The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Going right back to the start of it, I reckon they had half a chance of coming straight back as if nothing had happened if they had been more savvy and just kept their gubs shut, and/or taken it on the chin and extended some olive branches to try and reach a solution that suited everyone.

Unfortunately for them, they reverted to type, blamed everyone but themselves and thought the usual growling and bullying would still work, whilst ovelooking that they were doing it from a position of absolutely zero strength wahtsoever.  Weirdly enough everyone told them to go and do one when they started that shite.

9 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Going right back to the start of it, I reckon they had half a chance of coming straight back as if nothing had happened if they had been more savvy and just kept their gubs shut, and/or taken it on the chin and extended some olive branches to try and reach a solution that suited everyone.

Unfortunately for them, they reverted to type, blamed everyone but themselves and thought the usual growling and bullying would still work, whilst ovelooking that they were doing it from a position of absolutely zero strength wahtsoever.  Weirdly enough everyone told them to go and do one when they started that shite.

From what i can remember some of the SPL clubs might have voted for them but the fans put pressure on the clubs to vote against them being in the SPL/Premiership or they'd boycott their own clubs. 

The Raith owner was vocal about them not starting in the 1st div/now Championship, and got death threats on him and his family, in a secret vote they were voted against joining the 2nd tier. McCoist wanted that vote to be open, with names made public, which could only be to exert fear on their safety, and pressure them into voting in Sevco's favour, and he knew exactly what making the names public would do, the despicable b*****d. 

19 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Had the pleasure of being in the away end at Ibrox when the home fans held their famous ‘Red Card to Liquidation’ protest, where all the Rangers fans held up a wee bit of red paper before the game, for some reason. I’m not an insolvency solicitor by any means, but if my team was on the brink of liquidation because of unpaid debts I would think money would be of more value than wee bits of red paper. I still chuckle away to myself every 6 months or so when I remember that was the sum of their efforts in order to save their club. 

8 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Had the pleasure of being in the away end at Ibrox when the home fans held their famous ‘Red Card to Liquidation’ protest, where all the Rangers fans held up a wee bit of red paper before the game, for some reason. 

I seem to remember being in the away end the day that happened as St Mirren were playing the dying club. 

We had loads of Poundland style mass produced fivers and tenners that we were chucking around. 

The bears wurnae best pleased. 

Imagine being the supporters who allowed the world famous Glasgow Rangers die? 

Edited by Molotov
Charged dead to dying

9 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

From what i can remember some of the SPL clubs might have voted for them but the fans put pressure on the clubs to vote against them being in the SPL/Premiership or they'd boycott their own clubs. 

The Raith owner was vocal about them not starting in the 1st div/now Championship, and got death threats on him and his family, in a secret vote they were voted against joining the 2nd tier. McCoist wanted that vote to be open, with names made public, which could only be to exert fear on their safety, and pressure them into voting in Sevco's favour, and he knew exactly what making the names public would do, the despicable b*****d. 

Yes, exactly. I recall an unrelated event at St Mirren Park around the time just before it kicked off proper, and the feeling from that night was that it was trending towards them just coming straight back. Then they starting pissing people off with their shite and fans made it clear what would happen if they did.

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I seem to remember being in the away end the day that happened as St Mirren were playing the dying club. 

We had loads of Poundland style mass produced fivers and tenners that we were chucking around. 

The bears wurnae best pleased. 

Imagine being the supporters who allowed the world famous Glasgow Rangers die? 

Yes it was the same game. Wads of Monopoly money was getting thrown around the away end whilst the Rangers fans held up their red cards to liquidation. 

Just thinking back to that time it’s actually absurd. They tried to stop their club getting liquidated by giving it a red card :lol: They tried to give a financial process a red card. What possible outcome did they imagine would come of that protest? The liquidators sitting in their office the day after the game ‘Well that’s us not liquidating Rangers anymore, did you see what they’ve went and done?’ 

‘No what did they do?’ 

‘Only went and gave us a bloody red card. Phone Brian tell him liquidations no happening. The Bears have won’. 

17 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yes it was the same game. Wads of Monopoly money was getting thrown around the away end whilst the Rangers fans held up their red cards to liquidation. 

Just thinking back to that time it’s actually absurd. They tried to stop their club getting liquidated by giving it a red card :lol: They tried to give a financial process a red card. What possible outcome did they imagine would come of that protest? The liquidators sitting in their office the day after the game ‘Well that’s us not liquidating Rangers anymore, did you see what they’ve went and done?’ 

‘No what did they do?’ 

‘Only went and gave us a bloody red card. Phone Brian tell him liquidations no happening. The Bears have won’. 

What do you imagine they would've done if they were given the choice, ok we'll not liquidate Rangers if Rangers fans agree to stop being bigots and singing sectarian songs. Nah your alright mate just liquidate them.

...and even waving red cards was pointless because apparently the incorporated entity that was Rangers FC Ltd could be separated into a club (which only deals with football) and a mysterious ethereal company which, coincidentally, had all the debts attached.

Gosh. Weird how that story only appeared later, when at the time every single person with even double digit IQ knew they were indivisible.

And it's Terrible Journalism because they all know. They know, yet they pretend it never happened. 

The BBC's obituary of superb former Aberdeen player Jim Forrest, totally ignores the reason that he didn't spend his entire career at Rangers. No mention of the fact that Rangers effectively sacked him for being the scapegoat for their Berwick Rangers defeat in 1967.

8 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Hearts Assistant Manager just last season, as well as former Killie Manager.  

So, of course, that's how they describe Lee McCulloch when he's commentating on a Killie-Hearts cup tie.

image.png.38eee85aefb76c48201e10da2bb03244.png

(after checking) he played once for Kilmarnock and managed them for thirty games. Posters on here probably have more of a Kilmarnock connection than him.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The BBC's obituary of superb former Aberdeen player Jim Forrest, totally ignores the reason that he didn't spend his entire career at Rangers. No mention of the fact that Rangers effectively sacked him for being the scapegoat for their Berwick Rangers defeat in 1967.

Aye, pretty poor and petty to boot. He actually played more games for Aberdeen than them as well as winning 3 of his 5 caps with us.  Fair enough he made his name initially with them but it's pretty poor journalism not to reference what is a decent story.

26 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Him and George McLean. That decision cost Rangers the 1967 ECWC

On 25/09/2023 at 14:13, LIVIFOREVER said:

And Brendan Rodgers heroically saving a young fan from our plastic pitch when he was halted by a Steward and fell down onto the pitch. Rodgers rushed over to put his arm around the bhoy and take him back to the stand. 

Rodgers playing to the crowd and they all lapped it up, he's a hero again.

I immediately thought of the scene in Kingpin where Ernie McCracken helps the female fan back to the stand

From 1.27 in this clip

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Aye, he played more games for the Dons than the Ibrox club.