The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-run-that-city-isma-goncalves-expresses-love-for-old-club-in-instagram-q-a-1-4776213

Q: Some say that Celtic and Rangers are grand, but the boys in maroon are the best in the land.

Q: Who did you sit next to on the team bus?

Q: Rangers or Celtic?

16 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:
31 minutes ago, 7-2 said:
Why?

Because his accent has gone from scottish (pure David Francey style) to american (possibly Boston, not sure) when he covered the USA World Cup for American TV, to whatever it is now, some kind of bland generic south of England compromise.

I only really know him from his recent BT spell so can't comment about any accent changes but I know he's lived in the US before and is back based in Massachusetts.  From what I heard he was an excellent commentator and think he's badly missed.

10 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I only really know him from his recent BT spell so can't comment about any accent changes but I know he's lived in the US before and is back based in Massachusetts.  From what I heard he was an excellent commentator and think he's badly missed.

He may indeed be God's gift to commentating, ( he's not by the way,  his delivery's pretty formula, shoe horning pointless statistics in whenever he gets a chance), but why does he patronise us by behaving like a method actor? 

16 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

He may indeed be God's gift to commentating, ( he's not by the way,  his delivery's pretty formula, shoe horning pointless statistics in whenever he gets a chance), but why does he patronise us by behaving like a method actor? 

I must have heard a different person then or he's totally changed since leaving BT.  I take it you've been watching the US and German games he now covers. 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

It stands for Scottish Premier League. Which bit of that is chafing your buttocks?

The fact that it was the specific brand name of a specific organisation that no longer exists.

What sort of person would have unchafed buttocks over that?

9 hours ago, 7-2 said:

I must have heard a different person then or he's totally changed since leaving BT.  I take it you've been watching the US and German games he now covers. 

I think what may have happened is Rae has shagged the well named poster's wife.

11 hours ago, HaikuHibee said:

I absolutely love the ending to this -

Q: Would you come back to Hearts?
A: In life you can never say no, bro.
Q: Would you play for Hibs?
A: No, bro.

:lol: 

SOU CAN DO IT Steven Gerrard documentary: Rangers legend Graeme Souness claims league triumph is possible as Celtic ‘aren’t particularly strong’
The Liverpool legend believes Gerrard can secure the title in his first season in charge if he gets the right backing

Spoiler: click to toggle

By David Fowler 

GRAEME SOUNESS says a league triumph isn’t out of the question for Rangers in Steven Gerrard’s first season – as Celtic aren’t “particularly strong”.
Souness cited the Hoops’ Champions League hammerings at the hands of PSG as he had his say on his former club’s title chances.

He spoke about his fellow Liverpool legend and Brendan Rodgers’ Double Treble winners in beIN Sports documentary Steven Gerrard: The Boss.
The ex-Ibrox gaffer said: “Rangers right now are playing a poor second to Celtic.
“Celtic have had an advantage of year after year being in the Champions League…
“They [Rangers] are behind considerably – but that doesn’t mean to say you can’t overtake them.

“I don’t think Celtic are particularly strong.
“They’re strong enough to win the Scottish league year on year but you see how strong they are when they go into the Champions League.
“They get beaten and beaten quite badly by teams.
“It’s not impossible – it really depends on the support Steven gets.”
The Light Blues have made TEN summer signings – Allan McGregor, Scott Arfield, Jamie Murphy, Connor Goldson, Nikola Katic, Ovie Ejaria, Jon Flanagan, Umar Sadiq, Lassana Coulibaly and Ryan Kent.
They remain in pursuit of former Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty, with the Hearts striker holding talks with the Tynecastle club about his future today.
Souness added: “Can I see them winning it? I hope they do.
“It’ll still be difficult but I hope they do and it wouldn’t be impossible.”

But Ally McCoist reckons Gerrard’s best chance of silverware is the Betfred Cup or the Scottish Cup.
In the same documentary, Ibrox legend Coisty says: “I think the gulf between Celtic and the rest of the league is probably as big as it ever has been between one team and the rest of the league.
“Aberdeen have had a couple of good years under a very good manager in Derek McInnes but the gap is still there for everybody to see.

“Their best opportunity, as with the rest of the league, of winning anything would be a cup.
“The gulf between one team and the rest of the league is as big as it’s been in my lifetime.”

Souness reckons rangers are playing a poor second to Celtic, surely he meant playing a poor third to Aberdeen? Do you reckon "Sou" even knows Aberdeen came second or who even manages them?

I think what may have happened is Rae has shagged the well named poster's wife.

Oh dear. Seems he's fairly popular on here. Fair enough. He probably is the best at the moment. Competition's not exactly fierce though. When Joey Barton and Steve McLaren changed their accents abroad they were rightly ridiculed. This guy completely re-invents himself when he goes to America (or comes back). That's what I find fraudulent. My problem I suppose. Nobody else seems to care.

Joey Barton and Steve McLaren used different accents about 5 minutes after getting off the plane in a misguided attempt to be understood by the locals.  I don't think either should have been ridiculed, but it's pretty understandable why they were.  Derek Rae's accent changed a bit (if it did, I don't remember him before) after living in America for about 20 years.  Of course your accent is going to be slightly different after living abroad for that amount of time.

6 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

i see the record has decided Hearts are "digging their heels in" because they won't sell their top goal scorer to Rangers for £200 000 in instalments.

The cheek of Hearts eh.

Were I a Hearts supporter and I rated Lafferty as a player then I'd be quite happy that Hearts were 'digging their heels in"

The top league changed its name to the Premier Division long before England had their premier league. There's been various name changes since but they've been variations on the Premier theme. If anything, England copied us with that.
I completely agree that the Championship is copying and makes no sense.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Still not seeing an issue.  

Surely he can have something happen to him passively?

I'm quite sure he can, but there's a better way of describing that event than sportsdesk twaddle. :thumsup2

19 hours ago, JTS98 said:

There's nothing wrong with this. It's a simple grammar device for changing the focus of the sentence. In the case in your quote, the focus of the story is the former British soldier, not the body that has decided to drop the charges.

Just as in your first example the focus of the story was on Aberdeen. To make the sentence active would be to focus on Motherwell. The writer wanted to focus on Aberdeen. People make choices between active and passive sentences dozens of times a day based on this distinction of focus. A simple example would be "The police wrongly stopped and searched 1 million black youths last year". Focus on the police, probably an anti-police article. "One million black youths were stopped and searched wrongly by the police last year". Probably an article about the plight of young black people in the UK today.

And using 'have' doesn't mean Aberdeen chose it. For example, you can have your phone stolen, you can have your windows smashed. It's about the focus of the sentence. Passive sentences like that are good for identifying the main focus of the story and also for providing a bit of grammatical variety to a text. Passives also tend to be used in more formal texts or sometimes to show detachment or even-handedness on an issue.

That'll be £50, please.

Then the writer's focus is wrong. That'll be 100 of your finest sterlings please. :angel

ETA: The focus of the sentence can be changed without the clunky construction but I guess it's a forlorn hope that that might happen. ;)

Edited by Dr Koop
Banzaii!

1 hour ago, Austin McCann said:

i see the record has decided Hearts are "digging their heels in" because they won't sell their top goal scorer to Rangers for £200 000 in instalments.

The cheek of Hearts eh.

The sheer audacity of Hearts not to just give him to Rangers for free.