The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

36 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Delighted with that and sounds like Airdrie fans disappointed to see him leave which is a good omen for us.

Exactly, like every other team you can expect the "aye but he was injured a lot, watsons a better right back, I dont think we'll miss him, we've got better now" pish from a few of our fans.  The fact is, hes a more than capable full back in this league and if it wasn't for him being injured/suspended and Megwa/Hancock bursting onto the scene, he'd have been a first choice full back for us.

Dont let anyone (airdrie fans) kid you, this is a very good signing for you / loss for us.

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Exactly, like every other team you can expect the "aye but he was injured a lot, watsons a better right back, I dont think we'll miss him, we've got better now" pish from a few of our fans.  The fact is, hes a more than capable full back in this league and if it wasn't for him being injured/suspended and Megwa/Hancock bursting onto the scene, he'd have been a first choice full back for us.

Dont let anyone (airdrie fans) kid you, this is a very good signing for you / loss for us.

Sounds like a great piece of business.

I watched Cammy play in 5 games last season (Airdrie-supporting girlfriend - but she’s 100% great in every other way so I reluctantly allow it) and I’ve been really impressed by the laddie every time. Committed, solid, dependable, aggressive, and seemingly unburstable. I always thought that blue & white hoops would really suit him, but I also always thought that a player of his quality would be out of reach for us financially. So an unexpected, but utterly top-notch signing for Ton - and one who will undoubtedly be key during next season’s playoffs. 

On 13/06/2024 at 10:52, The Ghost of B A R P said:

To repeat, the timing, the location, and the standard of football all make this a very strange move. Even if it happens, I’ll be amazed if he’s still there at the end of the mooted contract.

This “standard of football” argument is one I’m really not understanding around Strapp’s move to SJK.

People seem to be suggesting that because he’s not signing for HJK then it’s a bad move. But in reality he’s signing for a top 6 club in Finland who are regularly competitive at the top end of the league and play European football frequently. The Finnish top flight isn’t as good as ours, but Strapp is making a comfortable step up from playing in the Scottish Championship. And aye, it’ll be a cold few months in winter, but I’m sure he’ll be making a reasonable wage and will enjoy trying something a bit different while playing a decent standard of football. Good for him, and I hope it works out.

36 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

This “standard of football” argument is one I’m really not understanding around Strapp’s move to SJK.

People seem to be suggesting that because he’s not signing for HJK then it’s a bad move. But in reality he’s signing for a top 6 club in Finland who are regularly competitive at the top end of the league and play European football frequently. The Finnish top flight isn’t as good as ours, but Strapp is making a comfortable step up from playing in the Scottish Championship. And aye, it’ll be a cold few months in winter, but I’m sure he’ll be making a reasonable wage and will enjoy trying something a bit different while playing a decent standard of football. Good for him, and I hope it works out.

Great result for Dougie too. He’s been doing everything in his power to show Lewis out the door. At this rate he’ll soon have a clear run at winning Ton Fans’ favour, without bothering himself with any local academy players for fans to support. 

Yep, if only we had more guid, local academy players like *checks notes* Lewis McGrattan to get maximum attention for the minimum amount of actual contribution in a jersey. Snapped up on the open market already I see!

Greenock Morton is, for the time being, a full-time professional football club rather than a social club for assorted Inverclyde-region footballers. I for one approve of Imrie's entirely professional attitude towards so-called academy 'products', and your embittered post merely underlines the previous point that you are a total fud.

Thanks for playing anyway - enjoy your night.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

I hope it works out for him, too… but that doesn’t change the fact that the standard in the Finnish top division, outside HJK and the occasional challengers - KuPS Kaupio recently, and Inter Turku before that - is really poor.

Raith and Partick would be challenging to win that league: HJK have a habit of being underwhelming, but getting there in the end… not a million miles away from Dundee Utd eventually beating Raith last year.

I haven’t checked in detail, but I’d guess that Finnish teams (including HJK) have made less of a dent in European competition recently than League of Ireland teams.

And I’ll stick my neck out and say that Morton are at least as good as SJK. I don’t think he’s ‘stepping up’ from top half Scottish Championship.

Very happy with Ballantyne. A huge upgrade on what we had at right back last season and great to have a full back who's comfortable moving to the other side if needed.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Very happy with Ballantyne. A huge upgrade on what we had at right back last season and great to have a full back who's comfortable moving to the other side if needed.

I actually thought his best form for Airdrie was often at left back. He was quite poor for the first 3/4 of his first season at right back (three red cards in nine games at one point) but once he moved to left back as part of an experienced defence he was excellent. Moved around the defence last season when fit to accommodate Megwa and Hancock too but very adaptable.

He’s got the tenacity and drive to be perfect for an Imrie team. As you say he’s an upgrade on what Morton had at right back last season and if you can’t find a replacement for Strapp, Ballantyne is more than comfortable on that side.

While I’m here, thoughts on Lewis McGrattan? Seems like someone who has been around the Morton team for a few years but never really nailed down a regular spot in the starting eleven. I thought he might have dropped down a level but hopefully a new club and different style of play might suit him.

38 minutes ago, Mr November said:

While I’m here, thoughts on Lewis McGrattan? Seems like someone who has been around the Morton team for a few years but never really nailed down a regular spot in the starting eleven. I thought he might have dropped down a level but hopefully a new club and different style of play might suit him.

Talented player who will fit in well with Airdrie's style of play. I can see why McCabe signed him.

He'll be a good signing

Just now, Colkitto said:

Talented player who will fit in well with Airdrie's style of play. I can see why McCabe signed him.

He'll be a good signing

Said similar on the Airdrie thread. Good luck to him.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

Yep, if only we had more guid, local academy players like *checks notes* Lewis McGrattan to get maximum attention for the minimum amount of actual contribution in a jersey. Snapped up on the open market already I see!

Greenock Morton is, for the time being, a full-time professional football club rather than a social club for assorted Inverclyde-region footballers. I for one approve of Imrie's entirely professional attitude towards so-called academy 'products', and your embittered post merely underlines the previous point that you are a total fud.

Thanks for playing anyway - enjoy your night.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

Believe it or not I get that VT. It’s just that you only seem to deal on the extremes of any debate. I’m not saying that every single academy graduate should be guaranteed a place in our first team squad, that would be very unprofessional, as you allude to. However that doesn’t mean that they should all be treated with the ridiculous lack of respect that Imrie shows them and their families. It’s obvious to anyone who’s followed the trends with the slightest perception, that although  Imrie is a talented manager, he has a major character flaw regarding our academy graduates and his attitude towards them. If you can’t see that I really don’t know what colour of tinted spectacles you’re wearing!

I simply couldn't care less about the families of Morton youth players and their typical bleating about injustice. Nor should the first team manager of a professional football club. 

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

He might well benefit from a change of scenery and kick on, but he simply didn't contribute even remotely enough last season to merit a new deal.

I think he's worth giving a chance to in your squad (probably low cost; decent potential), but it'll be his last deal at this level unless his  level of performance improves. 

16 hours ago, virginton said:

I simply couldn't care less about the families of Morton youth players and their typical bleating about injustice. Nor should the first team manager of a professional football club. 

Be careful. Not caring about others and their feelings is one of the signs of sociopathy. By going on line and expressing such sentiments on a Saturday night might give the wrong impression about you.

I think you’ll find that in making its initial signing pitch to the potential youth player and his family Morton would have been careful to present a much more nurturing image. 

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo