The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

32 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Most people's minds seem to cope perfectly fine with it. People don't need to conform to it, but by not doing so they come across as either petty or idiotic. However, those whose job it is to report news should be conforming to it.

Not sure what you've got against suits or small people.

🤣.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

This is getting into a boring technical discussion, but even if the entity is named SPFL there is nothing stopping it referring to the top league as SPL. 

And the leagues below as SPFL League One (or SPL league one).

Or whatever the f**k it wants really.

The experiment of calling it the SPFL has been a failure and means almost everyone gets the league name wrong. It could be easily fixed, they should do it.

Or you could re-name the entity. The options are almost limtless. 

Only utter morons cannot cope with the names as they currently exist.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Getting all snobby and technical about league nomenclature may be rewarding for some, but it ignores some basic truths.

SPL slips off the tongue easily, is memorable and when people say "SPL" they're describing the top league in Scotland. We know it isn't a separate entity anymore, but SPFL Premiership doesn't stick as easily in the mind. 

The constant "deadnaming" (if I may) of the top tier is due to Scottish football fans having taken ownership of the previous name as meaning the top tier (divorced from the politics of its genesis) and of the new name being both clumsy and having a less powerful relationship to the top tier as the more snappy "SPL". 

But SPL isn't just a name.

It's an entity - a thankfully now dead, hideous entity. 

It was conceived to pull up a drawbridge.  Nobody should fail to understand that it's gone.  The fact that it is should be recognised in language.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I agree it can seem that way, but if people have cemented an association in their heads, it's hard to dislodge. It's just how the mind works. 

Just because some wee w**k in a suit decided that the name should change doesn't mean we all need to conform to that. If most fans still refer to it as the SPL then that's it's name.

But it only ever became the SPL thanks to the absolute ultimate in wee wanks in suits.

People on here get on as if the SPL name was long established.  I hate to break it to them that it's been gone for two thirds as long as it ever existed.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

But it only ever became the SPL thanks to the absolute ultimate in wee wanks in suits.

People on here get on as if the SPL name was long established.  I hate to break it to them that it's been gone for two thirds as long as it ever existed.

I get that. My initial point is that the meaning you attach to the SPL was a separate entity that is now, as you say, deid. For the people who still refer to it as that, it's just the top tier in Scotland. 

Honestly, I still refer to it as the SPL because it's easier and folk know that I mean the top tier. Language should be efficient.

Anyone seeking to correct me will be seen as consenting to Ruel St based fisticuffs 

Just now, velo army said:

I get that. My initial point is that the meaning you attach to the SPL was a separate entity that is now, as you say, deid. For the people who still refer to it as that, it's just the top tier in Scotland. 

Honestly, I still refer to it as the SPL because it's easier and folk know that I mean the top tier. Language should be efficient.

Anyone seeking to correct me will be seen as consenting to Ruel St based fisticuffs 

Even this absolute coward would be up for that.

I can think of no hill worthier of dying on than one about despicable people still calling Scotland's top flight the SPL.

8 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

On the topic of league names etc I find the ordering of the "Football Scores" drop down on the BBC Sport page to be incredibly annoying. I can't see any reasoning or logic to they way they have ordered it.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 165748.jpg

It's ever-changing, I think based on when fixtures in each competition were originally scheduled.

But don't quote me on that. 

It's not efficient though as it can create ambiguity, and SPL is hardly easier than Premiership.

Be a while until I'm next in Glasgow I'm afraid, though our bout could be the undercard for the Ukraine match?

9 minutes ago, velo army said:

Honestly, I still refer to it as the SPL..

Are you a journalist as I feel that's the issue here, people who should know better, and are employed to present factual content, showing a lack of professionalism. It's the same for the idiots in the media who just shrug their shoulders and say "I don't have a clue how the Nations League works". That's fine if you are a punter, but as a pundit your job is to specifically know how it works before you start ruminating on the subject.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's not efficient though as it can create ambiguity, and SPL is hardly easier than Premiership.

Be a while until I'm next in Glasgow I'm afraid, though our bout could be the undercard for the Ukraine match?

No messing with my luscious long hair and you're on.

Nice excuse to stay out the pub too. 

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

SFL was better than SPFL 

SPL for branding purposes was very good, 

43 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

On the topic of league names etc I find the ordering of the "Football Scores" drop down on the BBC Sport page to be incredibly annoying. I can't see any reasoning or logic to they way they have ordered it.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 165748.jpg

Pretty sure The Master is right and that this changes based on which fixtures are happening at a given time. That said, on a normal league weekend it's something like English Prem, English Championship, Scottish Prem, English League One, League Two, Women, Scottish League One & Two

It annoys me that the BBC decided to rank the English/Scottish leagues by how important they've decided they are.

I'd be less annoyed if they just listed all the English results/tables, then followed them with the Scottish ones. Is that not what they used to do back in the old days?