The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Yes there is in terms of them using the home dressing room, but that technicality wasn't explained.  More simply, it came across very much as a broadcaster sitting in a stadium 90% full of Celtic fans making a lazy comment.  

Maybe, although Kenny Mc doesnt have a history of talking up Celtic!

Just a general observation - in the Edinburgh Derby the other week, all the journalists 

a) blamed Fish for the 1st goal

b) blamed Sibbick for a slip before his recovery to catch Youann

Both instances it was the player passing it to them who really caused the problem (McKirdy/Devlin respectively). Interestingly, independent podcasts called it correctly. Unlike multiple different individuals from the BBC 🙄

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

Just a general observation - in the Edinburgh Derby the other week, all the journalists 

a) blamed Fish for the 1st goal

b) blamed Sibbick for a slip before his recovery to catch Youann

Both instances it was the player passing it to them who really caused the problem (McKirdy/Devlin respectively). Interestingly, independent podcasts called it correctly. Unlike multiple different individuals from the BBC 🙄

The BBC employ Pat Bonner, Willie Miller and Chick Young. I don’t think our state funded broadcaster are even trying to pretend that they provide an accurate representation of Scottish football. I can’t comment on the podcasts, but the guys on A View From the Terrace do a better job of giving an accurate and detailed analysis of teams all throughout the Scottish leagues in the limited time they have, whilst the ‘journalists’ employed by the BBC aim all their attention towards the OF and speak in generalities and cliches when asked about anyone else. 

This probably goes here.

If you're viewing Saturday's fixtures on the BBC website, to find the Scottish Cup you need to scroll past fixtures from:

(English) Premier League
FA Women's Super League
(English) Championship
(English) League One
(English) League Two
Women's International Friendly (New Zealand v USA!!)
(English) National League
(English) National League North
(English) National League South
Scottish League One
Scottish League Two

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures/2023-01-21

Don't worry, though, I'm sure it's just a case of cups happening less frequently so there's a glitch that prioritises leagues...oh...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures/2023-01-28

24 minutes ago, The Master said:

This probably goes here.

If you're viewing Saturday's fixtures on the BBC website, to find the Scottish Cup you need to scroll past fixtures from:

(English) Premier League
FA Women's Super League
(English) Championship
(English) League One
(English) League Two
Scottish League One
Scottish League Two

Don't worry, though, I'm sure it's just a case of cups happening less frequently so there's a glitch that prioritises leagues...oh...

That they've decided to list fixtures by what some Salford based VL thinks is their quality has always got me fizzing. If you think this is bad you should see it when the FA Cup is just starting. In addition to the usual English dross you've to scroll through hundreds of games like Chipping Sodbury Lighthouse v Ottery St Mary & District Bus Driver's Welfare Social Club before getting to the Scottish Championship and the others. It's genuinely a complete insult.

Angelos Postecoglou gets called by his preferred name of Ange by every pundit and interviewer that I’ve ever heard.

Michael Beale’s preferred name is Mick, but every pundit and interviewer I’ve ever heard since he came back to Rangers calls him Michael. 

I’m confused.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Calling a manager by the same name his club use on every press release does sound like terrible journalism right enough.

I consider my wrists to be slapped. (I’m still confused)

By the way, his previous club called him Mick.

Edited by kingjoey

31 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Angelos Postecoglou gets called by his preferred name of Ange by every pundit and interviewer that I’ve ever heard.

Michael Beale’s preferred name is Mick, but every pundit and interviewer I’ve ever heard since he came back to Rangers calls him Michael. 

I’m confused.

You cant be having a Rangers* manager called Mick, Joey.

To be sure.

38 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m confused.

Neil McCann was calling him mick on sportsound yesterday 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

This probably goes here.

(English) Premier League
FA Women's Super League
(English) Championship
(English) League One
(English) League Two
Scottish League One
Scottish League Two

The Scottish Cup just needs to be promoted to the same status as the Scottish Premiership in the fixture list i.e. second priority behind the EPL, now that the Premiership teams are in it - simplest explanation is that it's yet to be done or noticed by the BBC.