3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As things stand...

-----------Mullen------------

Ballantyne-Baird-Boyes-Delaney

------Wilson-----Blues--------

Moffat------Lyall-----Reynolds

-----------Davies------------

Subs: Woods, Corr, Broadfoot, Gillespie, Bearne, Shaw, Garrity

You could argue about Blues/Gillespie or which side the wingers will play, but must be pretty close.

If we can add e.g. Grimshaw and another striker on loan, that starts to look pretty good... and much better balanced than last season.

Why do people keep saying Grimshaw? Have I missed something and he's been released? Last thing I saw from the confirmed squad lists in the prem forum, he was listed as in their squad for next season. Does it look like he is likely to not feature for them next season or something despite starting most games last season for them? 

1 minute ago, M0rtonfc said:

Why do people keep saying Grimshaw? Have I missed something and he's been released? Last thing I saw from the confirmed squad lists in the prem forum, he was listed as in their squad for next season. Does it look like he is likely to not feature for them next season or something despite starting most games last season for them? 

Imrie was alleged to have been in for a loan, on the grounds that he's unlikely to get much game time for them in the league above. Fingers crossed.

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Imrie was alleged to have been in for a loan, on the grounds that he's unlikely to get much game time for them in the league above. Fingers crossed.

Cheers, must have missed that, aye fingers crossed indeed then!

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I would personally disagree with King going out on loan. He's had a full season out on loan to gain that matchday experience, and fighting relegation with Clyde will have hopefully been really beneficial to the mental side of his game, but for me he should remain as an option in the squad. Too many times last season we had a player or 2 out injured and we struggled for options, and King has been about the squad a couple of years now, time to show he belongs to be here.

50 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Agreed, he's now got around 80 first team games under his belt so the matchday experience argument has probably run dry with King. We're all aware of how talented he can be but now it's time to start showing it consistently at this level.

Fair enough... but how much time on the pitch is he going to get, especially if we sign another player for the midfield (which we absolutely should)?

He's either ready to come in and do a job, as cover or from the bench, or he's not. I personally don't think he is.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That would be quite a strange move from United, I'd think.

He's a proven player at this level and has plenty of experience above- even if maybe he wasn't the star for them that he was for us.

I'd love to see him back but it would be a bit of a strange one - from the other end.

7 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

That would be quite a strange move from United, I'd think.

He's a proven player at this level and has plenty of experience above- even if maybe he wasn't the star for them that he was for us.

I'd love to see him back but it would be a bit of a strange one - from the other end.

Don’t think he’s very popular with United fans whatsoever fwiw, them loaning him out doesn’t seem too improbable, for whatever my word is worth.

5 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As things stand...

You could argue about Blues/Gillespie or which side the wingers will play, but must be pretty close.

If we can add e.g. Grimshaw and another striker on loan, that starts to look pretty good... and much better balanced than last season.

For me you either play Blues or Wilson, and Wilson wins it for me. We need a wee bit more creativity in the middle of the park so Gills should start in that line up.

Plus a fully fit Corr should be in alongside Boyes

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

There was no alleged.

It was bullshit talk from Dundee Utd fans purely because Imrie attended their first friendly away to Brechin.

Dundee Utd fans don't rate him., they signed a new right back, but other than that there's nothing to suggest Goodwin doesn't retain faith in him.

5 hours ago, Colkitto said:

For me you either play Blues or Wilson, and Wilson wins it for me. We need a wee bit more creativity in the middle of the park so Gills should start in that line up.

Plus a fully fit Corr should be in alongside Boyes

Wilson’s a cert: choice currently is between Blues and Gillespie (as I said), and that could go either way: Blues’ legs to compensate for the loss of Crawford… or, as you suggest, Gillespie to get a foot on the ball. Interesting one.

As for Corr… maybe in the long run, but I’m pretty certain Baird will get the nod in the early part of the season: position’s his to lose.

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

There was no alleged.

It was bullshit talk from Dundee Utd fans purely because Imrie attended their first friendly away to Brechin.

Dundee Utd fans don't rate him., they signed a new right back, but other than that there's nothing to suggest Goodwin doesn't retain faith in him.

Any thoughts as to why Dougie was up watching a bounce game in… eh, Brechin?

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Any thoughts as to why Dougie was up watching a bounce game in… eh, Brechin?

Dougie interview 2 days before the game stated exactly why - to go scout Brechin ahead of the cup game.

1 hour ago, Tonton Zola Moukoko said:

Playing them in the cup on Tuesday

12 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Dougie interview 2 days before the game stated exactly why - to go scout Brechin ahead of the cup game.

He truly is some boy if that's all there is to it...

20 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As things stand...

This would be my prediction for our starting team as well, as things stand. Debate to be had when Corr is fit but that gives Baird some games to show if he can adapt to the new system.

