The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Will it have a League One get out clause in the pre-contract? Not likely to visit the seaside via Grangemouth. 

Nah, he’s used to being at the seaside already mate. Morton are a classic seaside club.
Plus the seaside towns he will visit are a lot nicer.
What’s he got to lose?

On 01/02/2019 at 12:36, Stuperman01 said:

Compared to high flying, world beating Morton who have set Scottish football alight in recent years :lol:

On the contrary.  During my time supporting Morton, we were decent from 1963 until about the late 80s, with a particularly good spell from 1977 until about 1982 when we tended to be in the top half of the top division most years until towards the end of the season we ran out of steam.  Watching the Ritchie era team was as good as it gets, and unlikely to be repeated.  Thereafter we have under-performed woefully, with only occasional flashes of being a reasonably good team.  I think more than anything else, Bosman pretty much destroyed our business plan which was based on selling a player every year, although we're not alone in that respect.  At the moment, the BoD at Morton don't actually seem to be too bothered about trying to get promoted - the lack of ambition is palpable.

Falkirk might have won the odd trophy, but to me they are a nothing team, basically uninteresting in the extreme.  Basically they are invisible.  Were it not for the Mckinnon pantomime (and undoubtedly Mckinnon comes out of that looking like a prize toley), I would take no interest whatsoever in your club.  You are like Livingston but in a different colour of shirt.  if you drop down a division, you may well keep going down.  But money talks.

21 minutes ago, Alibi said:

On the contrary.  During my time supporting Morton, we were decent from 1963 until about the late 80s, with a particularly good spell from 1977 until about 1982 when we tended to be in the top half of the top division most years until towards the end of the season we ran out of steam.  Watching the Ritchie era team was as good as it gets, and unlikely to be repeated.  Thereafter we have under-performed woefully, with only occasional flashes of being a reasonably good team.  I think more than anything else, Bosman pretty much destroyed our business plan which was based on selling a player every year, although we're not alone in that respect.  At the moment, the BoD at Morton don't actually seem to be too bothered about trying to get promoted - the lack of ambition is palpable.

40yr ago then 

When was the last time Morton sold a player for hard cash ?  also are we talking Alan Mahood, Brian Reid era re selling a player model ?

Id guess we have made more money in transfers post Bosman (rough guess Id say around £3M) than we did pre Bosman and probably the same with quite a few clubs, so I dont know how you can blame Bosman. 

We used to be kings of taking 50k or so for our players whilst the likes of yourselves, Airdrie and even Raith were getting six figures.

43 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Money does talk. Must be galling then, being owned by a millionaire with very short arms. You lost a manager that had you playing quite well to a team with more money who were at the bottom of the league then replaced him with the Poundstore Litmanen. 

Three  points re your post:

First, Ray the Reptile's  transfer targets were pretty much accommodated by Morton so no lack of backing or funding there. 

Second, a bit disingenuous to say he had us "playing quite well". He took us out of two cup competitions in no time at all with very poor performances, then scraped a somewhat fortunate result against Alloa in the first league game. The only decent result and performance was a win against Ross County. 

Third, everyone has 20-20 vision in hindsight but at the time when JJ was appointed it was generally thought to be a forward-thinking appointment. Every managerial appointment is a risk - as we found with the gimp before him - but it looked like a chance worth taking at the time. 

42 minutes ago, MrDust said:

40yr ago then 

When was the last time Morton sold a player for hard cash ?  also are we talking Alan Mahood, Brian Reid era re selling a player model ?

Id guess we have made more money in transfers post Bosman (rough guess Id say around £3M) than we did pre Bosman and probably the same with quite a few clubs, so I dont know how you can blame Bosman. 

We used to be kings of taking 50k or so for our players whilst the likes of yourselves, Airdrie and even Raith were getting six figures.

Tidser to Rotherham I think?

1 hour ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Money does talk. Must be galling then, being owned by a millionaire with very short arms. You lost a manager that had you playing quite well to a team with more money who were at the bottom of the league then replaced him with the Poundstore Litmanen. 

Male parta Male dilabuntur. Tears will be flowing soon at Shameless FC.

21 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Third, everyone has 20-20 vision in hindsight but at the time when JJ was appointed it was generally thought to be a forward-thinking appointment

By who?

Most people myself included were pissing themselves

Falkirk might have won the odd trophy, but to me they are a nothing team, basically uninteresting in the extreme.  Basically they are invisible.  Were it not for the Mckinnon pantomime (and undoubtedly Mckinnon comes out of that looking like a prize toley), I would take no interest whatsoever in your club.  You are like Livingston but in a different colour of shirt.  if you drop down a division, you may well keep going down.  But money talks.

[emoji23][emoji23] too obvious mate hard lines x

edit : I hope anyway

1 hour ago, sick boy said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png too obvious mate hard lines x

edit : I hope anyway

In the real world,  if a regulatory body handed down a ruling that they could not rely on a senior employee of a company to give  full and reliable information when questioned any ethical company would punt said employee.  

10 hours ago, JamJar said:

My research finds that the c***s who run the Morton forum are also cowards. Not sure what's worse.  

Woof, dangerous talk. They’ll be busting a gut to get you banned on here.

One of the Mods over there is allegedly an SFA coach who hides behind a whole string of sock puppet aliases to malign managers and players,  in direct contravention of SFA Rules. Maybe Falkirk Dishonourables ladies team should offer him a new challenge. Their lady chairman seems a bit vague when it come to Scottish Law Society Rules of conduct.

12 hours ago, JamJar said:

My research finds that the c***s who run the Morton forum are also cowards. Not sure what's worse.  

Maybe they are, maybe they're not, but nobody cares, and nobody gives a toss about your, err, "research".  Please keep it to yourself. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Utterly broken, bitter and twisted. 

His post was tedious and long-winded, aye, but the number of posts that get referred to like this on here is getting tedious too. It's a lazy, boring and inaccurate way to reply the vast majority of the time, yours included. Time most posters on here got some new patter - or started making the occasional sensible reply if and when something sensible is posted. The playground stuff has long ago passed its use-by date. 

His post was tedious and long-winded, aye, but the number of posts that get referred to like this on here is getting tedious too. It's a lazy, boring and inaccurate way to reply the vast majority of the time, yours included. Time most posters on here got some new patter - or started making the occasional sensible reply if and when something sensible is posted. The playground stuff has long ago passed its use-by date. 
Specially when it would be easier to point out the undercurrent of misogyny that laces the sad wankers post.