James McClean

My feeling on it is that he is perfectly entitled to display whatever political beliefs he has, provided he is willing to accept the consequences of displaying his political beliefs.

I agree. I make no distinction between what those political beliefs are.

Can you now tell me why you feel he is comparable to a white supremacist?

Where very very very specifically have I said he is comparable to a white supremacist?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where very very very specifically have I said he is comparable to a white supremacist?

If you do not feel he is comparable, why have you mentioned white supremacists in relation to this incident on at least 2 occasions?

If you do not feel he is comparable, why have you mentioned white supremacists in relation to this incident on at least 2 occasions?

To establish the parameters.

Either you believe players are entitled to express their political beliefs, or you do not. You can't pick and choose which ones are OK by you and which ones are not. In my view.

Those defending McClean on the "he's a lad with strong political views, leave him be" would I very much suspect feel utterly differntly if these strong political beliefs were ones they didn't like.

But I accept your apology for that completely nonsensical question, and by claiming I had done something which I most certainly didn't.

To establish the parameters.

Either you believe players are entitled to express their political beliefs, or you do not. You can't pick and choose which ones are OK by you and which ones are not. In my view.

Those defending McClean on the "he's a lad with strong political views, leave him be" would I very much suspect feel utterly differntly if these strong political beliefs were ones they didn't like.

But I accept your apology for that completely nonsensical question, and by claiming I had done something which I most certainly didn't.

I'm happy to see you admit you misinterpreted my point and extrapolated it beyond the point that any reasonable person would have, within the context of the thread.

I'm happy to see you admit you misinterpreted my point

I didn't misinterpret your point.

You have clarified that you'd be absolutely fine, presumably, with McClean turning his back on an anti-racism banner similarly, if that were his political beliefs, and he'd be entitled to do so.

I'm fine with that.

I didn't misinterpret your point.

You have clarified that you'd be absolutely fine, presumably, with McClean turning his back on an anti-racism banner similarly, if that were his political beliefs, and he'd be entitled to do so.

I'm fine with that.

As did you, so I guess we're all good on this one.

Given the village he is from was home to six of those killed in the Bloody Sunday massacre, I would say he's got a pretty legitimate grievance with the British establishment, so I have no issue with him not singing GSTQ.

No doubt H_B will be along to argue that this would be no different than if a black man killed his brother and James McClean turned into a big massive racist as a result.

Therefore, no matter how justified his beliefs are, his actions do absolutely no favours in the efforts to eradicate bigotry from football.

There are no genuine efforts to eradicate bigotry from football, only lip service and token gestures.

A better anology for H_B.

Would it be OK for Lewis Hamilton to turn his back on the German flag and anthem on the podium every time he won a Grand Prix because he knew someone was killed during the blitz?

Anyway, I thought all sides were trying put the troubles aside these days, and were starting to build bridges? This kind of act (as well as the bonfire stuff) shows that they will never really be over, despite what politicians want you to believe. You only need to see the reactions from both sides to McClean's daft wee protest to show that. It's pathetic.

He doesn't have to have such a show about it. That's just attention seeking imo.

If he doesn't want to sing GSTQ that's fair enough, just turn to the side and stand quietly whilst the others sing. Respect your teammates/fans that do want to sing it.

Half the players in that team probably aren't British and don't want to sing it but they don't seem to need to make a show about it.

National anthems are generally rubbish, and GSTQ especially so.

Any kind of public mocking towards it should be warmly welcomed.

And if some other enterprising fellow did the same to Flower of Scotland (another quite rubbish song an English person would rightly feel a bit annoyed about) then they can fill in their boots. I wouldn't care in the slightest.

All vestiges of nationalism or national symbols should be 100% be up for mocking at all times - if only to expose the ridiculousness of it all.

If people are more offended by someone turning their back on a national anthem, rather than, say, giving millions of pounds of taxpayer money to one family whilst forcing others to go to food banks - then sorry I don't have sympathy.

Given the village he is from was home to six of those killed in the Bloody Sunday massacre, I would say he's got a pretty legitimate grievance with the British establishment

Mmmm... interesting that. Given how many Catholics were killed by the IRA you'd think McClean would have a grievance with them also.

But no. Strange for such a "principled man".

He doesn't have to have such a show about it. That's just attention seeking imo.

If he doesn't want to sing GSTQ that's fair enough, just turn to the side and stand quietly whilst the others sing.

That's exactly what he did do....

Archived