The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Which is the fans of only 2 teams. The other 40 can go f**k themselves. Unless a reference to the other 2 can be shoehorned into the story. Preferably both of them, for "balance". 

And as for non league sides...

Yep, that’s essentially what I was getting at.

24 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Keith Jackson is one moon howling ***

20230717_102736.jpg

Presumably , “Liewell“ and the WATP sign-off were edited out before going to print.

Edited by A96

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Atleast we know who writes the statements for the onion bears now.

I've long suspected the Thesaurus entry for "Lets be absolutely blunt" would be along the lines of "Whats about to follow is pure bullshit". Very much a "Ah just tell it like it is" statement in terms of letting you know you should probably ignore what follows.

Edinburgh Evening News both deliberately conflating two different stories in their headline (Andy Webster praising former club St Mirren, and Calvin Bassey's unrelated potential transfer to Fulham) and therefore making it look as though Webster is delighted to see The Rangers enriched further - and more importantly, forgetting the dot between 1 and 5 in the windfall The Rangers are due (it's £1.5 million, not £15 million).

image.png.9c34911b79b22c892cf0bacb0583a9c0.png

Ewan Murray having another totally normal one on Twitter.

He calls the "Scottish Premiership" the "SPL" (i.e., Scottish Premier League) because he "refuse(s) to use copycat English league terminology".

That would be the "English league" whose top flight is called...The Premier League. 

Just now, The Master said:

He calls the "Scottish Premiership" the "SPL" (i.e., Scottish Premier League) because he "refuse(s) to use copycat English league terminology".

That would be the "English league" whose top flight is called...The Premier League. 

For ages I genuinely thought he was just some unhinged Hearts fan on twitter, I had no idea he was a journalist and shocked to find out he was tbh.

Edited by gannonball

On 16/07/2023 at 18:00, Jacksgranda said:

Which is the fans of only 2 teams. The other 40 can go f**k themselves. Unless a reference to the other 2 can be shoehorned into the story. Preferably both of them, for "balance". 

And as for non league sides...

I think you and I have possibly got the better end of the deal here

there is a constant stream of powderpuff click bait non stories about Rangers and Celtic 

Hearts and Aberdeen generally only get stories reported when there is an actual story to report and we’re spared lot of noise and nonsense like that one one about Ralston becoming a father

I think it would be a shame if Kye Rowles decides to shave off that moustache, other hearts fans might see it as long overdue but  the daily record wouldn’t run it as a story, which is as it should be

However it’s genuinely possible that we could see a headline reading “Raith rovers team bus crash: 2 dead former Celtic starlet traumatised”

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I know we all know this, but if our top league was to copy England's then it would be a separate organisation and would indeed be called the SPL, or similar (since the English top league is separate to the English Football League).

Our top league isn't called the SPFL. It's called The Premiership. The English top league is called The Premier League.

The SPL hasn't existed in over a decade

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I know we all know this, but if our top league was to copy England's then it would be a separate organisation and would indeed be called the SPL, or similar (since the English top league is separate to the English Football League).

Our top league isn't called the SPFL. It's called The Premiership. The English top league is called The Premier League.

The SPL hasn't existed in over a decade

If you want to be really pedantic it’s the top division of our league that is called the premiership 

Murray sounds like a schoolboy who petulantly whispers someone's nickname even after the teacher told them to stop saying it outright, thinking he's got one up on the system.

While I am unsure if Murray (and Jackson for that matter, seeing as he's been mentioned too) are boomers, but it's classic boomer behaviour from them. They are the sorts of people who would sit down at a dinner party and launch into some 'pepe silvia' like rant about how climate change is directly related to Jewish bankers.