The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

They play in a town with a similar population to Paisley but for all that to "Transport a town and ground that size to Scotland though and you'd have a club that regularly qualifies for Europe." is wild conjecture.

Well the clubs in this country that regularly attract 15,000 - 20,000 fans do, so it's not wild conjecture at all.

7 hours ago, Spring Onion said:

So let's say Kilmarnock with surrounding area?

:thumsup2

Another white elephant ground and a side that has in fact qualified for Europe much more often than has Burnley.

Perhaps though, I should re-word the point to say "a club" the size of Burnley.  That's clearly what I was getting at by referring to the size of the town and the ground, but for the avoidance of doubt I'm suggesting that a club the size of Burnley would be a bigger fish in our game.  I'm saying  this in response to the earlier suggestions by posters that they're a "nothing club" and "tinpot AF"

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 7/30/2018 at 12:08, JTS98 said:

All joking aside, any professional broadcaster should be fired for speaking like that.

It can be like nails down the blackboard at times. Couldn't they find it in the budget to give the journalists and ex players a quick primary school level crash course in English?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3003276/uche-ikpeazu-hearts-warning-vow-premiership-tynecastle/

'Bulldozing striker Ikpeazu helped destroy Championship Caley Thistle on Sunday with a deadly double to light up his Tynecastle debut as the Jambos made the Betfred Cup last 16.'

He scored against Cowdenbeath on his actual Tynecastle debut just five days earlier.

Edited by Elixir

59 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's been years!
YEARS! How do folk still not get this?! Especially the folk who sponsor the league! 

The thing that gets me is that the change from the SPL and SFL to the SPFL is actually pretty significant.

Objecting to this does not just involve the sort of pedantry in distinguishing between calling the top flight the Premiership, Premier League, Premier Division or whatever.  The SPL was a completely separate body to the other divisions, designed to keep money to itself and exclude those below.

It's dispiriting that Doncaster is also in charge of the new set up, but it is different, with different structures, distributions and criteria.  Anyone still calling the top division the SPL, is just displaying monumental ignorance.

On 7/21/2018 at 15:30, Dr Koop said:

What a construction. Is BBC Scotland's sports gossip column compiled by a six-year old? Food is fresh. Paint is fresh. Bids are not. The Dons didn't 'have' their bid rejected; Motherwell rejected the bid. Fucking hell. National broadcaster. :rolleyes:

Sorry to end up quoting myself but here's another example of that kind of construction - this time from the phoney liberal Grauniad.

snippitty.PNG

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It's been years!
YEARS! How do folk still not get this?! Especially the folk who sponsor the league! 

Should just revert the name back to the SPL anyway.

Who thinks "Let's change this simple 3-lettered acronym to the SPFL Scottish Premiership"? 

Bunch of gimps in cherge. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

Should just revert the name back to the SPL anyway.

Who thinks "Let's change this simple 3-lettered acronym to the SPFL Scottish Premiership"? 

Bunch of gimps in cherge. 

Oh Sweet Jesus!

It wasn't just a frigging name change.

16 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Sorry to end up quoting myself but here's another example of that kind of construction - this time from the phoney liberal Grauniad.

snippitty.PNG

I still have no problem with it, other than that it could use a comma or two.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I still have no problem with it, other than that it could use a comma or two.

Well, the problem is that if the man could 'have' charges against him dropped he probably wouldn't have brought them against himself in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh Sweet Jesus!

It wasn't just a frigging name change.

Well, aye, Captain Obvious; nobody said it was. 

Was there any reason why it couldn't have continued to be called the SPL or revert back to that name?

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

Was there any reason why it couldn't have continued to be called the SPL or revert back to that name?

Yes there was.

The SPL was a completely distinct organisation, established in 1998 and it included only teams then in the top flight.  The SFL soldiered on subsequently without the big clubs.

Then, after the Rangers saga, the four national divisions came back under the same umbrella.  Of course, the new organisation needed a name.  SPL was not just  a name for the top flight.  It was a brand  name for an organisation that ceased to be.

12 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Well, the problem is that if the man could 'have' charges against him dropped he probably wouldn't have brought them against himself in the first place. 

Still not seeing an issue.  

Surely he can have something happen to him passively?