Premier League 2015-16

Pretty chuffed with Newcastle's January. Perez given a new long-term contract and the signing of four players to improve the squad. Still think they could've done with a defender or two, especially a left back to help stop shipping in the goals though.

We're Newcastle. We don't do defenders.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steven Fletcher away to marseille is mad. His agent must be amazing. I have never seen someone with so little to offer get the moves and money he does.

He's probably not going to play much. Even the team's own website says he's "not known for his technical ability" and basically runs about a lot.

We're Newcastle. We don't do defenders.

Fair point. If the team still had the talent of Keegan's Entertainers it'd be all well and good but unfortunately I don't think there's the talent attacking to rely on outscoring the opposition every match.

In saying that, I can't think of a single point where I felt confident in the defence!

No, of course not.

It has been one thing City have lacked since they have hit the financial jackpot, in my opinion they have never had a world class manager. Pep is proper box office, if he can't make them a force to be reckoned with in Europe then I doubt anyone can.

Obviously it would take them decades to take over United and Liverpool in terms of trophies won ect but I can see them dominating England and even have a bit of European success in the next few years.

This will be the end of Yaya and a few others I imagine.

It has been one thing City have lacked since they have hit the financial jackpot, in my opinion they have never had a world class manager. Pep is proper box office, if he can't make them a force to be reckoned with in Europe then I doubt anyone can.

Obviously it would take them decades to take over United and Liverpool in terms of trophies won ect but I can see them dominating England and even have a bit of European success in the next few years.

This will be the end of Yaya and a few others I imagine.

This.

Of course they're going to take decades to ever get close to the history of Liverpool and United but in the here and now this puts them right up there with the biggest clubs in Europe - surely?

Agree on Toure that's him out the door.

Players i'd like to see as a result of this :

Lahm

Busquets

Muller

Alaba

Don't actually know if there's any chance of any of them leaving their current clubs at any point.

Hopefully Leicester City can get back to winning ways against the bin dippers tonight.

Couple of tough away games coming up against Citeh and Arsenal...

On a more salient point will Citeh's managerial announcement see them stutter in their four title challenge or will they knuckle down and pick up a trophy or two before Pep takes over the reigns?

There's enough of this pish from you in every single Scotland match thread I'm sure.

Call it pish all you want, but two of the lowest scoring teams so far this season decided fletcher wasnt good enough and instead one spent just under 10mill on a championship striker while another went for a striker who has sat on his arse since September last year without a club

Toure is finished at city now. Guardiola won't put up with mercenaries, I think he's the ideal boss to turn city into the biggest club in England for years to come. Would be surprised if we don't see at least two or three players moving from Bayern or Barca.

Looks like Guardiola's going to be signing every single world class player next season as well as curing cancer and bringing about world peace. Klopp's going to be discarded by the media as a moment of madness that meant nothing darling, honestly.

Looks like Guardiola's going to be signing every single world class player next season as well as curing cancer and bringing about world peace. Klopp's going to be discarded by the media as a moment of madness that meant nothing darling, honestly.

This page of the thread alone is nauseating enough

So Villa, 10 points from safety, sign absolutely nobody this month. Down with a whimper.

Seemingly Garde is pretty despondent about them missing out on all their signing targets. It must be pretty depressing to see two of your direct relegation rivals grabbing the very players you wanted to sign.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/01/remi-garde-aston-villa-premier-league-transfers

Steven Fletcher has signed for Marseille - https://twitter.com/OM_Officiel/status/694265449555558400

Interesting move for him, he's hardly rubbish having spent most of his career in the English Premier League even if its been for poor teams. Its already been said they haven't signed him for his technical ability more for his mental attributes by the sounds of things - " He won't leave you indifferent. He won't be under the radar at the Velodrome Stadium or in any of France's other stadiums. OM has added a Scotsman to its team. Which, if you know the spirit of that people, is already good news. He also has an open look; he's a fighter. We love him already, and soon we won't be the only ones."

Is Pellegrini not a world class manager? Did I read that?

The difference is Guardiola's stock is just so high that he's in a class of his own right now. Also, while Pellegrini is obviously a top manager, he hasn't managed to steer Man City to the latter stages of the Champions League yet, Guardiola will be expected to deliver that as a minimum I'd guess. Saying that, Pellegrini might well get them further this season, or even win it. What's the chances of him doing something similar to Jupp Heynckes at Bayern before being replaced by Guardiola?

Pellegrini is such a classy guy and like Heynckes he's just been unlucky that Guardiola is looking for a new challenge. Pellegrini originally signed a 3-year contract with Man City in 2013, and the club reported in 2015 that he'd signed a contract extentsion taking him up to 2017 (http://www.mcfc.com/News/Team-news/2015/August/Club-statement-Manuel-Pellegrini-contract-extension/1438944266). Now Pellegrini is saying he's happy to finish his contract on the original date because it was "a contract for one more year, but with a clause that one of the club or me cannot use that extended contract. So I will finish here on the original date. They are not doing anything behind me. I knew this a month ago."

He'll just take his money and accept he's being replaced by the current hottest property in management. Wonder if he'll get another job in England?

Heynckes was also quite old and retired after effectively reaching the pinnacle of his management career (and the whole thing was announced in June rather than February). I don't think the situations are comparable.

Ed - Guardiola's switch to Munich was in fact reported mid-January. Whoops. I don't think the people he's replacing are that comparable, though.

He'll just take his money and accept he's being replaced by the current hottest property in management. Wonder if he'll get another job in England?

United could certainly do much worse than him presuming LVG eventually gets punted.

Ive a funny feeling Pep wont be the raving success everyone expects of him, tbh. Citys budget may be infinite but the EPL homegrown rules and squad size limitations could absolutely ruin any attempt to build the squad he wants. You look at Citys squad and only the likes of Silva and Aguero really stand out as being close to the type of player and level of player hes used too.

Archived