The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

There's obviously a lot of nitpicking on this thread but stuff like this - where the pathetic clickbait premise of the story wilts before your eyes after a couple of half-hearted paragraphs - is what gets tabloids and hacks a bad name

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-warned-face-welcome-hell-12969504

I find this terrible, almost bordering racist. Every fucking year.

3 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-warned-face-welcome-hell-12969504

Am I being an overly sensitive snowflake or does using phrases like red hot atmosphere and even hotter for Celtic seem a bit inappropriate to describe anything Greek at the moment?

31 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

To be fair, The Athens Mirror is probably running articles about the CESSPIT of SECTARIAN HATE that AEK fans will face on the streets of Glasgow where clerics are DEFILED and innocent members of the public are ATTACKED for crossing the road  during parades commemorating a 17th Century Dutch homosexual. And where stadium seats are SMASHED in an orgy of VIOLENCE by weedy teenagers with badly spelled banners and Free Palestine badges.

Edited by Swello

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Call me naive but why? Reading the quotes it just says Greek fans have a reputation for very intense atmospheres.

I said borderline. Only certain countries  are HELL, you can predict them.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's fair enough.

You're right that both have a place but it's dispiriting that the tabloids reach so many more people, even if they're in decline.

The thing I find most annoying isn't even the fault of the tabloids or their readers, and that's how the same sort of journalistic style seeps into other media.  The most notable and inexcusable example of this concerns the football  output of BBC Radio Scotland.

The dumbing down of Radio Scotland's football coverage is infuriating. The national broadcaster should absolutely be above that, it's part of its public service remit to educate and inform after all.

2 hours ago, HaikuHibee said:

You're having us on? This must be your kryptonite, or a horror show.

Or in your language. You were SLAMMED by ANGRY fans, in SHOCK footie thread.

Tabloids aren't really my thing but if you insist :)

16 hours ago, HaikuHibee said:

I said borderline. Only certain countries  are HELL, you can predict them.

I'm with you.  Predictable and cliched.  Former Soviet outposts and Mediterranean teams - usually accompanied with a photo of their fans with a flare.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44977878

Striker Adam Rooney says he got so much stick on social media for his decision to leave Aberdeen for Salford City in England's fifth tier that he did not look at his phone for four days. (Daily Record)

1. He does not play here.

2. Noone could possibly care, even if he did.

Edited by HaikuHibee

17 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Ramon on STV is getting on my Eartha Kitts. Every night he opens with Celtic and follows it with, meanwhile at Ibrox. No mention of any other West of Scotland team.

Why just West of Scotland teams?  Do they mention Hibs and Hearts?

Daily Record from seven days ago.

“Rangers midfielder Greg Docherty isn't on my radar insists Sunderland boss Jack Ross”

Daily Record from today.

“One player heading out the door on a loan deal is midfielder Greg Docherty and it’s understood Sunderland and Rotherham are keen on him”

It’s almost like the make shit up to pander to fans of the ugly sisters.