The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

30 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Not sure if this is a clumsy attempt at humour or an attempt to close down criticism of Imrie and Laird. Be interested to hear your take on the McGinn move. 

Most of our forwards are gubbins, 2 of which people want fired back down south as quickly as they arrived. Why would looking at an upgrade be so wild?

48 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Nothing announced on either side, but still talk that it will be announced later today. 

I can understand another attacking midfield/wing player from the point of view of the lack of anything from Reynolds and Davies (I half wondered if at least one of them would just head straight back down south), but McGinn was struggling at this level a couple of years ago and had since failed to shine consistently at a lower level. Feels to me like throwing money away when what we really need is a striker. 

Again can't argue with that. Looks like our striker will now be a loanee. I wonder if Dougie was chasing this player right from the start given it's the one position he hasn't filled properly? 

Our squad recruitment has been good and I like the defence and midfield. But it was glaringly obvious even from the pre-season games we lacked a CF. Maybe Reynolds and Davies where to fill the void until out CF arrived? But this has obviously not happened and that's why we signed both JET and now McGinn. 

I really hope hope both Reynolds and Davies come good soon. It would be a shame if it didn't work out for everyone concerned. 

46 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Most of our forwards are gubbins, 2 of which people want fired back down south as quickly as they arrived. Why would looking at an upgrade be so wild?

What’s wild is how we arrived at this situation in the first place given we knew in June that Oakley, Crawford (to whom we offered new contracts) et al would be away. Or stated policy is no oldies, no crocs yet here we are already into the new season signing random oldies. Dunfermline recently  took on loan a youngish forward from St Mirren who hails from Port Glasgow. If we had gone for him it would at least fit with our “strategy”.  

The club needs to explain the rationale behind these signings instead of spouting the usual anodyne drivel. Crawford makes some sense as a temporary replacement for Shaw but why should we have to second guess what’s going on when we pay their wages. 

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Again can't argue with that. Looks like our striker will now be a loanee. I wonder if Dougie was chasing this player right from the start given it's the one position he hasn't filled properly? 

Our squad recruitment has been good and I like the defence and midfield. But it was glaringly obvious even from the pre-season games we lacked a CF. Maybe Reynolds and Davies where to fill the void until out CF arrived? But this has obviously not happened and that's why we signed both JET and now McGinn. 

I really hope hope both Reynolds and Davies come good soon. It would be a shame if it didn't work out for everyone concerned. 

Davies main position is as a centre forward, and was brought in off the back of shooting goals in the Welsh league. I think he was primarily brought in to give us an option in the striker's role, and then maybe some cover elsewhere. I suspect Reynolds was brought in more as a wide option, but I'm not sure if he's ever had a really settled position. They just haven't hit the ground running, though, and I worry that Dougie hasn't really been sure what to do with them once he's seen them up close. It's obviously early days, and a short space of time to fully judge players, but they haven't looked good so far. In that sense I'm a bit worried about the recruitment - JET, Reynolds, Davies have much to prove, and we signed an injured player in Shaw. The problem is that McGinn is more competition for Crawford, Garrity, or Moffat, and I have fewer concerns about them right now (apart from the problem that he looked about done a couple of years ago). 

54 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

What’s wild is how we arrived at this situation in the first place given we knew in June that Oakley, Crawford (to whom we offered new contracts) et al would be away. Or stated policy is no oldies, no crocs yet here we are already into the new season signing random oldies. Dunfermline recently  took on loan a youngish forward from St Mirren who hails from Port Glasgow. If we had gone for him it would at least fit with our “strategy”.  

The club needs to explain the rationale behind these signings instead of spouting the usual anodyne drivel. Crawford makes some sense as a temporary replacement for Shaw but why should we have to second guess what’s going on when we pay their wages. 

It's almost as if replacing your entire forward line, and the number of goals we had to is actually quite hard especially when you are significantly down the pecking order in terms of budget and wages offered.

Which superstar local goal machine have Dunfermline signed? 

And claiming some throwaway bluster lines from a Chairman which were more aimed at the output from existing squad members as some sort of 'strategy' is a stretch.

Loan rather than permanent.

