The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

• 2 weeks later...

We're being linked with Gasparotto, well not quite linked, it's all quite 'nudge, nudge, wink wink I really know nothing' type stuff going on but regardless, what's he like as a player? Would he solve our desperate need for a commanding and composed CH that can also play football?

We're being linked with Gasparotto, well not quite linked, it's all quite 'nudge, nudge, wink wink I really know nothing' type stuff going on but regardless, what's he like as a player? Would he solve our desperate need for a commanding and composed CH that can also play football?

It's hard to say. At times he strolls through games in this league, other times he struggles. Shankland of St Mirren had him on toast on Saturday for example. I've no doubt the guy's got a bright future ahead of him so long as he keeps developing, but wether he's ready for Premiership football week-in, week-out I'm not so sure.

I thought O'Dea was doing alright for you as well?

We've not really got one great defender in the squad. McPake is probably still our best CH but he's been crocked for 6 months (And people obviously know his past) and we don't know how he'll come back and he's not exactly amazing.

O'Dea has been fine. Cost us a few goals but in general he's solidified our defence. We play 3 at the back most weeks and Julen is another injury prone defender.

Konrad has interest from League One down South and another unnamed top flight club - not that Hartley seems interested in keeping him. And our other CH Gadzhalov looks like he'll be getting punted too.

So we probably need 1 or possibly even 2 CH's in dependent on of we can offload Meggatt or not.

Would be a bit gutted if we lost Luca. Far from perfect yet as was alluded to above, but put in some very good performances this season and has been one of our better players. Might be a bit soon for him to make the jump to the top league though.

Would be a bit gutted if we lost Luca. Far from perfect yet as was alluded to above, but put in some very good performances this season and has been one of our better players. Might be a bit soon for him to make the jump to the top league though.

To be fair, it's more than likely nothing. Although Duffy has played a part in us poaching signings from his club's before. He practically acted as Declan Gallagher's agent when they were both at Clyde and ensured he ended up at Dens.

Dundee would be a good move for Luca. The guy oozes class at the back, his only problem is being up against big powerful strikers, he struggled a bit against Nade a few weeks ago, but other than that, he's great. Good in the air, calm in possession and loves a tackle. Would love to keep a hold of him but really don't see it happening.

He did an interview a few weeks ago about hoping to go back to Rangers and fight for a first team place so i doubt we have any chance of retaining him.

If Rangers release him, it might be a possibility, but I'm sure he will have loads of options.

We will prob have Kilday and Oware as first choice centre halves next season. Buzzin!

Gasparotto is a good player and I reckon with better players round him he'd do well, but he's not the finished article.  Might be better with another year in the Championship.  If Therangers don't re-sign him, I would hope we'd try to keep him at Cappielow, but he will end up at a higher level sooner or later.

I'd like to see us try to keep Denny Johnstone on too.  I don't see him as being good enough for Birmingham but at our level he's excellent although with a tendency to disappear in some games.  Scored some decent goals although to me he maybe doesn't think quickly enough to be a top striker at a higher level.  Sometimes looks to me more like a midfielder frankly, but his value to the team makes him worth having around.  Maybe another loan deal could be arranged.

Edited by Alibi

Gasparotto is a good player and I reckon with better players round him he'd do well, but he's not the finished article.  Might be better with another year in the Championship.  If Therangers don't re-sign him, I would hope we'd try to keep him at Cappielow, but he will end up at a higher level sooner or later.

I'd like to see us try to keep Denny Johnstone on too.  I don't see him as being good enough for Birmingham but at our level he's excellent although with a tendency to disappear in some games.  Scored some decent goals although to me he maybe doesn't think quickly enough to be a top striker at a higher level.  Sometimes looks to me more like a midfielder frankly, but his value to the team makes him worth having around.  Maybe another loan deal could be arranged.

How long does he have left on his contract at Birmingham? If they plan on loaning him out again then surely they'll look to a higher level rather than another season in the same league.

If he's out of contract then I would take him.

Moore signed a lot more players, but anyway here's my take on the signings (obviously entirely subjective and difficult because different levels but anyway...)

More or Less Acceptable Moore Signings:
Marc Smyth
David O'Brien
Fred
Stuart McCaffrey
Peaso
Archie Campbell
Mark McLaughlin
Willie Dyer
Derek Gaston
Martin Hardie
Scott Taggart
Kevin Rutkiewicz
Joe McKee
Dougie Imrie

Not So Great Moore Signings:
Jason Naismith
Graeme Holmes
Stewart Kean
Kevin Kelbie
Jonathan Toto
Darren Young
Derek Lyle
Ross Forsyth
Di Giacomo
Andy Graham
Andy Jackson
Sean Fitzharris
Darren McGeouch
Kevin McCann
Matt McGinley
Derek Young
Alan Combe
Iain Flannigan
Stephen Stirling
Jordan Halsman
David Graham
Tony Wallace
Craig Reid
Kyle Wilkie
David Hutton
Colin McMenamin
Jonathan Page
Nico Caraux
Kabba-Modou Cham
Reece Hands
Tomas Peciar
Michal Habai
Nacho Novo
Jake Nicholson

More or Less Acceptable Duffy Signings:
Lee Kilday
Conor Pepper
Stef McCluskey
Ricki Lamie
Jon Scullion
Dec McManus (loan)
Ross Forbes
Michael Tidser & Peaso returning
Bobby Barr
Denny Johnstone (loan)
Luca (loan)

Not So Great Duffy Signings:
Michael Miller
Sean Crighton
Stefan Milojevic
Andy Barrowman
Jordan Allan
Jamie McCluskey
Grant Adam
Ross Caldwell
Romario Sabajo
Alex Samuel (loan)

The nick of some of Moore's signings  :lol:

Whatever happened with O'Brien? I always thought he was a decent wee player.

IIRC he got injured (in that glorious night at Parkhead, I believe) and never fully recovered.