The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:53, Bairnardo said:
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:49, The Minertaur said:

That is horrific. Hope Livingston ban that c**t too.

You know it's bad when @Bairnardo is backing Livi up :D 

I was trying to find out more info about the Scottish Cup when I came across yesterdays Hotline on the Daily Record website...

Tom McDade, Southampton, said: “As a Rangers fan I was pleased to see the Scottish League One positions on November 10, 1918. Rangers were top on 23 points, Celtic were on 19 points and at that time it was only two points for a win. Could this be an omen for the current Gers team this year?"

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-sold-soul-getting-bed-13583236

What does that even mean?  I checked the final league table for that season and Celtic won the league.

7 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I was trying to find out more info about the Scottish Cup when I came across yesterdays Hotline on the Daily Record website...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-sold-soul-getting-bed-13583236

What does that even mean?  I checked the final league table for that season and Celtic won the league.

Well in that case it is an omen as the Rangers team of 2018 have absolutely no chance of winning the league, just like the team of 1918.

On 12/11/2018 at 08:49, The Minertaur said:

A c**t of a human being.....and he obviously never played on a red ash park if he thinks artificial pitches are the modern day equivalent. 

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

A c**t of a human being.....and he obviously never played on a red ash park if he thinks artificial pitches are the modern day equivalent. 

Aye, for a start Morelos wouldn't have taken so many dives against us if our pitch was the same as a red ash pitch. 

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Kevin being a bit of a dick here , probably on the instructions of an editor , who has asked him to write a controversial piece between the nations league matches .

An Observer columnist writing for the Guardian in a look at me moment imo 

7 hours ago, Stu said:

God, that's a really cheap piece.

The stuff about refs here not penalising wild challenges or those from behind with red cards, is simply made up.

The stuff about refs here not penalising wild challenges or those from behind with red cards, is simply made up.
Yes, but it's something that people will lap up without actually being able/willing to research.

7 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Kevin being a bit of a dick here , probably on the instructions of an editor , who has asked him to write a controversial piece between the nations league matches .

An Observer columnist writing for the Guardian in a look at me moment imo 

It won't be on the instruction of anyone - he's capable of being a delusional paranoid buffoon of his own volition.

Kevin McKenna is an absolute clown.  Every column he writes reads like it was cobbled together on the back of a fag packet in a taxi on the way home from a night out.  You'd be better off randomly arranging words from a variety of languages than reading anything he writes.  

10 hours ago, accies1874 said:
11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but it's something that people will lap up without actually being able/willing to research.

Indeed.

It's basically the equivalent of a Keith Jackson article written for an OF audience just written for an English audience who periodically like to look down on Scottish football for no apparent reason.

19 hours ago, Stu said:

Reads like it was written in the aftermath of his team getting a draw at Livi TBH.

The central theme of it is - like lots of columns - a complete straw-man argument. The idea that Scottish Football is still living in the 80's - where a leg breaker was greeted with a stern telling off from the referee and dire threats of a yellow card if you did 3 more - is pretty risible really. The idea that you don't get massively dirty fouls in South American football, or in Italy or Spain is a pretty bizarre point of view too - as is the idea that the midfield assasin/hatchetman is a thing in Scottish football anymore.

I'm not exactly a cheerleader for artificial pitches - but again, his suggestion that they are a sign of the backward nature of Scottish Football is another mile-oot piece of sophistry. Firstly, his comparison with hybrid pitches, without the mention of the expense of them, reads like typical OF supporter arrogance and completely ignores the financial realities involved. Secondly, artificial pitches are used in plenty of other northern/eastern european leagues where weather is shit and daylight is in short supply during the season - and given that these leagues are by (his own) definition  more progressive than Scotland, his argument makes no sense at all.

I've always found McKenna's views to be pretty elastic depending on who he is writing for (apart from the subjects of Celtic (great) and religiously separate schools (fantastic)) - so I wasn't totally shocked to immediately find a polar opposite view from last year in the same publication under the headline "The English Can Stop Sneering at Scottish Football" :rolleyes:

In Scotland, where the champion club makes a mere £2.8m for its endeavours, the game, for all its faults, is in a happy place. Attendances have increased; debt has been cut and in the past eight years nine clubs outside of Celtic and Rangers have won a national cup competition. In Scotland, real football is thriving. In England, the game is eating itself.

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Reads like it was written in the aftermath of his team getting a draw at Livi TBH.

The central theme of it is - like lots of columns - a complete straw-man argument. The idea that Scottish Football is still living in the 80's - where a leg breaker was greeted with a stern telling off from the referee and dire threats of a yellow card if you did 3 more - is pretty risible really. The idea that you don't get massively dirty fouls in South American football, or in Italy or Spain is a pretty bizarre point of view too - as is the idea that the midfield assasin/hatchetman is a thing in Scottish football anymore.

I'm not exactly a cheerleader for artificial pitches - but again, his suggestion that they are a sign of the backward nature of Scottish Football is another mile-oot piece of sophistry. Firstly, his comparison with hybrid pitches, without the mention of the expense of them, reads like typical OF supporter arrogance and completely ignores the financial realities involved. Secondly, artificial pitches are used in plenty of other northern/eastern european leagues where weather is shit and daylight is in short supply during the season - and given that these leagues are by (his own) definition  more progressive than Scotland, his argument makes no sense at all.

I've always found McKenna's views to be pretty elastic depending on who he is writing for (apart from the subjects of Celtic (great) and religiously separate schools (fantastic)) - so I wasn't totally shocked to immediately find a polar opposite view from last year in the same publication under the headline "The English Can Stop Sneering at Scottish Football" :rolleyes:

:lol: What a roaster

33 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's been a while since he had a dig at private schools too, so expect that soon.

It's almost as if he hasn't got over failing the entrance exam to the one where his uncle was headmaster.