Could be costing us very little a la the Ally Roy loan and they owe us one after that deal.

Smart use of limited resources, leaving budget for a target man if one becomes available.

Edited by Jamie_M

46 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

It's almost as if replacing your entire forward line, and the number of goals we had to is actually quite hard especially when you are significantly down the pecking order in terms of budget and wages offered.

Which superstar local goal machine have Dunfermline signed? 

And claiming some throwaway bluster lines from a Chairman which were more aimed at the output from existing squad members as some sort of 'strategy' is a stretch.

It'll be us signing Lewis Jamieson.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Loan rather than permanent.

Could be costing us very little a la the Ally Roy loan and they owe us one after that deal.

Smart use of limited resources, leaving budget for a target man if one becomes available.

You have no idea how much this is costing or whether relocation or the provision  of accommodation here is involved.  “ Could be”. flying him across by helicopter every match day for all we know. 

3 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Not sure if this is a clumsy attempt at humour or an attempt to close down criticism of Imrie and Laird. Be interested to hear your take on the McGinn move. 

It’s neither, it was simply a statement of fact.……and, though you really aren’t interested in ANYONE’S opinion, since I don’t know anything about McGinn’s form since he left Scotland I won’t be making any judgement till after seeing the guy in action.

It’s called being open-minded. You should try it sometime…..

55 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

You have no idea how much this is costing or whether relocation or the provision  of accommodation here is involved.  “ Could be”. flying him across by helicopter every match day for all we know. 

Just like you have no idea if the St Mirren loan who went to Raith (assuming you mean him because Dunfermline haven't loaned anyone from them) was even close to being in our price range having signed for a club who have comfortably outbid us for players this very summer, including picking our pocket for our very own best player.

If McGinn needs accommodation, he'll be fired in beside Reynolds and Davies 

Edited by Jamie_M

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Just like you have no idea if the St Mirren loan who went to Ayr (assuming you mean him because Dunfermline haven't loaned anyone from them) was even close to being in our price range having signed for a club who have comfortably outbid us for players this very summer, including picking our pocket for our very own best player.

If McGinn needs accommodation, he'll be fired in beside Reynolds and Davies 

My mistake it was Raith Rovers. Jeez you do make a lot of assumptions and excuses though.

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Yes, we still need a striker. We know that. But that guff at the start ..... Still at least you've stopped fixating on Imrie's tattoos.......

The sooner somebody paps your stone back on top of you the better.

You’re confusing open with empty. A little bit of objectivity and curiosity wouldn’t go amiss. The guy relocated to NI in January 2023 on an 18 month deal.  He is 37 years old presumably on some sort of new contract. Yet some walloper on here seems to think that Glentoran are picking up the costs and he is going to bunk down in a flat with two other guys as some sort of Englishman, Welshman and Englishman ménage a trois. 

22 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

You’re confusing open with empty. A little bit of objectivity and curiosity wouldn’t go amiss. The guy relocated to NI in January 2023 on an 18 month deal.  He is 37 years old presumably on some sort of new contract. Yet some walloper on here seems to think that Glentoran are picking up the costs and he is going to bunk down in a flat with two other guys as some sort of Englishman, Welshman and Englishman ménage a trois. 

Steve Martin Dance GIF by Laff

1 hour ago, Balde Bairn said:

Bit of a sore one today lads? Must’ve been so excited being 2-0 and thinking about all the trolling you could do on the Falkirk page. Instead you end up losing and crying about not getting a penalty. 

You seem more arsed than us, tbh. Enjoy your win. 

Entertaining game today. Morton scoring 2 from 2 free kicks had me sh*tting myself everytime you got a dead ball near our box. For what it’s worth, I didn’t think it was a penalty for us. Regarding your penalty claim, Coll slid in and your player just slipped. Wasn’t a pen. Some bizarre decisions from the ref for both sides.  

38 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

So yep, confirmation of what we all said at the time. A pathetic dive for them, and a blatant penalty not given for us. 

Consistently atrocious refereeing in this division. 

Morton fans.

YARN | They only see what they wanna see | The Sixth Sense (1999) | Video  clips by quotes | e425c1ef | 紗