Do you support your local team?

Not one of those big debate threads (though I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into one), but something based on actual fact.

I've put together a plot showing the "catchment area" for each of the 42 SPFL clubs so you can see who you should be supporting.

Click Me

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Splitting the city of Dundee geographically is a lot of shite for a start. Both Dundee clubs have broadly the same catchment area.

It's not even like Glasgow/Edinburgh in that within the city certain areas are strongholds of each club - that's why our rivalry is a bit friendlier IMO.

I grew up uninterested in football. Growing up in the West of Edinburgh Hearts are technically my home team.

It was living in Dingwall I was invited to a Ross County match I began to love the game. I live between Edinburgh and Dingwall and continue to support County.

Everyone with half a braincell knows that Dundee's catchment area is the City of Dundee and Broughty Ferry.

Carnoustie, Monifieth, Blairgowrie etc are the strange, law-deprived Arabian Strongholds.

Some interesting oddities in there. The fans from the likes of Wick and Thurso have some drive to see their "local" team Elgin in action, passing Ross County and Inverness on their way. Fans from Dunbar would need to drive through the catchment area of five other teams in order to see their "local" heroes, East Fife.

Rangers is my closet, and St. Mirren look to be closer than Partick Thistle, but I'm not a great swimmer. I live a 10 minute walk away from Holm Park so I should really be supporting Clydebank.

Not one of those big debate threads (though I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into one), but something based on actual fact.

I've put together a plot showing the "catchment area" for each of the 42 SPFL clubs so you can see who you should be supporting.

Click Me

On what basis have you partitioned off the seemingly arbitrary lines? For example, it says where I live should mean I'm a St Mirren fan, despite living in a different county on the other side of a major river and with an SPFL team just along the road from me.

On what basis have you partitioned off the seemingly arbitrary lines? For example, it says where I live should mean I'm a St Mirren fan, despite living in a different county on the other side of a major river and with an SPFL team just along the road from me.

I presume that each club was selected as a point which gave out an expanding circle. Where the circle intersected with others, lines were drawn.

It would be interesting to see how the map changes when taking into account major bodies of water.

Archived