The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I guess this is our concern now as we have Oakley and Dowds as our strikers although given the amount of attacking midfielders we’ve signed I doubt we’ll start them both together. 

Changing the subject slightly but what’s happened with O’Connor? We’re still looking for another defender and seem to after Lee Ashcroft but failing that I’d be happy with someone like O’Connor. 

Apparently he’s offski which I’m not shocked at. Would assume he’s got somewhere lined up now.

You're now at the point where we've enough attacking options that if a gamble doesn't pay off it shouldn't be too much of a problem with so many players in the mix, though we still need an alternative to Davies.

Defensive signings can still make or break the season from here with the spectre of Broadfoot getting games, but got to be happy with the new signings so far.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

You're now at the point where we've enough attacking options that if a gamble doesn't pay off it shouldn't be too much of a problem with so many players in the mix, though we still need an alternative to Davies.

Defensive signings can still make or break the season from here with the spectre of Broadfoot getting games, but got to be happy with the new signings so far.

Aye another striker completes the attacking options. No huge rush on it,  I'm guessing any decent free striker worth their salt will have been picked up by now. A loan from a higher level seems more likely.  Would imagine guys like Bobby Wales, Innes Cameron, Zac Rudden, Alex Samuel, Emmon Brophy etc will become available later on in the window or even another gamble from down south.

Get a solid LB, CB and a good CM in over the next week or two and we should go into the league cup with confidence.

All good so far.

While I am not a big fan of 1 year contracts a larger clear-out/change is needed every few years or things just get stale.

Up and on it could be worse and we could have been categorized as an A group team and had to pay an extra £2 for visiting that big club Falkirk. 

download-3.jpeg.3ced2a584cdecf234e495a2b525e012b.jpeg

Shaw has a pretty decent goalscoring record (9 in 32 in the league in 22/23) which is helpful - again with the number of gambles we have and the loss the Oakley & Muirhead, having someone who's shown that they can score regularly at this level is important. As much as I'm joking about wingers, he seems to be versatile enough that he could be another option through the middle?

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

download-3.jpeg.3ced2a584cdecf234e495a2b525e012b.jpeg

Shaw has a pretty decent goalscoring record (9 in 32 in the league in 22/23) which is helpful - again with the number of gambles we have and the loss the Oakley & Muirhead, having someone who's shown that they can score regularly at this level is important. As much as I'm joking about wingers, he seems to be versatile enough that he could be another option through the middle?

Got to think that Imrie has a plan for these players and isn't just overloading the squad with wingers because we had very little options last season

9 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Got to think that Imrie has a plan for these players and isn't just overloading the squad with wingers because we had very little options last season

Not sure it's overloading.

In an ideal world you want 8 players for those front 4 positions and we have 7. One striker completes the set.

Sounds like a good few of them can play multiple positions in the forward areas.

Having the ability to change a game was severely lacking last season, I'm delighted we are going to have strong options from the bench this season.

Looks like another good signing from Dougie.

Caley fans seem to rate him when he’s on form and decent experience in the division, so pleased with that. 

If we are looking to add a more natural striker I reckon that’ll be further down the road once squads are finalised elsewhere. No point in rushing it at the moment.

4 minutes ago, gmfc said:

By the looks of things so far Imrie has had a decent window 🤞

Mcdonald
French- Ballantyne
O'connor
Strapp
Waters
Power
Quitongo- Lyall
Crawford- Moffat 
McGrattan- Shaw
Muirhead- Reynolds 
Oakley- Davies.

Aye agreed.  Certainly on paper, they are encouraging signings, with obvious question marks on how Davies and Reynolds do.

Hopefully the quality of the defensive signings are encouraging too.

Shaw was very good for us in 2022/23 but really fell away last season. Of course we were a basket case for much of 23/24 so perhaps that's a little harsh but he didn't seem to offer the same level of creativity as he did in his first season. Probably didn't help that Ferguson rushed him back after injury and started him against Dundee United when he wasn't fit leading to him aggravating his hamstring again (IIRC). Imrie should get a tune out of him and, given his previous form with us when on song, he's more likely to be a George Oakley than a Steven Boyd. Good luck to him.

Shaw is a winger but he's also played centrally quite successfully, usually as the middle of a '3' in a 4-2-3-1 formation.  I remember when we beat Livingston in the cup he had a great game defensively, pressuring the opposition high up the pitch and not allowing them to get comfortable.  I think he had an assist in that game from winning the ball back just outside the Livingston box as well.  That was the first time I really saw him produce a great performance for us and for the rest of the 22/23 season he was a good player for us.

I think if he gets a run in the team and gets his confidence up he can be a good player at the Championship level.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Shaw is a winger but he's also played centrally quite successfully, usually as the middle of a '3' in a 4-2-3-1 formation.  I remember when we beat Livingston in the cup he had a great game defensively, pressuring the opposition high up the pitch and not allowing them to get comfortable.  I think he had an assist in that game from winning the ball back just outside the Livingston box as well.  That was the first time I really saw him produce a great performance for us and for the rest of the 22/23 season he was a good player for us.

I think if he gets a run in the team and gets his confidence up he can be a good player at the Championship level.

May take on the Robbie Crawford role then. High pressing number 10