When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

No I don't but the key is not the staunch 20%, it's about the others in Scotland who are persuadable. The rest of the uk is immaterial but the persuadables in Scotland will take a dim view of political leaders with an anti democratic purpose.

Oh and also, your three scenarios as I've already explained are simplistic. Nicola has already said that it's up to Johnson to challenge through the courts if he has a gripe. Else it is not outside a legislative process.

You sound like a lovely individual.

5 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Are you saying in the EU that Latvia, Lithuania and Slovakia have the same voice as say Germany and France?

Yes, they all have a veto and if that were the case on this island we would not be in the desperate situation we find ourselves in.

6 minutes ago, sophia said:

Yes, they all have a veto and if that were the case on this island we would not be in the desperate situation we find ourselves in.

I think you are either naive (or  disingenuous with that reply ) to think that influence is not brought to bear outwith the seldom used veto.

1 minute ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Read back your replies above. 

What? For you?

If you are having difficulty with the words (there's a lot of them and some you might not have encountered before), slowly run your finger under each one and say them out loud. Repeat any you aren't sure of.

You'll get the hang of it with practice.

1 minute ago, sophia said:

What? For you?

If you are having difficulty with the words (there's a lot of them and some you might not have encountered before), slowly run your finger under each one and say them out loud. Repeat any you aren't sure of.

You'll get the hang of it with practice.

As I said. A lovely individual.

32 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Some are Unions of equals where small countries can have a voice, others, not so much. 

Are you saying in the EU that Latvia, Lithuania and Slovakia have the same voice as say Germany and France?

As for the rest of your answer - it looks like you just made it all up as I never mentioned anything being bad. I voted to stay in the EU as on balance it is better to be inside the tent trying to change for the better than stepping out and becoming a smaller, inward -looking entity. 

I also have lots of good reasons to stay in the UK, but put simply, I am happy being a part of Britain and would not risk leaving for a 'potential' gain. I also don't like the rampant anti-English agenda of many nationalists. It's borne of ignorance.

They certainly have an infinitely bigger say in the EU than Scotland has ever had in the UK.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

They certainly have an infinitely bigger say in the EU than Scotland has ever had in the UK.

So just a matter of degree then? We have the same number of MPs as our population suggests - did you want more? Or do you just want to live in a country where Scots are a majority? What happens when the Highlands, Islands or Borders starts to complain Edinburgh and the Central belt have too much influence & get too much?

Replies not necessary as I do realise some of you are not interested in the risks involved in breaking up the union - you just want it broken!

3 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Replies not necessary as I do realise some of you are not interested in the risks involved in breaking up the union - you just want it broken!

There's quite a few that are not interested in the risks involved in staying in union....

Thankfully a diminishing minority.

7 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

So just a matter of degree then? We have the same number of MPs as our population suggests - did you want more? Or do you just want to live in a country where Scots are a majority? What happens when the Highlands, Islands or Borders starts to complain Edinburgh and the Central belt have too much influence & get too much?

Further broken. It was broken in the 20s. And I think it’s pretty normal for the electorate of a nation to make up the majority of that nation. Scotland’s electorate being made up by the people who live here doesn’t sound as wild as you seem to think - at least not to those of us who aren’t UK nationalists.

Of course, if you don’t see Scotland as a country but rather a wee region of a country (akin to a small group of islands or the borders, which I’m surprised you don’t call “the middle shires”), then naturally the thought of Scots making up a majority would disgust you. That’s holy mother England’s job.

Edited by Antlion

6 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Its not a degree. Its the difference between some and none.

There's no point engaging with you any further, you're a British nationalist. For you its about identity. Luckily British nationalists like you are very much in the minority in Scotland. 

23 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I don’t really agree with that.

The EU and the euro is controlled by Germany and France to the detriment of the southern nations.

The euro exchange rate is low enough to help German and French exports but too high for Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

I think I’d do some checking up into the workings of the EU before you commit Scotland to becoming involved, if indeed they accepted you.

21 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I like this guy. 

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The EU and the euro is controlled by Germany and France to the detriment of the southern nations.

The euro exchange rate is low enough to help German and French exports but too high for Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

I think I’d do some checking up into the workings of the EU before you commit Scotland to becoming involved, if indeed they accepted you.

I don't really care if you agree or not. Its true. 

The EU would welcome Scotland with open arms, as they have said repeatedly. 

14 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

This argument is not even in the same postcode as rational.

The Scottish Parliament is and will remain in Edinburgh. The only thing that stops that is Lizzie agreeing to abolish it. 

When we are independent, the Westminster Parliament ceases to have the ability as they said just a few days ago to divert funds to gerrymander places of their choice.

So places like the highlands and islands and the borders suffer nothing in terms of their voice, in fact quite the opposite.

5 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The question was on EU voting rights, not the Euro.

Scotland, like Sweden will be accepted.

Scotland, like Croatia won't be required to adopt the Euro.

Anyone arguing to the contrary is doing so from a novel position.

56 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The EU is in large part the neoliberal hellhole it is because of Thatcher. Even Mitterand seemed to have a better vision for Europe.

4 hours ago, sophia said:

Oh and also, your three scenarios as I've already explained are simplistic. Nicola has already said that it's up to Johnson to challenge through the courts if he has a gripe. Else it is not outside a legislative process.

Yes, that was exactly what my second scenario is - the Scottish Parliament legislates for a referendum, the UK government challenges it and the Supreme Court decides. That's why is said it's inside the legislative process. 

Number 3 would be something like the SNP organising it themselves using marked-up registers. There's nothing to stop you or I holding a referendum on anything any time we like. That's what Brian Souter did 21 years ago with his "do you hate gays?" campaign.

As for simplistic - no. Just no. Ok?

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Its not a degree. Its the difference between some and none.

There's no point engaging with you any further, you're a British nationalist. For you its about identity. Luckily British nationalists like you are very much in the minority in Scotland. 

You are quite right.

I was always told as a child, stay away from the fire, don't cross the main road and never, ever engage with a Nationalist (of any kind). They are small-minded, inward-looking and xenophobic. 

Have a good day