The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 19/03/2022 at 00:17, Charles Stiles said:

I'll go with Ya Beezer having turned the game off at 90+2 so thinking it ended 1-1 not realising Red Star scored the winner seconds later.

55 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

It's costing me sleep.

My guess is @Ya Bezzer! not realising that Red Star Belgrade = Crvena zvezda

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's the countries, not the players surely?

Those international football giants, Wales, Scotland and Poland? 🤣

Defoe starting his career at 22 would explain his longevity...

Screenshot_20220324-122510_Facebook.thumb.jpg.0cbe5ce247c26bea5d7f69f77e7bd051.jpg

This isn't bad journalism as such but I don't really know where to post this, so here will do...

Over the last week or two, the leading story on the BBC Scottish Football section, has been..

1) Warburton .. talks about Rangers
2) Ferguson .. talks about things, including Rangers
3) Murty .. talks about Rangers

For a company that is officially banned from reporting on games at Ibrox, it seems a somewhat "simp-ish" relationship they have with them.

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

This isn't bad journalism as such but I don't really know where to post this, so here will do...

Over the last week or two, the leading story on the BBC Scottish Football section, has been..

For a company that is officially banned from reporting on games at Ibrox, it seems a somewhat "simp-ish" relationship they have with them.

Been saying this for years, they’re playing at this “situation” as they refer to it. If they really wanted to make a stand they would completely ignore Rangers and not report on them. Of course they won’t do that. 

I remember years ago when Rangers tried to make a buck by banning press photographers from the games and issuing their own photos to be paid for and used. The tabloids got together and printed match reports with blank spaces where the pictures would be. It lasted for one game. 

the BBC has no balls. 

9 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Been saying this for years, they’re playing at this “situation” as they refer to it. If they really wanted to make a stand they would completely ignore Rangers and not report on them. Of course they won’t do that. 

I'm not sure it can be as simple for the BBC as just ignoring Rangers completely, but they could certainly be less simpering.

This is the same BBC that essentially gives Packie Bonner a free Celtic home and away season ticket, so I wouldn't expect too much anyway.

31 minutes ago, Ric said:

Just for some clarity, the BBC isn't banned from Ibrox, Chris McLaughlin is. As a result, the BBC boycott Ibrox.

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

I'm not sure it can be as simple for the BBC as just ignoring Rangers completely, but they could certainly be less simpering.

This is the same BBC that essentially gives Packie Bonner a free Celtic home and away season ticket, so I wouldn't expect too much anyway.

I get that. I agree. I think they should report on away matches as normal but for matches at Ibrox just give the score and scorers and be done. This reading out what the manager says to Sky Sports etc is just pandering. 

They should certainly stop all this pandering shite with tenuous stories and features on people like Murty etc as @Ric mentioned. 

Edited by Rugster

Just now, AJF said:

Just for some clarity, the BBC isn't banned from Ibrox.

Wrong.

The BBC is banned, because Rangers will not allow it's assigned staff enter the premises.

Rangers do not get to choose who works for the BBC in the same way the BBC doesn't get to choose who gets picked to play for Rangers.

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

That's probably the main point here.

I honestly don't care if the BBC report or not on Rangers' games. It's irrelevant to me, even when we (St Mirren) play them.

I also understand that they will try and act like the adult in the room, and report on stuff irrespective of Rangers' opinion.

However it seems like they are willing to promote the club far more than they really should considering the context.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Wrong.

The BBC is banned, because Rangers will not allow it's assigned staff enter the premises.

Rangers do not get to choose who works for the BBC in the same way the BBC doesn't get to choose who gets picked to play for Rangers.

I see the point you’re trying to make but it It isn’t technically wrong. 

If the bbc sent someone in McLaughlins place then they wouldn’t be turned away. If it was a ban on bbc then they would. That’s all he means in simple terms. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I see the point you’re trying to make but it It isn’t technically wrong. 

If the bbc sent someone in McLaughlins place then they wouldn’t be turned away. If it was a ban on bbc then they would. That’s all he means in simple terms. 

It's not technically wrong at all. The BBC, as an institution, has been refused access by their employee, that is a ban, there is no middle ground here.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

It's not technically wrong at all. The BBC, as an institution, has been refused access by their employee, that is a ban, there is no middle ground here.

That’s a position the bbc are taking and fair play, as a matter of principle it’s correct.

But as a point of fact, the bbc have/had a choice here. 

The thing I find so bizarre about it is that they're not funded through commercial means, meaning that they don't need to provide Rangers coverage to generate money.

Whilst I don't think it would be a good idea, they could just completely ignore Rangers and get away with it. There is a public interest target that has to be looked towards I would imagine, and there is some virtue to turning the other cheek, but the coverage does at times feel very, for lack of a better phrase, 'simp-ish'.