The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 22 July 2017 at 20:40, Steve McQueen said:

Who's the author on that? I gave up reading after a couple of minutes. He's got Stubbs rated very highly due to a massive increase in PPG (which would obviously happen when you take over a team that's just been relegated and is playing in a weaker league :lol:).

Also, Gary Holt 5th :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by lanky_ffc

On 24 July 2017 at 12:03, yoda said:

(that's not to say there isn't a place for statistical analysis in football, it's just that we don't need the pretend stuff from shit journalists)

There's a lot of very good stuff out there on the major leagues, especially the Premier Leaugue, from guys like StatsBombs, Analtytics FC and Squawka to name a few. But what I've seen on Scottish football so far is utterly dreadful.

From the BBC page

Tom English

"In terms of chances created, Rosenborg were miles ahead of Celtic. Four outstanding moments that they could've converted. As it is, Celtic have survived a horrendous night."

Pat Bonner

"I still think Celtic will go through and they'll be much better next week. They'll have to be sharper and I think they'll come out on top."

What is Bonner's observation based on other than blind loyalty to Celtic? How is it journalism if you ignore facts and make random statements? He could be right, as we all know football isn't cut and dried but I can't help but think his standing and frequent invite to speak at Celtic supporters events could be compromised if he said otherwise. Do we not deserve a media that aren't afraid to upset the OF?

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Yes Bonner is a pishy auld jumper wearing c**t.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's also thick, thoroughly inarticulate and altogether lacking in any insight at all.

Enough of his positives what about his negative points.

When do we get the predictions for the upcoming season from the barely literate tabloid journalists? It will be hard to top the comedy of them tipping Sevco for the league and cups, Clyde for League 2 and Joey Barton as player of the year, but I'm sure they'll try their best.

I think that they won't go for Sevco for the league this time, despite the majority of them being horrible Sevco fans, but I think a lot of them will be going for Sevco to win a cup, and I'm sure a lot will have Alves as player of the year. Off the top of my head I can't recall any lower league club appointing a former Oldco player as manager, so they'll most likely just draw a name from a hat for them.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtics-successful-safe-standing-leads-10887896

Dodgy proofreading again from the Daily Record.

Spurs still have some way to go before it becomes a reality. Safe standing sections aren't currently

A number of fan groups down south have appealed for a standing area inside top-flight stadiums match should be incorporated in the world's richest league.

Aren't currently what there oh Daily Record?  Seems as though you missed something

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-fined-20000-uefa-illicit-10883168

Is the Record copy edited from the pub or something?  More laziness 

The club moved quickly to condone the actions of the banner ahead of the latest punishment from European football's governing body. Manager Brendan Rodgers also told supporters to keep politics away from Parkhead.

Pretty sure they meant to use the word condemn which is used later in the article

When do we get the predictions for the upcoming season from the barely literate tabloid journalists? It will be hard to top the comedy of them tipping Sevco for the league and cups, Clyde for League 2 and Joey Barton as player of the year, but I'm sure they'll try their best.
I think that they won't go for Sevco for the league this time, despite the majority of them being horrible Sevco fans, but I think a lot of them will be going for Sevco to win a cup, and I'm sure a lot will have Alves as player of the year. Off the top of my head I can't recall any lower league club appointing a former Oldco player as manager, so they'll most likely just draw a name from a hat for them.

I've written one for a website where I tipped Morton for the Championship purely because I knew everyone else would go for Yinited. Hopefully we get tipped for the Championship title though, given we have Ian Durrant and most of the Rangers U20s from the peak of the banter era.

Anyway, everyone's favourite ex Old Firm propaganda merchant, Derek Johnstone, is at it again.

13da01bd261e687d8a75bdf0f96add52.jpg

Ah the SPFL. Not shoddy journalism, but the subject has been discussed at length on this thread. Here's the body of an e-mail I received from Coral earlier today:

The New Football Season is just around the corner, and Coral has an unmissable offer to get you in the mood.

Bet £10+ on a team to win the league with the 'New Season' coupon and you'll get a £5 Free Bet for every time your team wins in August.

You can choose for a variety of 5 British Leagues to place your bet on, ranging from the Premier League to the SPFL.

Head down to your local Coral shop today, pick up a coupon and then choose your champions.

So I headed to my nearest Coral, located beside the pub I was going to anyway, and quickly discovered what they think SPFL means.

39 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

Ah the SPFL. Not shoddy journalism, but the subject has been discussed at length on this thread. Here's the body of an e-mail I received from Coral earlier today:

The New Football Season is just around the corner, and Coral has an unmissable offer to get you in the mood.

Bet £10+ on a team to win the league with the 'New Season' coupon and you'll get a £5 Free Bet for every time your team wins in August.

You can choose for a variety of 5 British Leagues to place your bet on, ranging from the Premier League to the SPFL.

Head down to your local Coral shop today, pick up a coupon and then choose your champions.

So I headed to my nearest Coral, located beside the pub I was going to anyway, and quickly discovered what they think SPFL means.

Suspected as much when they mentioned 5 British Leagues.  Unless they'd moved into the Welsh Football League, your bet on United to win the Championship by a record margin was always going to go un-priced.