The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How so?

Please list all the tangible bits of damage that this does.

Tangible damage? Well obviously every time someone gets it wrong a foal gets shot in the face.

But if you don't see why it's harmful for the brand if everyone gets the name wrong then I'm not sure what I can tell you. Would Pepsi be concerned if everyone called it coke? Probably I'd say.

And if the brand doesn't matter to you then that's fine, Scottish football is incredibly successful regardless, but we could easily correct a mistake that is made almost every time our league is referred to outside of Scotland. And SPL is just objectively a better name too so there's that.

The fact it wasn't around for that long, but still stuck anyway and lingers to this day, tells you it struck a memorable chord.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

Are you a journalist as I feel that's the issue here, people who should know better, and are employed to present factual content, showing a lack of professionalism. It's the same for the idiots in the media who just shrug their shoulders and say "I don't have a clue how the Nations League works". That's fine if you are a punter, but as a pundit your job is to specifically know how it works before you start ruminating on the subject.

This was precisely my issue with Ewan Murray saying it. Not remotely arsed if some Talksport caller gets it wrong, and the SPL does roll off the tongue a bit easier, but you'd expect someone who is paid to report on Scottish football and who is the sole Scottish football correspondent on the biggest football podcast in the UK to get it right. It wound me up more with Murray as it's just the latest in a long line of examples that show he doesn't know any more about Scottish football than someone you could pluck out of any pub in Scotland, and even at times shares the same contemptuous, half arsed attitude towards it as some of his colleagues down south. 

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Tangible damage? Well obviously every time someone gets it wrong a foal gets shot in the face.

But if you don't see why it's harmful for the brand if everyone gets the name wrong then I'm not sure what I can tell you. Would Pepsi be concerned if everyone called it coke? Probably I'd say.

And if the brand doesn't matter to you then that's fine, Scottish football is incredibly successful regardless, but we could easily correct a mistake that is made almost every time our league is referred to outside of Scotland. And SPL is just objectively a better name too so there's that.

The fact it wasn't around for that long, but still stuck anyway and lingers to this day, tells you it struck a memorable chord.

So literally nothing tangible at all then.  Absolutely nothing.

Football competitions should not be seen primarily as brands, given that they predate the very concept by decades. 

Where do you get "objectively" from anyway?  Where's your evidence for that?  For me, it is very much a worse name given how tarnished it is.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Why stop at the SPL? Why not call it the Premier League? Or the Premier Division? Or Division One?

If we apply the same philosophy some people do with division sizes then A Division, B Division, C Division (and presumably D Division) will bring back the glory days.

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The concept of branding began way before football.

I daresay you can claim branding of this type existed in ancient times, if so inclined.

It really took hold as a practice in the 20th century though.  Indeed, I'm told that the first such use of the term occurred in 1913.

Our football leagues got by without it for a long time.

I daresay you can claim branding of this type existed in ancient times, if so inclined.
It really took hold as a practice in the 20th century though.  Indeed, I'm told that the first such use of the term occurred in 1913.
Our football leagues got by without it for a long time.
Regardless, nobody's saying the competition should primarily be seen as a brand, just that branding is important and things would be better if we did it well.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Football competitions should not be seen primarily as brands, given that they predate the very concept by decades. 

You sound like someone living in the 1890’s seething that the game went professional 

Branding has been a part of football for a very long time.

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Why stop at the SPL? Why not call it the Premier League? Or the Premier Division? Or Division One?

I believe it's because a lot of the people that call the league it think it stands for Scottish Premier League.