The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Don’t want to get sucked into the ‘transfer deadline day’ nonsense (because it’s not that relevant to a club in our situation), but the question needs to be asked: how far can we go into the season before completing a squad that will be able to compete?

We’re already at least 2 points down on my count; we have 6 centre-mids and precisely 4 defenders (one of those four should be ‘for emergency use only’); and our most effective centre-forward might be out for [period unknown].

If we hit the second half of September in anything like the same nick, we could easily get dragged into something very nasty.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Don’t want to get sucked into the ‘transfer deadline day’ nonsense (because it’s not that relevant to a club in our situation), but the question needs to be asked: how far can we go into the season before completing a squad that will be able to compete?

We’re already at least 2 points down on my count; we have 6 centre-mids and precisely 4 defenders (one of those four should be ‘for emergency use only’); and our most effective centre-forward might be out for [period unknown].

If we hit the second half of September in anything like the same nick, we could easily get dragged into something very nasty.

Oakley until the new year (roughly), I heard.

But of luck and it won't be that long, hopefully. Still a worry regardless.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Whilst the deadline isn't really the deadline for us, the window closing is still the important point as Premiership squads will be finalised, players might have negotiated their release ahead of it closing and loans begin to get freed up.

There will be meltdowns if we don't sign a few on Friday but next week could be just as likely for us.

We are 2 weeks away from when we added Grimshaw last year.

Some Morton fans really need to calm down here, the Morton msg board as per is painful reading. There was obv something there for Dougie to work on in bringing in at least one more player even before the Rangers game, what makes that change in any way? I think it's quite clear that we are not signing anyone on a perm contract but will no doubt bring in someone on loan when the right player is available, there is absolutely no panic at the moment, last week was a bad day at the office, it happens. 

We were more or less in this position last season around this time with people crying we were relegation bound then a few loan guys came in, relax!

12 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Some Morton fans really need to calm down here, the Morton msg board as per is painful reading. There was obv something there for Dougie to work on in bringing in at least one more player even before the Rangers game, what makes that change in any way? I think it's quite clear that we are not signing anyone on a perm contract but will no doubt bring in someone on loan when the right player is available, there is absolutely no panic at the moment, last week was a bad day at the office, it happens. 

We were more or less in this position last season around this time with people crying we were relegation bound then a few loan guys came in, relax!

TBF, last season we were quite likely to go down without those signings, this season we have a good yet small squad.

Last year it was average at best, and small.

ETA- I do agree, though, calm is needed. Once Premiership clubs finalise their squads the loan market properly comes into play, where we should be good to expand the squad.

Still baffled as to why there were shouts for Dougie to get to f**k after last week's game.

Edited by ClydeTon

Morton Web site.

What's happening with the site? Few of the drop down pages work. With News and one other ok.

While I got my season e-ticket and added it to my phone wallet I missed you had to get a new physical season card.

Been getting news letters saying still to pick up, as only down Wednesdays couldn't do so as office is shut. Hoping to get Saturday but not sure if office is open. Does anyone have a new email address for them. 

Hey Toby why don't you go get a life.

That's now 100 reds you have given me. I don't mind you not agreeing with me on my view of things but I am concerned for your mental health as well as my legal rights.

Please note I have been to at least double the number of Morton games you have attended, assuming you have managed 75% attendance in your period following the Ton.

So I have an admin problem. The site does not seem to be working, this is not a criticism, but a fact. Error Two drop downs working plus Community , who I visited last Wednesday

I come down to Greenock on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I can't see Garth's contact no. nor email, so I can't resolve picking up my 40th season ticket access, didn't want to use Brendan's old one.

Yes now attending for 58 years and STH for over 40. 

Help from fellow Morton supporting forum supporters is what I hoped for not a red dot.

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

TBF, last season we were quite likely to go down without those signings, this season we have a good yet small squad.

Last year it was average at best, and small.

ETA- I do agree, though, calm is needed. Once Premiership clubs finalise their squads the loan market properly comes into play, where we should be good to expand the squad.

Still baffled as to why there were shouts for Dougie to get to f**k after last week's game.

It was still a bit of a overreaction from some of our fans tho when clearly the squad wasn't any where near completed, of course we are in a better position now squad size than we were last season but we are still in proper need of one or two signings, a RB as we all know or another CB with O'Connor raking the RB slot and a forward. A good number of our support are completely freaking out that we will not be in a position to compete in this league without it at this moment in time after a bad day at the office last week. It's pretty clear to me that if Dougie is willing to let one or 2 go out on loan then we will most certainly be looking at at least 1 loan signing surely, there really isn't any need at all for Morton fans to be panicking right now.

11 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

That's now 100 reds you have given me. I don't mind you not agreeing with me on my view of things but I am concerned for your mental health as well as my legal rights.

Please note I have been to at least double the number of Morton games you have attended, assuming you have managed 75% attendance in your period following the Ton.

So I have an admin problem. The site does not seem to be working, this is not a criticism, but a fact. Error Two drop downs working plus Community , who I visited last Wednesday

I come down to Greenock on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I can't see Garth's contact no. nor email, so I can't resolve picking up my 40th season ticket access, didn't want to use Brendan's old one.

Yes now attending for 58 years and STH for over 40. 

Help from fellow Morton supporting forum supporters is what I hoped for not a red dot.

You are correct in that the drop menus are not working on the site, if you just google greenock morton contact the link from there takes you straight to the contact page, surely that would be anyone's 2nd plan of action? Anyway here's the link for ye 

Contact - Greenock Morton FC (gmfc.net)

Edited by M0rtonfc

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

Don't lose any sleep over it. He does exactly the same to me - especially when I post anything remotely humble, fair or complimentary about any of our opponents. Throwing out reds is, after all, so much easier than taking the time to express a point of view. I expect us both to get reds for these posts, too - but I'll somehow manage to struggle through my day without topping myself in a fit of depression caused by a backwards step in the P&B popularity contest.

I wish you a good day and a victorious weekend for The Famous.

3 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Morton Web site.

What's happening with the site? Few of the drop down pages work. With News and one other ok.

The club has already put out a message saying the site is broken beyond repair and a new one is being worked on.

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

The club has already put out a message saying the site is broken beyond repair and a new one is being worked on.

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I had heard that but thought this was the new one in development.

Anyway replied to Morton News letter and Alister has sorted it.

All's well that ends well.

2 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Be nice to be involved today of course, but unlikely. Still got a few more weeks to get things sorted and hopefully pull a Grimshaw quality signing out of the bag.

St Johnstone released this "Ali Crawford" lad, premiership experience, free transfer.

Anyone else heard of him?

9 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

That’s just modern day fans for you. I didn’t hear anyone shouting for McInnes to get to f**k last week but did hear of bit of vocal moaning about the result and the goal we lost at the end. A bit of “told you so” about a defence which has kept 3 clean sheets in a row.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

That’s just modern day fans for you. I didn’t hear anyone shouting for McInnes to get to f**k last week but did hear of bit of vocal moaning about the result and the goal we lost at the end. A bit of “told you so” about a defence which has kept 3 clean sheets in a row.

The wins over Celtic and Rangers makes him the next Steve Clarke, imo.