The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Interesting in Dougie's pre match interview for today he was equivocal about the length of time Jack Baird will be out. Nothing certain but hopefully back a lot sooner than was first expected. We can but hope.

12 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

Interesting in Dougie's pre match interview for today he was equivocal about the length of time Jack Baird will be out. Nothing certain but hopefully back a lot sooner than was first expected. We can but hope.

Yeah I picked up on that too. If he's got a hand injury as has been stated, he could potentially play with a brace on after a couple of weeks. Would be huge to get him back early.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hopkin didn't just promise this to Muirhead privately, he made a very public point that he was given the number 9 jersey because being an out and out centre forward is his game and he'd lost his way because of managers consistently playing him elsewhere. Then he played him at left wing back as often as he played him up front.

Watching Muirhead at left-back trying to cope with Declan fkn McDaid then getting sent off for appluading the ref is one of the most dismal things I've witnessed as a Morton supporter (and there's been plenty of competition)....

... but there are levels to this, because, whatever Hopkin said publicly or privately, Muirhead to that point had shown absolutely nothing to suggest he was a credible centre-forward. MacPherson didn't see him there, either, and neither did Imrie at first: it was only injuries and suspensions for Quitongo that persuaded him to bin playing Muirhead wide right; and it was only at that point, for the first time since he signed for us, that he actually showed he might be able to play that position.

Even then, it's not his _best_ position, because he has a bizarre habit of trying to position his body under the ball rather than compete for it in the air... a pretty big deficiency for a 'centre-forward'.

Hopkin and MacPherson made many bad decisions (alongside the occasional good one) while we were stuck with them, but thinking Robbie Muirhead might not be a centre-forward doesn't rank too highly among them (although you could argue that Hopkin was actually double wrong: thinking he should play there in the first place, then punting him everywhere else...).

That will do me v Rangers away.

Let's be honest, gets us a cash injection and should allow MCT directors to release the cash needed to get a few signings over the line and on to a good championship challenge again.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Why not

Would rather have had them, or the other lot, further on in the competition for more money and a bigger crowd, but given there's no guarantee we'd've got through the next round against anybody else I'm happy enough with that.

And who knows, we might just be daft enough to do it ...... 🤙😁

Hard to know what to say about Benny Rooney, by far and away the best manager we’ve had in my time watching Morton…

Five consecutive seasons in the (10-team) top flight, highest finish of 6th, two cup semi-finals, but most important, some unbelievable days watching us beat the best teams in the country (some of whom at the time were good enough to make European finals, and even win one).

All of this playing a brand of football that was a unique combination of the old virtues — hard as nails, relentlessly competive — and outrageous fantasy. You could say Rooney was lucky with local talent of the quality of Orr and McLaughlin coming through, but getting Ritchie and getting the best out of him is masterstroke territory.

’Legend’ is the most ridiculously over-used word in football, but Rooney is a genuine Morton legend. Alex Ferguson is regarded as the best manager in the history of British football; over that five seasons in the top flight, Rooney had a 50-50 record against him… and famously knocked them out of the cup a week after beating them at Pittodrie in the league.

Just let that sink in.

R.I.P.

28 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Would rather have had them, or the other lot, further on in the competition for more money and a bigger crowd, but given there's no guarantee we'd've got through the next round against anybody else I'm happy enough with that.

And who knows, we might just be daft enough to do it ...... 🤙😁

Nah, take it now, bank some, spend some, and send the team out with the simple objective of doing better than at Parkhead last season.

As you say, you never know…

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Hard to know what to say about Benny Rooney, by far and away the best manager we’ve had in my time watching Morton…

Five consecutive seasons in the (10-team) top flight, highest finish of 6th, two cup semi-finals, but most important, some unbelievable days watching us beat the best teams in the country (some of whom at the time were good enough to make European finals, and even win one).

All of this playing a brand of football that was a unique combination of the old virtues — hard as nails, relentlessly competive — and outrageous fantasy. You could say Rooney was lucky with local talent of the quality of Orr and McLaughlin coming through, but getting Ritchie and getting the best out of him is masterstroke territory.

’Legend’ is the most ridiculously over-used word in football, but Rooney is a genuine Morton legend. Alex Ferguson is regarded as the best manager in the history of British football; over that five seasons in the top flight, Rooney had a 50-50 record against him… and famously knocked them out of the cup a week after beating them at Pittodrie in the league.

Just let that sink in.

R.I.P.

Well said. 

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Nah, take it now, bank some, spend some, and send the team out with the simple objective of doing better than at Parkhead last season.

As you say, you never know…

I was at Ibrox when we beat Rangers 0-1 in the league .

Winning goal score by Jim Tolmie .. crackin player for Benny's team.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Just let that sink in.

R.I.P.

Fantastic manager and a great time to be following Morton. Hal Stewart.........Benny Rooney...........Dougie Imrie?????

In Alex Ferguson autobiography he said We could beat Real Madrid Celtic and Rangers win the league but we just couldn't beat fucking Greenock Morton. And one man was to blame for that and that was Benny Rooney R.I.P. 

16 hours ago, gmfc said:

In Alex Ferguson autobiography he said We could beat Real Madrid Celtic and Rangers win the league but we just couldn't beat fucking Greenock Morton. And one man was to blame for that and that was Benny Rooney R.I.P. 

That comment from Fergie is testimony to how well Benny managed that team ... a well deserved compliment.

I havent heard any mention of Mike Jackson for a long time. Anyone shed any light?

54 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

That comment from Fergie is testimony to how well Benny managed that team ... a well deserved compliment.

I havent heard any mention of Mike Jackson for a long time. Anyone shed any light?

I think he passed away also.

Looking for some help, cannot see any contact details on the website for the clubs ticket office.

I am out of town and I'm trying to purchase a couple of Child (12-15, Main Stand/Terrace) season 23/24 tickets to pass forward on behalf of a supporter who recently passed away. I can see the online application on the website but it would be easier if I had a phone number to call as I just want the tickets to be given away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, doctor feelgood said:

Looking for some help, cannot see any contact details on the website for the clubs ticket office.

I am out of town and I'm trying to purchase a couple of Child (12-15, Main Stand/Terrace) season 23/24 tickets to pass forward on behalf of a supporter who recently passed away. I can see the online application on the website but it would be easier if I had a phone number to call as I just want the tickets to be given away.

If you phone 01475 723571 they should direct you.

2 hours ago, doctor feelgood said:

There's also an official scheme to donate for season tickets to be used by those that need them.

You may be directed to that scheme as an option.