The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

"Any attempt to finish the season with a significant amount of games still to play, impacts upon the integrity of sport in Scotland."

A journalist repeated this gem without comment. As usual no prizes for guessing the club holding this completely unironic view.

There are two !

• 2 weeks later...
The BBC's Old Firm Sportscene Football Classics features Celtic v St Johnstone this weekend, naturally accompanying it with a picture of a Rangers v Celtic game.
1447589674_ScreenShot2020-04-21at15_48_50.png.735454a7a4f725e9b3c9681e134af0ab.png
Wasn't that Celtic v St Johnstone game a fairly regulation 2-0 win or something at Parkhead? It was hardly a classic. Now the week before when they could have won the title at East End Park but blew it by conceding a late equaliser wasn't either but at least it was hilarious.

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Wasn't that Celtic v St Johnstone game a fairly regulation 2-0 win or something at Parkhead? It was hardly a classic. Now the week before when they could have won the title at East End Park but blew it by conceding a late equaliser wasn't either but at least it was hilarious.

Yes it was routine. The BBC aren't picking the best matches. They're balancing the paranoias of Rangers and Celtic fans. Would be great if classic matches were actually chosen by the fans.

7 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yes it was routine. The BBC aren't picking the best matches. They're balancing the paranoias of Rangers and Celtic fans. Would be great if classic matches were actually chosen by the fans.

There was one a week or two ago that was headlined as 'Larssons final match'.

Turned out it was a 2-1 home win against Dundee United after the title was already won. Who in the f**k cares other than your 'Larsson cures depression' type idiot Celtic fan.

'Classic' matches are usually the ones that fans of every club enjoy other than the losing side.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I think that Celtic winning the league to end Rangers' 9 in a row is a big enough moment in Scottish football history to be considered a classic match. The Henrik Larsson one, less so.

Really? I don't. A classic moment in their history and that sad pathetic rivalry, but not in any way a classic match.

Really? I don't. A classic moment in their history and that sad pathetic rivalry, but not in any way a classic match.
Exactly. The 1990 World Cup Final was awful, but it was the World Cup Final. It's not a classic game by any stretch even though it was obviously a massive game at the end of a tournament that is remembered fondly (even though the tournament itself had a very low number of goals scored and a fair few awful matches). West Brom drawing 5 all with Man Utd on the other hand meant nothing in the grand scheme of things but was great fun to watch. Which one of those who games would you describe as a "classic" and want to watch a replay of?

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It was a moment which marked the end of one significant era of Scottish football and the start of another. Just like lots of cup finals are considered "classic matches" because of what they meant to the teams involved, not because of how good they were as a game.

You could just as easily make the same argument about that game where Man Utd beat Sheffield Wednesday at Old Trafford with a Steve Bruce double to basically seal their first Premier League title. It's considered a classic because marked the end of their long title drought and the start of an era of dominance, but in reality it was a routine home win over a mid-table team.

If they were chosen by the fans then we'd probably get similar results.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was a moment which marked the end of one significant era of Scottish football and the start of another. Just like lots of cup finals are considered "classic matches" because of what they meant to the teams involved, not because of how good they were as a game.

You could just as easily make the same argument about that game where Man Utd beat Sheffield Wednesday at Old Trafford with a Steve Bruce double to basically seal their first Premier League title. It's considered a classic because marked the end of their long title drought and the start of an era of dominance, but in reality it was a routine home win over a mid-table team.

Classic moment perhaps (although I'd still argue that) but definitely not a classic match.

It didn't end or start another era incidentally. Rangers (and now Sevco since Rangers died) and Celtic are utterly interchangeable to most people who aren't fans of them, at least when it comes to which of them wins the league. Celtic winning it was just a continuation of that same era of those two same clubs winning the league.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Classic moment perhaps (although I'd still argue that) but definitely not a classic match.

It didn't end or start another era incidentally. Rangers (and now Sevco since Rangers died) and Celtic are utterly interchangeable to most people who aren't fans of them, at least when it comes to which of them wins the league. Celtic winning it was just a continuation of that same era of those two same clubs winning the league.

Just because it's not significant to you doesn't mean it's not significant to Scottish football as a whole.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Just because it's not significant to you doesn't mean it's not significant to Scottish football as a whole.

What was the significance to Scottish football? It was one of the duopoly yet again winning the league. So absolutely no change and, more importantly, no difference to the rest of Scottish football.

I already explained the significance in my previous post.  The BBC aren't scheduling it to suit you specifically, so the fact that you don't care whether Rangers or Celtic won a league doesn't mean that nobody in the country does.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I already explained the significance in my previous post.  The BBC aren't scheduling it to suit you specifically, so the fact that you don't care whether Rangers or Celtic won a league doesn't mean that nobody in the country does.

And I've explained why it isn't significant unless you support one of two clubs.

I never said the BBC are scheduling things for me specifically. I know exactly what market they're playing to.

If anyone outwith either of the two sides cares about one side of a duopoly winning the league, then they're a bit of a sycophantic melt.

We went into that game in a race with Kilmarnock for Europe, Saints took a big support that day and the money that was being offered outside the ground for tickets was mental. Even after the game we were offered money for our ticket stubs.

The majority of the Saints fans stayed for the trophy presentation. That certainly would not be the case now. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

There was one a week or two ago that was headlined as 'Larssons final match'.

Turned out it was a 2-1 home win against Dundee United after the title was already won. Who in the f**k cares other than your 'Larsson cures depression' type idiot Celtic fan.

'Classic' matches are usually the ones that fans of every club enjoy other than the losing side.

Exactly, like the QoS and Aberdeen semi final they showed last weekend. It was a classic.