridiculous two year deal to the management team as well, but that's Morton for you in overdelivering when it comes to inexplicable decision-making. 

‘Calling in’ predictions is a strange thing in general; when you’re right, people know you’re right (same goes for when you’re wrong, btw).

Calling in predictions about what the new regime are and are not capable of *at this stage* is just ridiculous.

I have no idea, this early in a new regime that hasn’t even been formally confirmed, what GMFC are ‘capable of’; neither do you.

Your reading of ‘bad decisions’ is entirely predicated on what you think is going to happen next - we eventually get relegated and have to go part-time/hybrid - actually happening.

It might, it might not, but the contingency planning either way isn’t that complex.

Let’s focus - preferably separately for the moment - on what McPherson and MCT actually do over the next couple of months… and play it from there.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Surely whoever wanted Morton to stay up or wanted us relegated now have to accept we’re playing in the Championship and get behind the team. 
Is there anything to be gained by fast forwarding to the end of the season when again we’ll either stay up or be relegated. The play-offs got us to where we are now and wherever we are at the end of the season will be the product of that. If we get behind our team in the traditional manner, wanting the most successful outcome possible, it may help them achieve that outcome.

Whether we "get behind the team" on an online Internet forum or not will make 0% difference to the performance of the first team, you doddery clown.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Again, there’s no actual contradiction between the desirability of medium-term planning and the need to prioritise what’s immediately in front of you.

Whether you like it or not, the priority is the season almost upon us. How we do will have a huge knock-on effect for next season… and every longer-term decision, especially on the manager, is effectively provisional at this stage.

You don’t agree with some of the decisions made; fine. But the people who made them will be answerable for them in due course. Their reading of the next 12 months might be better than yours; we’ll soon find out.

‘Calling in’ predictions is a strange thing in general; when you’re right, people know you’re right (same goes for when you’re wrong, btw).

Calling in predictions about what the new regime are and are not capable of *at this stage* is just ridiculous.

I have no idea, this early in a new regime that hasn’t even been formally confirmed, what GMFC are ‘capable of’; neither do you.

Your reading of ‘bad decisions’ is entirely predicated on what you think is going to happen next - we eventually get relegated and have to go part-time/hybrid - actually happening.

It might, it might not, but the contingency planning either way isn’t that complex.

Let’s focus - preferably separately for the moment - on what McPherson and MCT actually do over the next couple of months… and play it from there.

Erm no, MCT have been on the clock since April. They are already responsible for handing over a two year deal to a caretaker. The club hasn't had a day to day executive since January, but not until last week did the club actually publish a vacancy for that role. This should have been agreed on by both parties in the takeover as an essential post to fill and applications taken before the season was completed. 

The point here is not that MCT are uniquely incompetent stewards who need to go. It is that GMFC as a football club reflects decades of incompetence, lethargy and half-arsedness that cannot be magically solved overnight by regime change. There is a culture of failure that will take years to root out.

The folly is that people think it is possible to pursue that goal while keeping a stable Championship side, and that by pursuing the same, gubbins short-term priorities as the Rae regime we'll end up in anything other than the same boat as before in the end. We won't. We haven't even been able to contest the first game of the season today, such is the underlying level of incompetence that has to be dealt with here. 

Edited by vikingTON

.... and now for something completely different:

Looks like our opener against the Pars could be a tough shift after them banging 4 past Thistle aided by a less than impressive Tam O'Ware apparently.

I'm assuming we have a covid-free team of course.....which wont be a given.

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

We haven't even been able to contest the first game of the season today, such is the underlying level of incompetence that has to be dealt with here. 

If you’re running past the obvious - a Covid outbreak beyond anyone’s control - straight to ‘incompetence’, without any evidence to back that up, it’s pretty clear nothing this or any other regime do is going to satisfy you.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

Whether we "get behind the team" on an online Internet forum or not will make 0% difference to the performance of the first team, you doddery clown.

