The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So literally nothing tangible at all then.  Absolutely nothing.

Football competitions should not be seen primarily as brands, given that they predate the very concept by decades. 

Where do you get "objectively" from anyway?  Where's your evidence for that?  For me, it is very much a worse name given how tarnished it is.

Well, only if you believe the very concept of branding itself isn't tangible - even though branding assets are valued at billions of dollars (and clearly contribute to revenue in many companies and sectors).

But it's clear you're dogmatic here and won't change your mind so fine. 

For me it's clearly an issue that many people use the old name, which I think is better anyway, and I would prefer to change it back. The SPL seperatist group I'm forming will be mostly non violent.

Another branding issue that twists my knickers is the interchangeable use of England and the UK, something that even intelligent people do and isn't challenged (see Garry Kasparov in the recent BBC Nazis documentary). Stupid - and easily corrected.

58 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Another branding issue that twists my knickers is the interchangeable use of England and the UK, something that even intelligent people do and isn't challenged (see Garry Kasparov in the recent BBC Nazis documentary). Stupid - and easily corrected.

When it’s someone English doing something bad abroad they’re a Brit 

But if they’re from elsewhere in the UK, they’re a Scot/Welsh, N.Irish 

34 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

SPL was a far better name. It also wasn’t servile English pish.

Still is to a certain extent as it has Scottish in the name.

MLS isn't the "American Premier League".

If there isn't something in Scots we can use (not Gaelic) then ideally you would have a unique name that rolls off the tougue and easily distinguishes the league.

But in lieu of that I'm perfectly happy with SPL which is simple, easily understood and delivers what it promises.

22 hours ago, Satoshi said:

For me it's clearly an issue that many people use the old name, which I think is better anyway, and I would prefer to change it back. The SPL seperatist group I'm forming will be mostly non violent.

Well that's excellent news because my SPFL unionist group will resort to any means necessary.  

Your closing paragraph is telling and leaves me even more puzzled.  People calling the UK England is maddening, because despite the overlap, they are different things.

So it is with Scotland's top flight.  As I've already said, SPL was not just a brand name.  It was an entity.  It was introduced to protect certain clubs from football penalties.  That's what 1 up; 1 down, and stupid ground criteria were about.  Roger Mitchell stood at the helm for Christ's sake.  Roger Mitchell!

The change in 2013 was not therefore merely about branding as some see it.  It was bigger than that. Seeing as you mentioned Nazis yourself, I'll go there too with some Godwin evoking hyperbole:

Wanting a return to calling it the SPL would be like a modern German wondering if they should call their state the Third Reich again, because people got it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well that's excellent news because my SPFL unionist group will resort to any means necessary.  

Your closing paragraph is telling and leaves me even more puzzled.  People calling the UK England is maddening, because despite the overlap, they are different things.

So it is with Scotland's top flight.  As I've already said, SPL was not just a brand name.  It was an entity.  It was introduced to protect certain clubs from football penalties.  That's what 1 up; 1 down, and stupid ground criteria were about.  Roger Mitchell stood at the helm for Christ's sake.  Roger Mitchell!

The change in 2013 was not therefore merely oabout branding as some see it.  It was bigger than that. Seeing as you mentioned Nazis yourself, I'll go there too with some Godwin evoking hyperbole:

Wanting a return to calling it the SPL would be like a modern German wondering if they should call their state the Third Reich again, because people got it.

We could just name the leagues the 1st, 2nd reich etc…coincidentally Clyde are in the third tier. 

During my travels I've actually found that the English are the worst offenders. I can forgive some random Turk or Tajik not knowing the difference, but it boils my piss when English people refer to the UK as England, especially when they follow my correction with "you know what I mean though".

@monkeytennis is spot on. You can dress up criticism anyway you want to defend using it but calling it the SPL is simply wrong. There is a heck of a lot more to a brand/branding than just a name and the SPL was something that was formed, lived then died. It didn't develop into the SPFL. That was the new replacement for both the SPL and SFL. 

3 letters is a trend doubtlessly influenced by the NFL given most other things are now. It's probably why our neighbours dared to finally incorporate English into their name and became the EFL. Wouldn't be surprised if the arrogance of THE Premier League gives way and becomes the EPL at some point. That's being used more and more unofficially as it is. SPL would've been ideal but it's gone unless it can be resurrected to replace Scottish Premiership with newer appropriate words. Not for the marketing purist but I doubt many others would notice or even care.

Personally, I'd love a unique Scottish name and it doesn't need to include Scotland/Scottish. Other countries of varying sizes manage it. 'The something' would have a better ring to it but given Hampden's penchant for unoriginality and copying England it'll never happen. Being seen as a downmarket clone of England is apparently more important and supposedly financially better than building a strong, uniquely Scottish identity. 

Anyway, yes, anyone in the media calling it the SPL is indeed lazy, terrible journalism. 

4 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

@monkeytennis is spot on. You can dress up criticism anyway you want to defend using it but calling it the SPL is simply wrong. There is a heck of a lot more to a brand/branding than just a name and the SPL was something that was formed, lived then died. It didn't develop into the SPFL. That was the new replacement for both the SPL and SFL. 

That's wrong.  The SPFL is simply the renamed SPL:

preml.thumb.png.5cd29abaef7f15e58f8f16a0834f22e8.png

30 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Calling the top division of the Scottish Professional Football League the Scottish Premier League instead of Scottish Premiership would make no sense.

You'd have to call it Scottish Premier Division (SPD) or Scottish Superleague (SS) or similar.

That has a ring to it...

Hmmm, OK, but technicalities are obviously irrelevant where the SPL is concerned though!

I'd forgotten the SFL's Jim Ballantyne called it a take over rather a merger at the time.  Good to see again that '...while Third Division champions Rangers did not get a say as they remain associate members having joined last summer.'

Anyway, the Self Preservation League is currently no more.

I suppose it's got lots to do with when people came of age, as it were.  

If by the time you were properly interested and aware of things, the top flight was already called the SPL, it might feel like less of a flimsy, temporary vehicle for chancers than it does to those of us around for a good while beforehand.

I also suspect that the change in 2013 felt more cosmetic for supporters of established top tier sides.  For some of us though, the four divisions coming back under the same umbrella, felt like a big deal.

I don't sense on here the visceral loathing of the SPL (the institution, not the name) that is entirely appropriate - in fact, essential.