Inverness Caley Transfer Policy Criticised

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Link.

Essentially the SFA appointed some guy to help Scottish football have more Scottish players playing in the top flight back in 2010. Fair enough, but now that it's not turned out the way he/SFA expected (At least 75% of players in the top flight being Scottish), he's decided to have a pop at ICT for their transfer policy of signing lower league players from down South.

Do you agree with his criticisms highlighted in the link?

Think it's shocking personally. Let's face it, in the position ICT are in with their location and that, they have an extremely tough job trying to convince players to sign for them instead of a more central club. If Caley didn't show the ingenuity they have shown with their business dealings over the past few years, I don't think they'd have been able to compete year on year in the top 6, nevermind become one of the strongest sides in Scotland.

Think Gray is deflecting big time personally, but some might agree, thought it was worth creating a thread to see what thoughts were on this 'controversy'?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely laughable nonsense from start to finish. The bit about the overall strategy being success for the Scottish international teams in particular was ridiculous: I'm sure clubs would be delighted if they could develop players to help Scotland but, obviously, that isn't their main aim.

Your poll asks two different questions.

Yes, a club which places focus on signing players from the lower leagues of England above bringing through their own talent from their large geographical catchment area hurts the Scottish game, as the effect of exposing lots of young kids in the country to Premiership-affiliated teams is good in re-fostering a national culture of getting kids playing regular football, with an aim of subsequently playing their football in Scotland and benefitting all teams in the process.

No, it doesn't hurt the international side, because nobody who's a first team regular at a team that isn't Celtic is going to get near the Scotland starting squad, currently.

With the former in mind, I would like Inverness (and all clubs, always) to put their efforts into a sustainable, on-going recruitment and training of as many kids from their area as possible but I understand there are limitations in such a scenario. Good on them for being able to find so many gems and achieve success as a result. Not to mention it's a bit harsh to pick on Inverness given the relative lengths of their existence and their time as a top flight team and the assorted money they can get from that to put into their youth systems.

The reason we dont go for players from the lower leagues of scottish football is because they want too much money and/or don't want to relocate to the highlands

Graeme Shinnie came through our youth ranks to become one of the best left backs in the league and he was nowhere near the scotland team, so dont see how our transfer policy hurts the international squad

Notice how he went after the 'wee club'. The club that can't afford to take 'punts' on players. I'm sure we'd all love to see 11 boys on the park from Inverness but when you're on the shoestring budget these things aren't realistic. Think of the money that has to go into youth coaches, facilities (that even the first team don't have) plus loads of additional extras which if you are adding another 10-15 guys to your youth squads all adds up.

It might be seen as deflection but if it's about how it affects the national side then let's seriously take a look at Rangers and Celtic. Two clubs with state of the art facilities, the whole of Scotland to cherrypick the talent from, 'real money' to fund all this and the knowledge that these two (especially Celtic right now) could really push to have a full team of young, homegrown, genuine talent and would probably still win titles at a canter. But no, what do we get?

Beram Kayal, Fran Sandaza, Jon Daly, Biel Moshni, Amido Balde, Timmo Pukki, etc. Aye, all guys who you'd have to be mad to think a club could produce their own talent better than this lot..

Oh wait. Yeah. I forgot.

c***s.

I might listen to him if he mentioned Brora and Nairn poaching Clachnacuddin's best players but he didn't so I have no comment on this issue. Much as I despise them County and Caley have overachieved massively given their location and fan bases. and the historical inbred ugly sister following in the Highlands that continues to this day, so I'm not going to knock them for doing it by clever recruitment outside the region, whether it be central belt, England, Poland or Africa. Anyway their youth policies are beginning to show fruit, so he's talking shite. But apart from that, no comment.

If Inverness were picking a bunch of foreigners and doing utter shite then he might have a point. But they have been very successful over the last few years, particularly given the size of their budget compared with others.

It's not as though they aren't bringing Scottish players through anyway. Graeme Shinnie and Ryan Christie are both excellent, and they also had a big part in the development of Scotland internationals Andrew Shinnie and Don Cowie. It should be a quality over quantity thing for the SFA - better to have one Ryan Christie than 10 Gregg Wyldes or Bob McHughs.

Either fill teams with 100% Scottish players with many not making the grade and the league being weaker for it, or have the current set up which people will still moan and talk fucking down anyway. I don't think any of the supposed "best leagues in the world" that folk get all misty eyed about are filled with players only born in those countries.

IMO caley should be stripped of their cup win for essentially harming the future of Scottish football.

Teams that don't (and never have) signed overpriced foreigners,such as Celtic perhaps, should be retrospectively awarded the cup IMO.

As opposed to Celtic, buying marginally better European shite and paying substantially more for the privilege.

Until the reserve league is brought back in its next to impossable to even think about bringing young guys through from development league to first team.

They then need to go out on loan to a lower league club. This tactic has its place but what invariably then happens is that youngsters place in the squad is then taken by a lower league 'journeyman'.

I'll never understand the fascination with having as many Scots playing in Scotland as possible, that won't help the national side. Theyd be better going abroad and playing in a better league surely?

:lol: Fucking hell.

I'm sure (hope) ICT don't give cunting damn about the Scottish national team. It isn't the clubs responsibilities to develop players to help Scotland.

I bet our chairman and my fellow supporters were fucking devastated then ICT youth product Graeme Shinnie lifted the Scottish Cup last month, no fewer than 15 yards away from his Invernessian team mates and fellow youth products Nick Ross, Liam Polworth and Ryan Christie.

Notice how he went after the 'wee club'. The club that can't afford to take 'punts' on players. I'm sure we'd all love to see 11 boys on the park from Inverness but when you're on the shoestring budget these things aren't realistic. Think of the money that has to go into youth coaches, facilities (that even the first team don't have) plus loads of additional extras which if you are adding another 10-15 guys to your youth squads all adds up.

It might be seen as deflection but if it's about how it affects the national side then let's seriously take a look at Rangers and Celtic. Two clubs with state of the art facilities, the whole of Scotland to cherrypick the talent from, 'real money' to fund all this and the knowledge that these two (especially Celtic right now) could really push to have a full team of young, homegrown, genuine talent and would probably still win titles at a canter. But no, what do we get?

Beram Kayal, Fran Sandaza, Jon Daly, Biel Moshni, Amido Balde, Timmo Pukki, etc. Aye, all guys who you'd have to be mad to think a club could produce their own talent better than this lot..

Oh wait. Yeah. I forgot.

c***s.

Don't have anything against ICT's signing policy and I'm not disputing that we've bought our share of foreign dross, but the squad we have now is actually about half Scottish, which is pretty good. Now if only Scotland could produce some top quality defenders again.....

Archived