So hang on.......... you’re powers of de-compartmentalising are so strong, you can mercilessly lambast the board, management and players on this and the Morton forum, whilst wishing the team to be relegated. But when you actually attend Cappielow you morph into someone who wholeheartedly gives your support to all the above. That takes some doing I must admit. I can just imagine you cheering the team on in a relegation play-off, then going back to your keyboard to verbally destroy all of your many “online only” targets, safe in the knowledge none of them will read these forums therefore no harm will come to their efforts to achieve some level of success. 

On 10/07/2021 at 17:19, virginton said:

Of course not. No Scottish footballer EVER reads Pie & Bovril. And ESPECIALLY not the forums dedicated to the teams they play for or have just signed for. And even if they did, they're all far too mature to allow the level of negativity they'd find to have the slightest effect on them in any way, shape or form.   😳

(Actually, I agree that what's on here won't have much effect on on-the-field performances.  But I don't think there can be any doubt that the almost constantly negative drivel posted by you and few other numpties both here and on the Morton board can certainly have a negative effect on individual and team morale. The only thing in question is the degree of that effect) 

5 hours ago, #Gary said:

"we can't be arsed" 

We'd be as well having Crawford Rae and Dave McKinnon still running the show.

Screenshot_20210713-123002.thumb.jpg.d0ecc54a756b8bce5d6fde1e5e9211e2.jpg

It's quite clear that the club want the game to go ahead. 

It's also quite clear that the decision on whether it goes ahead or not is not down to them. 

Still, don't let that stop you from hanging the blame on Morton. Obviously, you know best..........       🤑

10 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

It's quite clear that the club want the game to go ahead. 

It's also quite clear that the decision on whether it goes ahead or not is not down to them. 

Still, don't let that stop you from hanging the blame on Morton. Obviously, you know best..........       🤑

On the contrary, the club wanted and assumed the game would be off, hence why they told the Tele.

It would also help if I was even on about the game going ahead and not about the fact that Morton ("WE made the decision that it would be behind closed doors") are again showing they do not give one flying f**k about the fans as long as we give them our money every month.

Edited by #Gary

3 minutes ago, #Gary said:

On the contrary, the club wanted and assumed the game would be off, hence why they told the Tele.

It would also help if I was even on about the game going ahead and not about the fact that Morton ("WE made the decision that it would be behind closed doors") are again showing they do not give one flying f**k about the fans as long as we give them our money every month.

If you're that convinced that that's their attitude, why don't you vote with your feet? Don't go to games, don't buy the streams, cancel your MCT direct debit and just spout nonsense on here. THAT'LL show 'em....... 

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

If you're that convinced that that's their attitude, why don't you vote with your feet? Don't go to games, don't buy the streams, cancel your MCT direct debit and just spout nonsense on here. THAT'LL show 'em....... 

🤡

Dare I say it but Hamilton looked very decent tonight. Very assured coming off his line and made a couple of good saves.

I've personally  not seen him have a bad game. I believe he will be a very decent signing 

Dare I say it but Hamilton looked very decent tonight. Very assured coming off his line and made a couple of good saves.

I've personally  not seen him have a bad game. I believe he will be a very decent signing 
will bookmark this

20 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

This forth coming season fills me with dread.

Aye… most Morton supporters are giving it fingers crossed/benefit of the doubt through this transition (with a covid bomb launched into the middle)…

… but the longer it goes without clarity behind the scenes and the addition of quality to the squad, the more worrying it gets.

We’re behind on all fronts; next month or so is absolutely critical.

A few of our youth graduates in the first team squad are going to be put out on loan according to Goodwin.  Given McPherson's history with Saints I'm sure the club would help him out. These players have talent Dylan Ried in particular is outstanding the youngest player to play in the Premiership.  Only 16 has a big future in the game. Best of luck in the coming season.  

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Dave Mackinnon Co comms on killie TV tomorrow. Fully expect some passive aggressive altering of history regarding his time at morton.

No offence to anyone other than Dave McKinnon… but f**k Dave McKinnon.

Do we have a fit and available team to put on the park?

Any new additions?

Silence.