Yet another US shooting

17 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I've been to the US a good few times and my sister lives in NYC. We also did a west coast road trip for our honeymoon in 2017, and a driving holiday through Florida in 2019

I see a lot of unpleasant commentary about New York, but in all the times we've been there exploring the city I've never witnessed anything nasty. The odd weirdo on the subway is about as bad as I've seen.

San Francisco was horrific though, and it's probably worse now. People literally strewn on the pavements, alive or dead who knows, and a constant smell of excrement in the air around the downtown area. Horrible. Quite why anyone would want to live there is beyond me, especially considering the living costs. We had an interesting conversation with a taxi driver one night, a Mexican-American who shared a house with 3 other drivers and worked 7 days to afford it. Each of them paid $1900/month rent. We asked him why he does it and his response - it's San Francisco, man!

Before our Florida trip, if I thought of Florida I thought of Disney, Miami Beach and the Keys. I don't think I really appreciated until I drove through it that rural Florida is basically the Deep South. One day driving around when we missed a turn, I absolutely did not want to stop and reverse into a side road in case it was private property and I got shot.

We stayed in Miami for a few nights which was fine, although we did note that one of the hotel reviews said there was a drive-by shooting at breakfast recently.

The US is a fascinating place to visit, but there's always a little voice in the back of my mind telling me I need to keep my head down in case someone decides he wants to shoot someone today.

Florida, where the further north you go the more Southern it gets.

Montana banning Tik Tok as it's making people do stupid things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Montana

Commies!!!!!

Btw I travelled from LA to NY on public transport (bus) and camped at most stop offs, it took just under 6 weeks.

Only place I felt in danger was New Orleans. 

Texas and South Carolina had the friendliest people.

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I cannot remember the name of it, but apparently there is a massive cemetery in New Orleans which is a no-go zone because a shitload of criminal activity occurs in there. 

St. Louis No 1 and No 2 are the generally no go unless in a tour group. St. Louis No 1 is the worst risk wise, but groups are safe IF a you stay with the group. Much like the French Quarter, across New Orleans there are good, middling and bad areas for tourists, especially alone or in a small group. Usually a discussion with the hotel desk about what you are trying to see will offer good advice on the best way to get there safely…or, perhaps to reconsider that locale.

Edit: I’m not trying to single out New Orleans, but it is a riskier city to visit than many others for a number of reasons. The first is the view that drinking is part of being in New Orleans, and there are those that will target obviously inebriated visitors. Secondly, the “no go areas” are all to often pretty close the the popular areas. Lastly, most visitors are pretty obvious and behave in a manner (looking all around but not watching, waving around cameras and phones, etc) that attracts attention, and not always from the upstanding members of society.

While I lived there, there were a number of areas I would have felt comfortable enough in myself that I would also recommend tourists avoid, simply because those around me and myself would be acting in a manner that didn’t invite or draw trouble. I wouldn’t be very comfortable doing that these days, because it’s been so long and things change…but if you can suppress the looking around and making obviously touristy comments, you can make yourself less of a target (until you open your mouth).

Edited by TxRover

My mate and I toured quite a bit of the US back in early 2000s and never had any issues with locals although we were on occasion advised that perhaps it would be wiser to get a taxi than walk, and it had nothing to do with distance.

A couple of times on road trips we took a wrong turn and and even it was just a block or two off the main drag you got the feeling that it might not be an area you would want to break down in.

When we visited New Orleans our hotel was a ten min walk from Bourbon St.  The walk there and back was literally night and day between who you saw at the bus stop depending on which time you passed it. 

Keeping your wits about you, not letting people hear your funny accent and not giving them eye contact was the way to do it.

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

At the NRA Convention, the Governor of South Dakota, Kristi Noem, announced that her granddaughter, age 2, already has her first rifle, shotgun and pony…in that order.

The pony is a bit much tbf.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Alabama, you’re not far off. This is the same area where a family altercation over the results of an American College Football game (Alabama vs Auburn, known as the Iron Bowl) a few years ago was a shooting.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

The local authorities are being strangely quiet about it and all the reporting seems to be coming from one online news source, https://bnonews.com/

Latest tweet from the County Sheriff..

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The local authorities are being strangely quiet about it and all the reporting seems to be coming from one online news source, https://bnonews.com/

Such gifting to police is a performative political act. Even the choice of food item, traditional and ideally home made by a woman, is deliberate. The gratitude being expressed is for "keeping everyone safe" (from the Blacks and the poors).

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

8 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Such gifting to police is a performative political act. Even the choice of food item, traditional and ideally home made by a woman, is deliberate. The gratitude being expressed is for "keeping everyone safe" (from the Blacks and the poors).

Even more fun, most major U.S. news sites are NOT leading, or in many cases, or even mentioning this shooting…it’s too common place and, to be honest, it’s African-American teens (subtext: and we know they are all criminals and armed)…

…Yes, that’s how a pretty significant proportion of the population will still see this. In the rest of the world its children shot, in the U.S. it’s “teens”, like that makes it more understandable or less horrific.