The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Only way I can make sense of the Strapp situation is to assume the club know more, specifically, about Strapp's most recent injury than we do.

Leaves me wondering if there might therefore be scope for a re-run of last year, where we end up making an improved offer when the player is fully fit... but that might well be clutching at straws.

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Fair few rumours up our way that we will be signing Jack Hamilton to play alongside his brother next season. Remember him being pretty good at you lads?

Ignore anything Dundee fans say (should be pretty standard practice anyway).

Decent keeper.

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Aye he was a great keeper for us. Disappointed to lose him to Livi

I stand by my opinion that if he didn't get injured in January going into the winter training camp in Turkey, that he'd be our number 1 by now. Just a victim of really bad timing with us, he looked fairly decent for us whenever he played.

On 18/05/2024 at 16:00, Colkitto said:

I'm almost certain Imrie has someone lined up for the LB role.

I would say Scott McMann as they both played together at Accies and if it wasn't for us having Jackson Longridge I think we would also be looking at him as well but with the amount of players you are losing currently due to money it's probably unlikely that you could afford McMann.

Posted (edited)

Very uninspiring list of friendlies announced, no glamour friendly to celebrate to 150th anniversary unless it’s in the pipeline and we don’t know 

Edited by Cowshed

4 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I would say Scott McMann as they both played together at Accies and if it wasn't for us having Jackson Longridge I think we would also be looking at him as well but with the amount of players you are losing currently due to money it's probably unlikely that you could afford McMann.

Fair to say that if Imrie somehow manages to sign McMann, all will swiftly be forgiven on the Strapp front.

Hard to see it, though.

On 20/05/2024 at 12:18, Lichtie78 said:

Fair few rumours up our way that we will be signing Jack Hamilton to play alongside his brother next season. Remember him being pretty good at you lads?

He was outstanding for us, despite coming with a reputation in tatters. It was no surprise he went to the premier league after us. Unless something dramatic has happened in the last few years, he’d be a fantastic singing for an upper half championship team, never mind a league one side.

On 20/05/2024 at 22:17, Cowshed said:

Very uninspiring list of friendlies announced, no glamour friendly to celebrate to 150th anniversary unless it’s in the pipeline and we don’t know 

Dale says in the tele it's all about getting the new squad bedded in to the new surroundings and club culture etc. before the league cup, which makes plenty of sense but as you say it's an opportunity missed where we probably could've made a few bob off of a commemorative match of sorts. Also implies that we plan on having the bulk of our new signings through the door in the next 5 weeks before they friendlies start. 

Posted (edited)

I've not seen the Tele so I could be wide of the mark..... but there may a commemorative match still to be announced but they don't want to raise hopes and it not come off (we have previous for this iirc)

Edited by MORleyTON
Typo

On 20/05/2024 at 12:18, Lichtie78 said:

stoned puppet GIF

8 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Dale says in the tele it's all about getting the new squad bedded in to the new surroundings and club culture etc. before the league cup, which makes plenty of sense but as you say it's an opportunity missed where we probably could've made a few bob off of a commemorative match of sorts. Also implies that we plan on having the bulk of our new signings through the door in the next 5 weeks before they friendlies start. 

It might hint that we're fishing in some unusual waters for players at the moment (similar to Davies). 

If we end up with a bunch of folk with 200 games a piece trying to 'get used' to the big crowd surroundings of Annan (h) then it can be filed alongside his 'minerals' patter from the previous interview. 

Happy with that. He's had some poor runs of form in every season with us and ideally you'd want him to be cover first and foremost rather than a starter, but he also had the best run of his career this season playing on the right of midfield and was better at right back than the alleged right back.

He'll always need good players around him to perform in midfield rather than being someone who'll take a game by the scruff of the neck himself, but with the versatility he's added to his game and the extent of the rebuild we're looking at already, keeping an average Championship player who can cover a few positions is fine.

Posted (edited)

Happy with the extension, as others have said, gives us a decent option to work with.

Got an update from MCT earlier, positive comments around increased numbers in membership and contributions....allowing for increasing the budget for the coming season. Short and sweet but feels positive. Hopefully we see some more player news soon. 

MCT Update 

We are thrilled to share an update on our recent membership drive. In the past 7 days, we have welcomed 16 new members and received multiple increases in contributions from our incredible members.
Your support and contributions have been incredible over the past 5 years, and we are immensely grateful for your unwavering support.

We would also like to announce that we have made an additional  £10,000 contribution to this season player budget, supplementing our regular monthly contribution of £11,000 to the overall club budget. We are also assisting with a further £5,000 towards the upgrade of the players' gym.

Looking ahead, we are planning to increase our monthly contribution from the start of the 24/25 season. This growth and increased support are only possible because of our incredible members.

We have more exciting plans in the pipeline for this summer, which we believe will further enhance our ability to support the club. Stay tuned for these updates, as we continue to work together to propel Morton forward.

Edited by MORleyTON

I’m happy enough with Blues, Broadfoot though…

I understand we need some sort of depth, but if the answer to “Could he start games for us?@ is “No” - we should not be signing him. We do not have the resources to waste on people that can’t be called upon.

I always felt Blues should have kicked on a bit more last season. I'm glad he's signed on again though as not only can he play in various positions he's also rarely on the treatment table (touch wood).

I see Broadfoot has also signed on again. He had a poor start of the season but finished strongly. He was also our 4th top goal scorer. A fitness fanatic he's probably fitter than a lot of the youngsters at the club. And he has bags of experience too which is important too.  

But there is no getting away from the age factor. As cover, the signing is perfectly fine. Lets see who Dougie also signs in his position. 

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I always felt Blues should have kicked on a bit more last season. I'm glad he's signed on again though as not only can he play in various positions he's also rarely on the treatment table (touch wood).

I see Broadfoot has also signed on again. He had a poor start of the season but finished strongly. He was also our 4th top goal scorer. A fitness fanatic he's probably fitter than a lot of the youngsters at the club. And he has bags of experience too which is important too.  

But there is no getting away from the age factor. As cover, the signing is perfectly fine. Lets see who Dougie also signs in his position. 

Is he even fine as cover though? I feel we get worse 90% of the time he’s on the park.

3 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Is he even fine as cover though? I feel we get worse 90% of the time he’s on the park.

I'd say as a last resort he is, but only if we have 3 better options at the club. He's also been hailed at numerous clubs for the example he sets off the park, in a so-far grim summer transfer window I like to tell myself that goes some way towards justifying his place on the wage bill.