The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

I actually don’t disagree with your point about living within your means. My issue is you have read our accounts but you clearly don’t understand them and as a result are making yourself look more than a little foolish. You are at it again with your reference to assets funding a spending spree. Hopefully Mrs Branch Ton deals with all things monetary in your household as I fear emptying a piggy bank is the extent of your financial knowledge.

He doesn't really HAVE assets to go on a spending spree.

Uses the receipt from his electric scooter as collateral for bog roll.

16 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

If we punt Hancock for a decent amount he'd certainly be one I'd hope we'd look at.

I actually heard (potentially) my first silly season rumour last night. The gym I go to has recently had an influx of part time footballers, I was in last night and overheard a conversation among 3 of them claiming that Strapp,  Strappy as he was referred to in this conversation, was offered just shy of a grand a week to go to Clyde at the time he extended his deal at Morton this season. Immediately you’ve got to think it’s a load of shite but I’m pretty sure Clyde have some decent money behind them at the moment so you never know.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

I actually heard (potentially) my first silly season rumour last night. The gym I go to has recently had an influx of part time footballers, I was in last night and overheard a conversation among 3 of them claiming that Strapp,  Strappy as he was referred to in this conversation, was offered just shy of a grand a week to go to Clyde at the time he extended his deal at Morton this season. Immediately you’ve got to think it’s a load of shite but I’m pretty sure Clyde have some decent money behind them at the moment so you never know.

I suspect it's bravado and bullshit, however, having said that I'd also suspect that most sensible footballers with an eye on the next step of their career would take £600 from Morton for 6 months with the chance to impress in the championship and make the same or more again rather than take £850 to maybe come last in the pyramid and have little to no forward value beyond a years contract at some bunch of shanners like East Kilbride.

Edited by cb_diamond

Imrie would have known Strapp wouldn't accept that offer.

In addition  he released Watters.

I'm almost certain Imrie has someone lined up for the LB role.

Just now, Colkitto said:

"It would be irresponsible of the manager or myself to hand out strong financial contracts to players who are unable to meet the demands of playing for the Greenock Morton badge in terms of training time each day and match appearances.

"We, as a club, cannot afford to have players training less than 75 per cent of the season and missing a high number of matches sitting in a physio room, as has been seen this season.

This could explain why strapps offer was low his injury issues, he’ll spend more time with the physio than playing 

8 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Does the same thing apply to Oakley and Crawford?

Why bother making offers you know aren't going to be accepted?

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Does the same thing apply to Oakley and Crawford?

Why bother making offers you know aren't going to be accepted?

Because there's a chance they will be accepted?

Fan backlash if we at the very least didn't offer a contract?

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Because there's a chance they will be accepted?

Fan backlash if we at the very least didn't offer a contract?

Ok, but the logic of what you said ('Imrie has someone lined up') implies that's the player Imrie wants... what happens to that if Strapp then signs?

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Ok, but the logic of what you said ('Imrie has someone lined up') implies that's the player Imrie wants... what happens to that if Strapp then 

I got the impression from what Dale said that he was tasked with undertaking the negotiations based on Imrie’s wish list. The whole point of this process is offer, rejection counter offer etc so it makes no sense to just chuck your toys out of the pram after the initial offer which what is being implied with Strapp. Crawford and Muirhead clearly had their new clubs lined up well before Morton began this years process but I doubt Oakley would have committed to dross like Ayr at this stage of negotiations. 

There must be other forms of creative remuneration packages such as leased vehicles we could provide to sway a deal particularly if we are putting the Welsh guy up in accommodation. Presumably Baird is getting something for his image rights in regard to his modelling of the new kit etc.  Can’t see Gorgeous George making much from modelling Ayr tat.