Find the amount of discussion about the midfield surprising. Wilson and Blues (and Power) were above Gillespie in the pecking order last season so I see no reason why Gillespie will have suddenly overtaken them. Expect there to be an additional signing in there which could shake things up but I don’t see Gillespie in our first choice 11. 

16 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

This would be my prediction for our starting team as well, as things stand. Debate to be had when Corr is fit but that gives Baird some games to show if he can adapt to the new system.

Find the amount of discussion about the midfield surprising. Wilson and Blues (and Power) were above Gillespie in the pecking order last season so I see no reason why Gillespie will have suddenly overtaken them. Expect there to be an additional signing in there which could shake things up but I don’t see Gillespie in our first choice 11. 

What’s expected of the midfield this season is completely different to what it was last season so the pecking order last season won’t have that big an impact on Imrie’s thinking in my opinion. 

The ball flew over the midfields head for the majority of games last season and their job was mainly to win the ball back and get up the pitch quickly. The role Gillespie played in pre season is the most crucial role in the midfield with the way we want to play and at this moment Gillespie is the best at that role out of everyone in the squad. 

im a big fan of Blues but I wonder if he will struggle to adapt in the same way Baird might and eventually find himself out the team if Wilson remains fit.

14 minutes ago, port-ton said:

What’s expected of the midfield this season is completely different to what it was last season so the pecking order last season won’t have that big an impact on Imrie’s thinking in my opinion. 

The ball flew over the midfields head for the majority of games last season and their job was mainly to win the ball back and get up the pitch quickly. The role Gillespie played in pre season is the most crucial role in the midfield with the way we want to play and at this moment Gillespie is the best at that role out of everyone in the squad. 

im a big fan of Blues but I wonder if he will struggle to adapt in the same way Baird might and eventually find himself out the team if Wilson remains fit.

I sit up behind the dugout and Dougie spends a lot of the time shouting at Blues and clearly expects a huge amount from him. His workrate is immense and I can't see him being dropped. He is not the classiest midfielder but earlier in his time with us he used to chip in with a few goals and it would be good if in the new set up he can do that again. 

15 minutes ago, port-ton said:

The role Gillespie played in pre season is the most crucial role in the midfield with the way we want to play and at this moment Gillespie is the best at that role out of everyone in the squad. 

Wilson has been quite effective in that role over pre season as well but I'd hope we bring in another option to compete. I'd be far more happy with Gillespie starting this season than I was last year, although I still think Power needs replaced. 

20 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Fair enough, if people view Blues in the same category as Baird regarding the new style of play, then I can understand the debate to be had. I personally don’t and I’d be surprised if Imrie does, given the faith he’s shown in him in the past, even when in poor form. 

It’s King as potential 4th choice I have concerns over and I hope we have another centre midfielder coming in to compete with Wilson, Blues and Gillespie. 

On 07/07/2024 at 18:28, virginton said:

Unless Bearne has developed significantly then he won't be seeing more game time with our current options in those areas, and if that continues then I predict that he'll be out the door in January. He's in the exact same position as Garrity was last season - who of course took that final opportunity to break into the team. 

^^^ kenned the score 

Recent comments sound very much like Imrie already has Bearne's jacket on a shoogly peg. 

On 11/07/2024 at 14:07, Ferguson said:

Agreed, he's now got around 80 first team games under his belt so the matchday experience argument has probably run dry with King. We're all aware of how talented he can be but now it's time to start showing it consistently at this level.

I'm not convinced King has shown his ability at all - certainly not as a central midfielder expected to do both sides of the game. We've seen flashes of good play but how many full performances has he delivered - or had the chance to deliver?

80 match appearances (which are doing the same heavy lifting as for Bearne last season) are not automatically enough to gain experience. I'd be farming him out to a half decent League One side with the task of breaking into that team on merit. If he can't do that then he shouldn't remain at the club at the end of this season.

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ kenned the score 

Recent comments sound very much like Imrie already has Bearne's jacket on a shoogly peg. 

I'm not convinced King has shown his ability at all - certainly not as a central midfielder expected to do both sides of the game. We've seen flashes of good play but how many full performances has he delivered - or had the chance to deliver?

80 match appearances (which are doing the same heavy lifting as for Bearne last season) are not automatically enough to gain experience. I'd be farming him out to a half decent League One side with the task of breaking into that team on merit. If he can't do that then he shouldn't remain at the club at the end of this season.

The past tense of 'Tae ken' is not 'kenned.'

You should know better....naughty step for you.

On 08/07/2024 at 14:10, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Nothing against Bearne - and I genuinely hope he proves me wrong - but I haven't seen anything over the past year to suggest he's got the attributes to really make an impact in our league. Imrie has shown that if he can get better on his budget, he won't hesitate to do so; wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bearne move on (if we can get someone to take on his wage).

Eh…