When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Off the back of this, the SNP announced that they were eager to help the people that were being held, as opposed to the people that were trying to do their job. That tells you all you need to know.

It's totally fine to invoke Godwin's Law in response to this. Sometimes the law is an arse and the people trying to enforce it should show some principles.

40 minutes ago, madwullie said:

An MP of a Scottish constituency could not vote on laws that only apply to England, meaning that a fair bit of parliamentary business would be closed to a Scottish MP. 

I'm not entirely sure that they explicitly *can't* be PM, but it would be such a hamstringing as to make it extremely unlikely to happen. 

The same,goes for minister of health and various other high ranking government positions. 

Are they even allowed to debate this stuff? I don't think so

A health minister or even the Prime Minister still only have one vote.  I honestly don't see how EVEL prevents a non-English representative from being PM. 

1 hour ago, sophia said:

So there we have it, Sweden and Finland, with the aftermath of the cold war taken into account, only took several years to join.

I see no "apparatus" impediment that would see our accession taking longer.

So you have moved from it taking less than a couple of months to not more than a few years within the space of one post.

There are plenty of impediments, some small and some that may take significant work to put in place.  A central bank will be required, membership of the Council of Europe, our border solution with England, a change in our judicial system to remove the Supreme Court etc. etc.

These obviously influences how quickly we can become independent but I accept that Scotland may be independent within a few years of a vote.  EU membership would then probably be a further couple of years down the line.

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's totally fine to invoke Godwin's Law in response to this. Sometimes the law is an arse and the people trying to enforce it should show some principles.

Indeed and I'd want a clearer and more liberal immigration policy to include meaningful quotas and support for genuine asylum seekers and refugees

However, illegal immigration is often a squalid trade based on the exploitation of the poorest and most vulnerable.

The people cheering today's example of People Power loudest would be Scotland's gang masters, pimps, human traffickers, modern slavers....and Nats.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed and I'd want a clearer and more liberal immigration policy to include meaningful quotas and support for genuine asylum seekers and refugees

However, illegal immigration is often a squalid trade based on the exploitation of the poorest and most vulnerable.

The people cheering today's example of People Power loudest would be Scotland's gang masters, pimps, human traffickers, modern slavers....and Nats.

I'm 300 miles closer to you than before and I'll be travelling another 300 to boot your baws you Tory c**t.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

So you have moved from it taking less than a couple of months to not more than a few years within the space of one post.

There are plenty of impediments, some small and some that may take significant work to put in place.  A central bank will be required, membership of the Council of Europe, our border solution with England, a change in our judicial system to remove the Supreme Court etc. etc.

These obviously influences how quickly we can become independent but I accept that Scotland may be independent within a few years of a vote.  EU membership would then probably be a further couple of years down the line.

No, no I did not. 

At least we're agreed that accession will only be a few dozen months at most

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's a completely different thing.

The post I was querying was claiming that it wasn't possible for it to happen.

BTW, this would also affect Welsh MPs and is an issue solely regarding issues which are devolved to both Welsh and Scottish parliaments.

The English could solve that by having their own devolved parliament but in absence of that, there's no forum for them to discuss issues on things which only affect them and I can see the point that you can't have Scottish and Welsh MPs voting on things like education when the English MPs have no say in that area in Wales or Scotland.

I understand the potential for a problem in what you are saying but to state that it wasn't possible for a Scottish based MP to become PM is wrong and I wanted to be sure of that before saying it.

Just looked it up. They can be present on the floor of the house and debate as far as I can tell, but they can't vote or propose amendments.

There are a lot of laws that apply to England and Wales, so Welsh MPs aren't treated quite the same. 

I dunno, I think that's quite a barrier to a Scottish MP holding a high ranking position - an open goal for any opposition at the very least. I can't see either party going for it despite the fact the could. 

There is literally no depth to which you will not sink. What an utterly pathetic, washed up shell of an individual you are.

I'm 300 miles closer to you than before and I'll be travelling another 300 to boot your baws you Tory c**t.

I liked this, then I unliked it, just so I could like it again.

#normalisebootingtoriesinthebaws

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

You object to a liberal immigration policy?  Surprising.

Liberal is a great descriptor given your beliefs have a thin veneer of progressivism but has the same barbaric outcome as the naked viciousness of the far right.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Liberal is a great descriptor given your beliefs have a thin veneer of progressivism but has the same barbaric outcome as the naked viciousness of the far right.

Yeah I want to see the end of human trafficking, bodies found in sealed containers, wee weans drowning in the Med and young lassies forced to work in Glasgow brothels.  All the product of human traffickers and the exploiters of the poor and vulnerable.

Instead, I want healthy quotas for refugees and economic migrants coupled with well-funded education and training to give them access to decent jobs and housing.

Calling this, "The naked viciousness of the far right" demeans you but the gang masters of Glasgow salute you.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Your conclusion isn't based on anything other than your opinion though which is fair enough but that wasn't what I was responding to.

That's all I was getting at.

Tbh I was replying to you and strichener in the one post 👍 🤝 

Edited by madwullie