The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

That's some weird historical thing, I'm sure it happened at least once to Celtic in a European tie.

Can anyone shed more light on this? I'm trying to think why it would be a thing when 4-3 is enough to determine the outcome of the match.

@HibeeJibee?

Edited by The Master

Just now, The Master said:

Can anyone shed more light on this? I'm trying to think why it would be a thing when 4-3 is enough to determine the outcome of the match.

@HibeeJibee?

If the team taking the first penalty scores all their penalties it makes 5. The second team to take penalties score 3 of their first 4 penalties,  making their penalty number 5 pointless. 

It's actually quite common.

3 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

If the team taking the first penalty scores all their penalties it makes 5. The second team to take penalties score 3 of their first 4 penalties,  making their penalty number 5 pointless. 

It's actually quite common.

Yes, but the point here is why would it go down as a 5-3 Hearts win when 4-3 was enough, and is what actually happened?  

I'm struggling to understand why the "official" score would assume Hearts scored their last penalty (which was never taken, and didn't need to be taken). 

Yes, but the point here is why would it go down as a 5-3 Hearts win when 4-3 was enough, and is what actually happened?  
I'm struggling to understand why the "official" score would assume Hearts scored their last penalty (which was never taken, and didn't need to be taken). 

And was probably due to be taken by Liam Boyce

Every time Ewan Murray is on Football Weekly as their Scottish football correspondent (absolute lol) he repeatedly gets fairly basic factual things wrong and shows that he isn't very clued up at all. The most recent one i can think of is him being on to discuss the ticket situation after our game against Rangers and showing that he really didn't have any understanding of it. He also referred to the league as 'the SPL' the other day which is absolute bare minimum stuff from someone meant to be an authority on the subject.  

2 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Every time Ewan Murray is on Football Weekly as their Scottish football correspondent (absolute lol) he repeatedly gets fairly basic factual things wrong and shows that he isn't very clued up at all. The most recent one i can think of is him being on to discuss the ticket situation after our game against Rangers and showing that he really didn't have any understanding of it. He also referred to the league as 'the SPL' the other day which is absolute bare minimum stuff from someone meant to be an authority on the subject.  

Courtesy of the BBC.

spl.jpg

Edited by stu92

8 hours ago, The Master said:

@HibeeJibee?

I've never heard of this. You win a shootout by whatever the score is when it finishes.

EDIT: Wonder if he confused a practice - no longer observed and perhaps related to computer systems - of showing (say) a 2-2 draw settled on penalties as having finished "3-2".

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

All that does is remind me how ridiculous and unnecessary the rebranding to the leagues was 

As we know, he SPL merged with the SFL, and so they both became the SPFL.

The issue therefore wasn't necessarily the renaming of the leagues (save for the SPL, which did need to have a different name) but the shite, lazy names they decided upon. Worse is that they are nonsensical. In England the EPL is still distinct from the EFL, so it make some sense in what their leagues are called (the top EFL league being the Championship for example, but since the top four leagues up here are all under the same organisation (SPFL), the names don't make sense and just are just, as stated, lazy, shite and nonsensical.

Premiership and Leagues 1-3 would have been fine for up here. 

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

The copying English branding wasn't just an SPFL things. The west region juniors in their last couple of seasons used the Premiership, Championship etc branding.

Before those it was SuperPremier and SuperFirst.

That said... shortly before its demise the bottom levels of the East Juniors were actually called 'Premier Leagues' 🤔, sat below Superleagues.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The issue therefore wasn't necessarily the renaming of the leagues (save for the SPL, which did need to have a different name) but the shite, lazy names they decided upon. Worse is that they are nonsensical. In England the EPL is still distinct from the EFL, so it make some sense in what their leagues are called (the top EFL league being the Championship for example, but since the top four leagues up here are all under the same organisation (SPFL), the names don't make sense and just are just, as stated, lazy, shite and nonsensical.

I'd go even further and just call them First, Second, Third and Fourth divisions.

I know Scotland was first to use the Premier term in 1975, but it is tainted by association with The Barclays these days.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed, they should change the 'Premiership' back to the SPL as nobody outside of Scotland will ever get it right.

As well as a decent chunk of those in Scotland.

Think Accenture might now have competition for the worlds worst ever rebranding excercise. 

Each time someone gets it wrong the brand gets a bit weaker.

The Championship, League One, League Two is definitely a bit cringeworthy but it's in place now so no need to tinker further with it. 

On 03/02/2022 at 13:35, Clown Job said:

Fucking hate Graham Spiers. Though you have to hand it to anyone who can pipe up on the topic of a seedy little violent rapist, and still stand out as the biggest arsehole.

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Agreed, they should change the 'Premiership' back to the SPL as nobody outside of Scotland will ever get it right.

As well as a decent chunk of those in Scotland.

Think Accenture might now have competition for the worlds worst ever rebranding excercise. 

Each time someone gets it wrong the brand gets a bit weaker.

The Championship, League One, League Two is definitely a bit cringeworthy but it's in place now so no need to tinker further with it. 

Nah, they shouldn't, as the SPL no longer exists as an organisation. Those top lazy/stupid to get a simple name right shouldn't be pandered to.