When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The SNP policy is to move to a new currency as soon as is practicable. This could range from straight after negotiations with the RUK are done, to the end of the first parliamentary term in an iScotland, to 10 years down the line if the growth commission folk still hold influence.

It's really not that difficult to understand lads.

It's like the incredibly complex Labour policy for Brexit that is easily decipherable to anyone but a TV presenter. 

Loving H_B's assertion here that as soon as independence is secured, Sturgeon, Brown and McKay are going to remove their face masks to reveal the rotting corpses of Thatcher, Reagan and Pinochet.

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Loving H_B's assertion here that as soon as independence is secured, Sturgeon, Brown and McKay are going to remove their face masks to reveal the rotting corpses of Thatcher, Reagan and Pinochet.

At the Fletcher Memorial no less.

6 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

What makes you think that Sturgeon is anything other than a run of the mill 'centre-left' neoliberal? Where does she differ from someone like Yvette Cooper?

She bottled it from Air BnB recently. There is no chance she would stand up to the entire Scottish financial establishment.

Also it's more complicated than as soon as possible. There are 6 tests which would be impossible to pass in practice.

Edited by Detournement

Should wait until 2022 now. Let the fog of Brexit clear, make the next Scottish election a mandate on IndyRef, and go into it with hopefully 50 plus SNP MP's after this election. By that time with a Johnson govt (still propped up I reckon by Swinson's crew after they sell out again for some vague promise of a 2nd EU Ref 'if' the public mood changes), Brexit having gone through with the mess it will bring. NS can ask for a Section 30 in the meantime of course, but no chance it will be granted. After 2021 it will be impossible to turn one down.

Edited by Jedi

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What makes you think that Sturgeon is anything other than a run of the mill 'centre-left' neoliberal? Where does she differ from someone like Yvette Cooper?

She bottled it from Air BnB recently. There is no chance she would stand up to the entire Scottish financial establishment.

Also it's more complicated than as soon as possible. There are 6 tests which would be impossible to pass in practice.

Er... lot's of things from the break-up of the right-wing UK to removal of Trident to free prescriptions and education to opposing the House of Lords. Sure, she's no Maoist but she's left-enough for a start.

Just now, Detournement said:

Aye. Sadly more people in England will vote to end austerity than here.

No they don't. 

Is this you trying to convince me to vote No?

I am not trolling, I am really looking for the Unionists to give me some genuine reason to vote No.

43 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

4 or 5 weeks will be enough. 

The fact they couldn't in 2014 and still can't answer what currency we will use if we go independent is one of the main reasons I didn't in 2014 and still won't vote for independence.  I am not against it in principal but until issues like that are clarified I can't vote for it. 

An answer was given. The pound would be used for the immediate future.

22 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Aye. Sadly more people in England will vote to end austerity than here.

Very good. Almost believable had the SNP notpractically written large parts of what will be Corbyns manifesto.

Unreconstructed Scottish labour. Still point and laugh material I am afraid.

For the same reason that a Conservative would class Labour as far left,.  i.e. their own political leanings pevent objective analysis of the political spectrum. 
Unless of course you think that we are about to head into a fascist government?

I read it as meaning something along the lines of “Right wing even by Tory standards” which seemed fair enough.

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What makes you think that Sturgeon is anything other than a run of the mill 'centre-left' neoliberal? 

Oh, I'm under no illusions that the growth commission and parts of the leadership and party are very much neolib, Blairite triangulation types. But, you know fine well that becoming a 'broad church' and travelling down a gradulist, centrist path is essential to delivering independence.

28 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Air Bnb thing was shite, neither Sturgeon or the SNP are perfect. I'm not alone amongst the membership in wishing that they were more radical and left wing. Again though, you know this and you know it's a balancing act. Plus, *sideways glance at the other parties* they remain the only show in town.

I'm unsure why you think that standing up to the entire Scottish (and inevitably British) financial establishment in the embryonic days of an independent Scotland would be a desirable course of action. It will be a time of negotiations and compromise. The beauty of Independence is of course, that we can always vote someone else in who will stand up to them.

46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There's already been significant pushback against the growth commission and the 6 tests at conference. Nearer the time, it's inevitable that the tests will be relaxed in order for us to make the transition. In fact, the EU membership desired by the leadership will see to it.

There is also zero chance that the Bank of England would not do all in it's power to try and make sure the oil and gas money, as well as the food and drinks exports from Scotland were traded in anything other than GBP. That's before considering everything else that Scotland contributes.
Long term, an independent Scotland running it's own currency would be the sensible option. That wouldn't happen overnight, sensible solutions would be sought in the interim period.
Let's not forget that converting our debt into anything other than GDP would be terrible for rUK, maybe we should convert the assets into dollars while we're at it.

Scotland will do absolutely fine with foreign currency as we're an export economy.
rUK ? Not so much.

I'm not convinced that a spurned and potentially Tory England would do anything sensibly.
Also they wouldn't have to do anything to ensure that we trade in GBP as the SNP have already stated that we will.

Having no faith that the UK government will act rationally or act in the best interest of the UK is yet another very good reason to get rid.

4 or 5 weeks will be enough. 

The fact they couldn't in 2014 and still can't answer what currency we will use if we go independent is one of the main reasons I didn't in 2014 and still won't vote for independence.  I am not against it in principal but until issues like that are clarified I can't vote for it. 

^^^What will I do when I go down the shop and they won't accept my tenner type post.