The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, MORleyTON said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66377213

McInnes having a bit of a mare with this one.

🤣 Aye saw that this morning and had a wee chuckle.  He's right about the seeding though, it dilutes the magic/romance/whatever of cup competition.  Unfortunately sponsors and tv companies don't want to see the old firm play each other in last 32 or last 16 stages 

31 minutes ago, Kev said:

🤣 Aye saw that this morning and had a wee chuckle.  He's right about the seeding though, it dilutes the magic/romance/whatever of cup competition.  Unfortunately sponsors and tv companies don't want to see the old firm play each other in last 32 or last 16 stages 

Not convinced he actually wants the seeding scrapped, more raging that his team isn't seeded because they won their group.

If they were seeded, this wouldn't be a story as he would have avoided Celtic.

Agree  overall though, the seeding should be scrapped at the knock out stages.

Edited by madton

Not the biggest fan of the seedings myself, as it does ruin it a bit, but to say he's not happy with how the seeds are picked comes across as a bit of a rant (probably due to them getting Celtic).

How the seeds are picked is pretty clear on the SPFL site.

And the "No championship clubs in Ross County's group" was just stupid.

2 hours ago, MORleyTON said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66377213

McInnes having a bit of a mare with this one.

Aye, he's had brain fart by adding Ross County, missing the fact we were in there. Livi's group were the only one without a Championship team.

He's not wrong about the seeding though. 

European entrants shouldn't get a bye either.

Here's where I think we are in 'squad planner' mode, assuming it's more or less a 4-2-3-1 most weeks (adjustments if he goes back to a 4-3-3 are pretty obvious):

Mullen
                                          NEW 3

NEW 1                    Baird                   O'Connor              Waters
O'Connor             Broadfoot          NEW 2                    NEW 2
Blues                                                                                 King

Gillespie             Crawford
                              Blues                   King

Quitongo                  Muirhead                   Boyd
     McGrattan               Crawford                    Bearne
     Garrity                       Boyd                           Muirhead
                                         Bearne

Oakley
                                         Muirhead
                                         Boyd
                                         Quitongo

As above, if we revert to a 4-3-3, we'd need another player in centre-mid; if not, I'd anticipate any further signings coming later in the season, either as clear upgrades to the first 11 (if and when that becomes available) or replacements for any long-term injuries (and I still think Garrity might leave, either on loan or pemanently).

You could look at that squad, even allowing for the three (hopefully) still to come, and think 'aye, ok...', without getting too excited; but you only need to be older than about nine to remember us starting the season with the likes of R*&*$*ttom and Van Shite, or Jim Duffy rattling around in the bargain basement trying to put out a team, or Gus MacPherson offering two-year deals to the likes of Darren Hynes (nothing against Darren Hynes, btw)...

I, for one, will take it.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

14 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Here's where I think we are in 'squad planner' mode, assuming it's more or less a 4-2-3-1 most weeks (adjustments if he goes back to a 4-3-3 are pretty obvious):

Mullen
                                          NEW 3

NEW 1                    Baird                   O'Connor              Waters
O'Connor             Broadfoot          NEW 2                    NEW 2
Blues                                                                                 King

Gillespie             Crawford
                              Blues                   King

Quitongo                  Muirhead                   Boyd
     McGrattan               Crawford                    Bearne
     Garrity                       Boyd                           Muirhead
                                         Bearne

Oakley
                                         Muirhead
                                         Boyd
                                         Quitongo

As above, if we revert to a 4-3-3, we'd need another player in centre-mid; if not, I'd anticipate any further signings coming later in the season, either as clear upgrades to the first 11 (if and when that becomes available) or replacements for any long-term injuries (and I still think Garrity might leave, either on loan or pemanently).

You could look at that squad, even allowing for the three (hopefully) still to come, and think 'aye, ok...', without getting too excited; but you only need to be older than about nine to remember us starting the season with the likes of R*&*$*ttom and Van Shite, or Jim Duffy rattling around in the bargain basement trying to put out a team, or Gus MacPherson offering two-year deals to the likes of Darren Hynes (nothing against Darren Hynes, btw)...

I, for one, will take it.

I think McGrattan has been on the left more than the right when he's came on, at least when Jai's out on the right. Apart from that, pretty much a spot on analysis.

2/3 more players in the right spots should have us sorted for a decent campaign. It may not be a large squad but it's certainly a good one, and our fitness levels are really high for this league (notable in the number of late comebacks in games), so we should be fine. Hopefully.

10 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

I think McGrattan has been on the left more than the right when he's came on, at least when Jai's out on the right. Apart from that, pretty much a spot on analysis.

2/3 more players in the right spots should have us sorted for a decent campaign. It may not be a large squad but it's certainly a good one, and our fitness levels are really high for this league (notable in the number of late comebacks in games), so we should be fine. Hopefully.

Yeah, I could have listed most of them on either side (but that would have made a big long list!). For me, McGrattan's better on the right... and I also think he's a clear second choice there, i.e. he'd get a start there if Quitongo is rested, whereas there's a longer queue on the left.

Maybe Imrie will surprise us, though...

1 hour ago, DaftTon74 said:

Mullen out injured apparently. Looks like we are aiming to bring in Jamie McDonald. We actually need to or we are humped

McDonald would be a solid replacement for Mullen.  I wonder if the intention is just to cover this injury, or will it be a longer term thing?

On 15/07/2023 at 16:27, Ludo*1 said:

Went to check what Jamie MacDonald was up to after leaving Raith and I see someone has edited his Wiki to say he's signed for you lot.

On 15/07/2023 at 16:31, Jamie_M said:

Strange when he flew to South Africa 2 days ago for a week long trial.

Looks like someone ITK is editing Wiki for you lads.

58 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Looks like someone ITK is editing Wiki for you lads.

Must have taken one look at Cape Town and decided the Clyde Riviera's the place to be.

Poor South African fuckers have ended up with Sam Ramsbottom instead. Ooft.

There's maybe two question marks over MacDonald. One is that he was carrying a shoulder injury for most of last season and it was definitely bothering him at times, and the other is that he's getting towards the age where there will inevitably be a drop off at some point. 

There's absolutely no question over his quality though. If that shoulder injury has healed up he should definitely have another year as one of the top performers at this level.