The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

To find a way to get annoyed with sleeve patches is truly impressive 

Well done 

Can you imagine if football had rejected the crazy notion of sleeve patches, and followed the path that Monkey Tennis so desperately yearns for. I’m almost certain we would be playing Champions Leagues finals on the Moon at this point, and the 2022 World Cup wouldnt have been getting held in Qatar. No, that honour would have went to Proxima Centauri B, only a mere 4.25 light years away. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That's 'Hamish French My Lord' to you!

I just went and Googled him as my mind was telling me he had a thick white moustache, but I can’t find any pictures to confirm that. Did he ever have a thick white moustache and look like an extra from a Still Game scene in the Clansman?

21 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I just went and Googled him as my mind was telling me he had a thick white moustache, but I can’t find any pictures to confirm that. Did he ever have a thick white moustache and look like an extra from a Still Game scene in the Clansman?

Haha no, he did not, but his hair was totally white from at least 1991 (when he was 27).

9 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

:lol:  best comparison ever. 

It’s telling that I could have replaced Bonner with a few other pundits and the point would still stand. People have always spoken about the ‘BBC gravy train’, there’s no better example of it than the Scottish football department of Pacific Quay. It genuinely bothers me that these people receive a not insignificant wage in return for their ‘work’, which is paid using public funds. It really should be the final nail in the coffin of the license fee, they would need to be paying us if they want to claim it’s value for money. 

23 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s telling that I could have replaced Bonner with a few other pundits and the point would still stand. People have always spoken about the ‘BBC gravy train’, there’s no better example of it than the Scottish football department of Pacific Quay. It genuinely bothers me that these people receive a not insignificant wage in return for their ‘work’, which is paid using public funds. It really should be the final nail in the coffin of the license fee, they would need to be paying us if they want to claim it’s value for money. 

Bonner kicked about Irish telly and was a coach then somehow got sacked from both and got a job with sportsound.

Mental he is employed for nothing more than he's irish and played for Celtic.    God rest his soul but what I would give to listen to Tommy Burns talking football instead. 

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

Bonner kicked about Irish telly and was a coach then somehow got sacked from both and got a job with sportsound.

Mental he is employed for nothing more than he's irish and played for Celtic.    God rest his soul but what I would give to listen to Tommy Burns talking football instead. 

Agree with the sentiment, but Burns would never have lowered himself to a Sportsound punditry gig with the football knowledge he possessed. 

The thing that annoys me about Bonner especially, is that it’s blindingly obvious he does no research on whatever opponents happen to be playing Celtic, yet week after week is chosen to report on their games. I don’t think he even bothers to have a read over the team sheet he will be handed before the game, unless Celtic regularly play against teams with players called ‘the big boy at the back’ or ‘number 3’. He is quite literally getting paid to watch the football team he supports, with public funds, and no one in a position of authority has questioned it. Is there really nobody in the BBC Scotland production team that pipes up and says ‘hang on a minute, this guy is absolutely hopeless and is completely unable to give any meaningful analysis on this game’. That’s a rhetorical question as it’s obvious there isn’t, but it’s got to come to a head one day. 

13 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Can you imagine if football had rejected the crazy notion of sleeve patches, and followed the path that Monkey Tennis so desperately yearns for. I’m almost certain we would be playing Champions Leagues finals on the Moon at this point, and the 2022 World Cup wouldnt have been getting held in Qatar. No, that honour would have went to Proxima Centauri B, only a mere 4.25 light years away. 

Would have gone to Proxima Centauri B.

Gone to.

11 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

The licence fee is tremendous value for money.

19 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Given that it’s fans that make the game I’d hardly say it’s weird to think that having a team with virtually no fans in your second tier because they are being financially doped is not particularly beneficial

Not that it really matters, but there were 1100 at Balmoral yesterday.  That seems like a decent crowd to me!