The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

The other good thing to come of the merger was the disappearance of those running the SFL as though it was a village bowling club. The ongoing closed shop at the bottom and the complete inability to secure any sort income for their clubs left the lower leagues stale at the bottom and financially precarious at the top.

Killie going down last year was a blow, but if it had happened under the old set-up it would have potentially ruined the club financially. Even the SFL champions only got something like £60k pre-merger, this season it'll be something like 10 times that.

Then at the other end they've at least slightly opened up at the bottom and now you might see Cove in the Championship next season. Under the old set-up they'd still be rumbling around in the Highland League.

3 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

Hmmm, OK, but technicalities are obviously irrelevant where the SPL is concerned though!

I'd forgotten the SFL's Jim Ballantyne called it a take over rather a merger at the time.  Good to see again that '...while Third Division champions Rangers did not get a say as they remain associate members having joined last summer.'

That's because the spivs, charlatans and chancers of the SPL bullied and threatened the second-oldest league in world football out of existence so they could get access to Rangers' media rights.  Football in Scotland has been run on their behalf ever since.

The thoroughly decent David Longmuir's parting words were, “We trust the custodians of the new body will continue to work in an open, trustworthy and professional manner for the good of our national game."

Sadly, his words have been traduced.

49 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That's because the spivs, charlatans and chancers of the SPL bullied and threatened the second-oldest league in world football out of existence so they could get access to Rangers' media rights.  Football in Scotland has been run on their behalf ever since.

And yet not once had you ever objected to the hideous damage done to the SFL, that second oldest league in world football, by the very creation of the SPL in the first place.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The thoroughly decent David Longmuir's parting words were, “We trust the custodians of the new body will continue to work in an open, trustworthy and professional manner for the good of our national game."  the newly formed club playing out of Ibrox to the damnation of every other law-abiding and tax-paying club in Scotland.

Yours, sincerely,

Regan & Doncaster

FTFY,  you're welcome.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I suppose it's got lots to do with when people came of age, as it were.  

If by the time you were properly interested and aware of things, the top flight was already called the SPL, it might feel like less of a flimsy, temporary vehicle for chancers than it does to those of us around for a good while beforehand.

I also suspect that the change in 2013 felt more cosmetic for supporters of established top tier sides.  For some of us though, the four divisions coming back under the same umbrella, felt like a big deal.

I don't sense on here the visceral loathing of the SPL (the institution, not the name) that is entirely appropriate - in fact, essential.

Don’t agree here.  I started watching football right as the SPL formed,  I knew nothing of the top league being part of the SFL, but it was very obvious it’s not the SPL as soon as the merger happened.  It’s quite funny that so many that still use SPL never use the old names of the other divisions.   When was the last time you heard someone call the championship Division 1?   We do somehow end up in the weird situation where some talk of clubs being relegated from the SPL into the championship. Fucking mentalists.

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The thoroughly decent David Longmuir's parting words were, “We trust the custodians of the new body will continue to work in an open, trustworthy and professional manner for the good of our national game."

😂. I’m far from a fan of Doncaster, but when we were left of a choice who got a pay off and who still had a job I’m glad longmuir was the one outed from our game.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

don't be silly and patronising.  You've searched for it so you post it.

Aye, you're right, it was patronising, if you accept the facts. Not silly though, pertinent to the 'Terrible Journalism' thread.

The government website, without dubiety, shows "THE RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB P.L.C., 27 May 1899 - 31 Jul 2012"  (SC004276), is in the process of 'Liquidation', despite Scottish reporters continually trying to communicate otherwise.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

😂. I’m far from a fan of Doncaster, but when we were left of a choice who got a pay off and who still had a job I’m glad longmuir was the one outed from our game.

We'll have to disagree here.  Longmuir's problem was he was too nice.  Had he stood his ground and not allowed the SPL tail to wag the SFL dog we could have had better administrators.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aye, you're right, it was patronising,

Indeed.  The adults were talking.  No need for your daft wee Sevcopath nonsense that we hear 20x a day.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Longmuir's problem was he was too nice.  Had he stood his ground and not allowed the SPL tail to wag the SFL dog we could have had better administrators.

Too nice, my arse. 

He announced early on, pretty unilaterally, that there were no plans to review whether Rangers got to keep the League Cups they 'won' during the spell when they were fielding lots of improperly registered players.

You had no difficulty with the SPL slicing off the SFL's head in 1998, so spare me the self serving lament over tails wagging dogs later on.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Damned with faint praise!

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

We'll have to disagree here.  Longmuir's problem was he was too nice.  Had he stood his ground and not allowed the SPL tail to wag the SFL dog we could have had better administrators.

Longhair was a lying, multi-faced wee rat bag. He was out-manouvered by bigger lying multi-faced rat bags.

He lost because he and his supporters promised Rangers a place in the Championship, which wasn't  his place to give. He got the rug pulled by the clubs lower down who wanted "the journey" to start lower down and get their share of the blue pound.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Too nice, my arse. 
He announced early on, pretty unilaterally, that there were no plans to review whether Rangers got to keep the League Cups they 'won' during the spell when they were fielding lots of improperly registered players.

So you’re saying he was “too nice” to rangers

I think you may have squared that circle

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aye, you're right, it was patronising, if you accept the facts. Not silly though, pertinent to the 'Terrible Journalism' thread.

The government website, without dubiety, shows "THE RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB P.L.C., 27 May 1899 - 31 Jul 2012"  (SC004276), is in the process of 'Liquidation', despite Scottish reporters continually trying to communicate otherwise.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  The adults were talking.  No need for your daft wee Sevcopath nonsense that we hear 20x a day.

Now that's a better example of silly and patronising.............. I never mentioned Sevco, only you have. My post, on the 'Terrible Journalism' thread, was a reminder that the old Ibrox club is in the process of liquidation, no matter how journalists try to state the contrary. 

The other good thing to come of the merger was the disappearance of those running the SFL as though it was a village bowling club. The ongoing closed shop at the bottom and the complete inability to secure any sort income for their clubs left the lower leagues stale at the bottom and financially precarious at the top.

Killie going down last year was a blow, but if it had happened under the old set-up it would have potentially ruined the club financially. Even the SFL champions only got something like £60k pre-merger, this season it'll be something like 10 times that.

Then at the other end they've at least slightly opened up at the bottom and now you might see Cove in the Championship next season. Under the old set-up they'd still be rumbling around in the Highland League.

You say you might see Cove in the Championship as if it’s a good thing. Cove will bring absolutely nothing to the Championship

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

You say you might see Cove in the Championship as if it’s a good thing. Cove will bring absolutely nothing to the Championship

What does that even mean?  If they win League 1 or the playoffs then they will play in the Championship and they would deserve to be there, like the numerous other teams that have been promoted to or relegated to that division.  What is it specifically that you expect them (or any other club for that matter) to "bring"?