When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, RedRob72 said:

I've never once claimed to be a member of the Orange Order or an active supporter (including marches) yes I head over in July every year, attending the Antrim district walk, and visit on a number of other occasions throughout the year,I have done since I was a kid. The 12th is very much a time to get together with friends and family these days. It makes none of us religious bigots. You're very misguided. As for British Unionism, a United Kingdom of 4 fine nations, welcoming and embracing, and generally regarded worldwide as a tolerant and friendly society. A Union that is far removed from the far right of the British National Party for example., that was my point, the two are not the same in any way. It won't alter your own prejudices, but that's your issue pal.
The decision to leave the EU still baffles me however.

If you think the British nation is itself "a union of four fine nations", why are you content to see two of those fine nations decide what happens to the other two, and for the largest of those fine nations to elect the sovereign governments of all four?

That doesn't seem a good or reasonable union, as a union should (to any reasonable person) require some kind of equality. You wouldn't accept the UK joining a union with other, larger nations that decide its foreign policy (by virtue of being bigger), so why is it not only alright, but crucial that Scotland be incorporated into another nation state?

I think the term British unionist is fair enough to describe those who continue to support the union of Scotland / England / Wales / NI. It has some negarive conotations up here as it is geerallyassociated with a particular strand of politics in Northern Ireland but the term unionist to describe someone who supports a union seems reasonable. I would describe myself as a supporter of the union but not a British nationalist as given its association with the BNP.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

I think the term British unionist is fair enough to describe those who continue to support the union of Scotland / England / Wales / NI. It has some negarive conotations up here as it is geerallyassociated with a particular strand of politics in Northern Ireland but the term unionist to describe someone who supports a union seems reasonable. I would describe myself as a supporter of the union but not a British nationalist as given its association with the BNP.

But you support a nation, as the "union" that you support had one job, and it did it centuries ago: to create a single nation state. By any stretch of the imagination, you are a UK nationalist. You might have been a "unionist" in 1707, or even a unionist when the Conservatives fought for a "union between Great Britain and Ireland" (which is the explicit union referred to in "Conservative and Unionist Party"), but today, given the UK is a nation state (and no part of its full title even acknowledges the existence of Scotland, England or Wales as entities), you're a nationalist. Supporting the UK no more makes one a "unionist" than one would call a Texan a unionist for supporting the existence and continuation of the USA. We'd rightly call that Texan an American nationalist (though I suspect he'd prefer "American patriot" or some such).

You might not express your nationalism in the same way as Nick Griffin, but then neither does every Scottish nationalist express theirs in the same way as Peter Dow.

Edited by Antlion

Unionism is nationalism they're the exact same thing it's important anyone discussing Scottish politics right now understands.  Kezia dugdale like all unionists is by definition a British nationalist, so is jmo the weapon they're both just forms of nationalism.  

Why do you need to target a poster who isn't even involved in this conversation?
Fuzzy gonna Fuzzy?

On 28/10/2016 at 08:40, Baxter Parp said:

She told the truth and the outcome is the evidence.  The UK government hasn't guaranteed the right to stay for EU nationals despite being asked to do so many times and they've started recording the nationalities of school pupils and company employees.  In what way can an EU national feel safe in the UK post-Brexit?

No she didn't 'tell the truth'. She attempted to use EU nationals rights to remain post secession as a bargaining chip to get a better deal from the EU. Exactly what May has been accused of.

She could easily have said 'Regardless of our negotiations with the EU let me assure those EU nationals in Scotland that they will unquestionably have the legal rights to remain here and one of our first acts as a new government will be to enact that'

Of course she didn't want to do that, and reassure those 160,000 people, because they were a handy card up the sleeve to use against the EU.

This is actually sensible politics, although distressing for those people to have that uncertainty, but it's breathtaking hypocrisy even by SNP goon standards to see them attempt to take the moral high ground on this post Brexit, when Sturgeon did exactly the same if not worse, given May hasn't threatened EU residents with losing the right to stay, in 2014.