Do you support your local team?

Which do I prefer? Bandoni's probably for all my hot and cold filled roll/baguette needs, the burn shop for my beer since Bandoni's don't have any. The burn shop used to do some cracking freshly made pizzas a few years ago that I miss dearly :(

Is Rose still in the burn shop? I haven't been there since I was about 11 but I used to go there for sweets, good spot if your looking for rats.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Rose still in the burn shop? I haven't been there since I was about 11 but I used to go there for sweets, good spot if your looking for rats.

Couldn't tell ye mate, don't know any of their names. It's a much bigger shop now than when I was younger. Those aisles used to be some squeeze.

Arbroath isn't any better or worse for old firm fans than anywhere else

Cesspit :lol:

My experience of arbroath is that most people I met when working there were old firm fans. I put it down to the older generation of weegies who retired there or had holiday homes. A few of them would go to gayfield occasionally but all had a big team.

Having said that most of my interactions with the natives was around Mayfield and Timmergreens. Maybe other bits are better.

Many thanks to craigkillie for finally smoking this one out. I always knew it was a product of ignorance and bluster but we now know, 86 posts on, that most posters don't support their local team and that team choice, based on the arbitrary accident of geography, is the busted flush that I've been banging on about for years.

My experience of arbroath is that most people I met when working there were old firm fans. I put it down to the older generation of weegies who retired there or had holiday homes. A few of them would go to gayfield occasionally but all had a big team.

Having said that most of my interactions with the natives was around Mayfield and Timmergreens. Maybe other bits are better.

My grandad/granny and mother are retired oirish weegies here!!! :lol:

Arbroath has a normal amount of OF fans. I find it refreshing seeing so many kids in AFC tops these days tbh. Plenty United and Aberdeen fans in the Broath aswell. Our attendances the last 3 year have averaged 700-750 over the season. About 3% of the towns population. Probably a normal amount for lower league teams.

It's definitely no a cesspit! I think The Stag occasionally run a minibus to Celtic Park. Then there's the 'Smokie Bears' but there's no even enough of them to get a mini bus every week.

Arbroath has a normal amount of OF fans.

I have to admit the refreshing thing about Dundee is the lack of OF fans!!! Everybody seems to be United or the Dee!!

Many thanks to craigkillie for finally smoking this one out. I always knew it was a product of ignorance and bluster but we now know, 86 posts on, that most posters don't support their local team and that team choice, based on the arbitrary accident of geography, is the busted flush that I've been banging on about for years.

I don't think its a busted flush, the majority of a clubs proper fans will live closer to their club than another or at least will have for a period of time.

Rangers is my closet, and St. Mirren look to be closer than Partick Thistle, but I'm not a great swimmer. I live a 10 minute walk away from Holm Park so I should really be supporting Clydebank.

Why not Yoker Athletic?

My grandad/granny and mother are retired oirish weegies here!!! :lol:

Arbroath has a normal amount of OF fans. I find it refreshing seeing so many kids in AFC tops these days tbh. Plenty United and Aberdeen fans in the Broath aswell. Our attendances the last 3 year have averaged 700-750 over the season. About 3% of the towns population. Probably a normal amount for lower league teams.

It's definitely no a cesspit! I think The Stag occasionally run a minibus to Celtic Park. Then there's the 'Smokie Bears' but there's no even enough of them to get a mini bus every week.

Arbroath has a normal amount of OF fans.

I have to admit the refreshing thing about Dundee is the lack of OF fans!!! Everybody seems to be United or the Dee!!

Have you not posted before you have Celtic supporting family? Also the monifieth loyal pick up in arbroath.

Anyway, I'll bow to your greater knowledge but it was definitely my perception from working all over Angus that Forfar and Kirrie favoured united, Montrose was a bit of an old firm/Aberdeen mix and brechin similar but more Aberdeen.

I'll say this for arbroath there is definitely more evidence of local support there than the other Angus towns.

According to this i should support Dundee :thumbsdown

Same, Splitting Dundee in two is bs. East Perthshire, North fife and South Angus is all Arab and Dee territory; unlike the ugly sister and its, equally ugly, adopted sister, we don't have defined areas that are United and Dee areas.

Have you not posted before you have Celtic supporting family? Also the monifieth loyal pick up in arbroath.

Anyway, I'll bow to your greater knowledge but it was definitely my perception from working all over Angus that Forfar and Kirrie favoured united, Montrose was a bit of an old firm/Aberdeen mix and brechin similar but more Aberdeen.

I'll say this for arbroath there is definitely more evidence of local support there than the other Angus towns.

Aye. Gran and Grandad lived in Anniesland originally, moved here with my maw and her sister. Rest of what's a pretty big side of the family still stay in Glasgow. Grandads dead now sadly but he was a massive Celtic/Scotland fan. Used to go to Firhill alot too. Gran actually worked in Parkhead for a while.

I worked in Forfar for a bit, got the feeling that there was quite a few United fans but wouldn't say anymore than the other Angus towns, went on the A90 Arabs bus a few times with a Forfar mate from college, seems to be a lot of United support from Angus. Same with Aberdeen. Must of been passed down from the new firm days.

Aye I'm pretty happy with our crowds, would like the club to do more with schools though, we already seem to have a load of kids running about at games without any real presence in the schools. Could get more in if we made an effort.

Arbroath definitely ain't an OF cesspit though, a guy I was speaking to at a site meeting a few months back said the exact same words to me.. Unsure why people have this opinion

Vast majority of my mates support Arbroath, to different levels.

Archived