The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I genuinely think this is harsh on Bonner.

:lol: Congratulations on being the first person in the history of the universe to ever put those exact words, in to that exact order. 

If an asteroid the size of the moon was to come through our atmosphere and cream Bonner squarely on the temple, I still don’t think I would be able to utter those words. 

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

:lol: Congratulations on being the first person in the history of the universe to ever put those exact words, in to that exact order. 

If an asteroid the size of the moon was to come through our atmosphere and cream Bonner squarely on the temple, I still don’t think I would be able to utter those words. 

It is absolutely a comment on the standard of Jane Lewis as a broadcaster, rather than an endorsement of Mr Bonner.

12 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It is absolutely a comment on the standard of Jane Lewis as a broadcaster, rather than an endorsement of Mr Bonner.

No, I understood that. It’s not an endorsement for anyone. It was a genuine reaction to reading the words ‘harsh on Bonner’, which will never be said again. (Unless it’s in comparison to Jane Lewis). 

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

The way he used to pronounce Simunovic sounds like a wizard spell, right enough.

Ditto 'Rojjik'.

That’s surprising that he couldn’t pronounce a Celtic players name correctly, he could tell you what the Celtic Under 13s left back had for lunch 6 weeks ago. 

On 19/02/2022 at 13:38, Nowhereman said:

You say you might see Cove in the Championship as if it’s a good thing. Cove will bring absolutely nothing to the Championship

Why wouldn't it be a good thing? Football is a sporting contest. They were the best team in the non-league in 2018/19 and therefore were rightly promoted into the SPFL, then they were the best team in League 2 in 2019/20 and were deservedly promoted, and if they're the best team in League 1 in 2021/22 then they'll be deservedly promoted again. The SFL didn't want that, they were content with teams bungling on in the bottom tier with zero incentive to improve themselves. I don't think it's inconceivable that the introduction of the pyramid could have been one of the things which led to the recent resurgence at a club like Montrose either, or maybe even Arbroath - perhaps getting a wee boot up the backside helped them turn things around.

Even in terms of off the field stuff, why would they be any less of an asset to the Championship than Alloa or Dumbarton were? Cove have a similar average attendance to both clubs and their stadium is not vastly different aside from being a bit more of a ballache to get to.

52 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" read by Kris Boyd.

If his mattress advert is anything to go by he'll sound like a p3 pupil just getting to grips with reading entire sentences. 

Why wouldn't it be a good thing? Football is a sporting contest. They were the best team in the non-league in 2018/19 and therefore were rightly promoted into the SPFL, then they were the best team in League 2 in 2019/20 and were deservedly promoted, and if they're the best team in League 1 in 2021/22 then they'll be deservedly promoted again. The SFL didn't want that, they were content with teams bungling on in the bottom tier with zero incentive to improve themselves. I don't think it's inconceivable that the introduction of the pyramid could have been one of the things which led to the recent resurgence at a club like Montrose either, or maybe even Arbroath - perhaps getting a wee boot up the backside helped them turn things around.
Even in terms of off the field stuff, why would they be any less of an asset to the Championship than Alloa or Dumbarton were? Cove have a similar average attendance to both clubs and their stadium is not vastly different aside from being a bit more of a ballache to get to.

I’m all for the pyramid and agree that it could give existing spfl clubs a boot up the backside. I’m not so keen on clubs being financially doped a la Gretna

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I doubt he'd notice.