26 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

I got the impression from what Dale said that he was tasked with undertaking the negotiations based on Imrie’s wish list. The whole point of this process is offer, rejection counter offer etc so it makes no sense to just chuck your toys out of the pram after the initial offer which what is being implied with Strapp. Crawford and Muirhead clearly had their new clubs lined up well before Morton began this years process but I doubt Oakley would have committed to dross like Ayr at this stage of negotiations. 

There must be other forms of creative remuneration packages such as leased vehicles we could provide to sway a deal particularly if we are putting the Welsh guy up in accommodation. Presumably Baird is getting something for his image rights in regard to his modelling of the new kit etc.  Can’t see Gorgeous George making much from modelling Ayr tat.

Try and not get too worked up this weekend please. Not after you gave yourself a brain aneurysm through the week over a football player. 

Posted (edited)

That news about the offer for Strapp being less than what he was on has annoyed a lot of the fanbase, a kick in the baws if you will, can only think it's maybe due to the fact he is a bit injury prone, still tho he's worth the gamble. The club announced a decent profit on what we made the season before, that profit that was announced publicly to the fans was on the assumption we would finish 8th, very strange that we would offer possibly our best player at the club a new contact on reduced terms when we know fine well he's never going to accept it. We can only assume Dougie already has a new LB lined up, if not it's a bit alarming, Dale might need to stick out another heart warming video.

Edited by M0rtonfc

1 hour ago, M0rtonfc said:

That news about the offer for Strapp being less than what he was on has annoyed a lot of the fanbase, a kick in the baws if you will, can only think it's maybe due to the fact he is a bit injury prone, still tho he's worth the gamble. The club announced a decent profit on what we made the season before, that profit that was announced publicly to the fans was on the assumption we would finish 8th, very strange that we would offer possibly our best player at the club a new contact on reduced terms when we know fine well he's never going to accept it. We can only assume Dougie already has a new LB lined up, if not it's a bit alarming, Dale might need to stick out another heart warming video.

No more videos please. There is a certain irony in a chubby lad talking about fitness.

Posted (edited)

It's pretty clear from those comments to the Tele that we could have offered Strapp more and chose not to because he's had one long term injury. It may come as a shock to under contract Iain Wilson and Ryan Mullen that we don't want players with a track record of injuries who you can't get 40 games a season out of, while we've offered new contracts to Grant Gillespie who is also injury prone, and Kirk Broadfoot who aside from being shite is also turning 40 in August. It's would be harsh to even describe Strapp as injury prone in the first place.

It's the managers prerogative to spend the budget how he wants but we'll regret not doing everything we can to keep him. There's no chance we'll sign a left back of the same quality and very little chance that bringing in a cheaper replacement to free up more money to address other areas of the park will get us someone with the quality or influence on the rest of the team to make up for what we lose with a mediocrity at left back rather than Strapp.

Particularly with the same centre backs next season if O'Connor and Broadfoot accept their offers, we need full backs who are good on the ball and can move us up the park either by carrying it themselves or being able to play a forward pass to feet in order to not be totally one dimensional, when we know the centre backs can't do that. Without Strapp this season we were easy to play against as mopping up long balls was all teams had to do to stop us, we weren't capable of doing anything else because Waters was poor in possession and French is possibly the worst passer of a ball in the history of professional football.

Losing players because other clubs are blowing us out the water financially as in the case of Oakley, Muirhead and Crawford can't be helped. Losing another (a better player than those three) because you haven't even seriously tried to keep him and have made an offer he was always going to reject is stupid.

Edited by Dunning1874

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's no chance we'll sign a left back of the same quality and very little chance that bringing in a cheaper replacement to free up more money to address other areas of the park will get us someone with the quality or influence on the rest of the team to make up for what we lose with a mediocrity at left back rather than Strapp.

If only we had recent historical evidence like trying, and failing, to do just that last summer to help with such a decision

28 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Fair few rumours up our way that we will be signing Jack Hamilton to play alongside his brother next season. Remember him being pretty good at you lads?

Aye he was a great keeper for us. Disappointed to lose him to Livi