Favourite Old Firm Player

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was yes.

Danny tells a tale in his autobiography of how, while playing youth football aged 15 or so a watching Rangers scout was quite impressed with the talented young full back, however upon making an enquiry backed off after hearing his full name was Daniel Fergus McGrain, assuming (wrongly :lol: ) that Danny was, shall we say fond of a fish supper on a friday and would not meet the signing criteria for the now deceased Rangers FC who most definetely did not operate an anti Catholic signing policy for over 100 years

We had the last laugh however, Danny went on to become a Celtic legend winning umpteen medals and Scotland caps while Rangers died in 2012

Good times :)

Think he was overlooked for the Airdrie manager's job at the last minute due to his Celtic connection was he not? Before my time I think.

Think he was overlooked for the Airdrie manager's job at the last minute due to his Celtic connection was he not? Before my time I think.

I was just reading the other day that McGrain was offered a player-manager role at Airdrie, which he accepted, only for the Airdrieonians board to have a "change of heart" at the very last minute. People will draw their own conclusions as to what the change of heart was about.

Nah.

You're correct, Henrik. That honour belongs to one James Curran Baxter, Brian Laudrup is the second best player, certainly in my lifetime. For Celtic, it has to be Maurice Johnston, i mean the way he worked it right up your mob was a joy to behold. :P Edit too add, now don't you get to upset about that, Henrik.

The outside of the stadium at Celtic Park has been adorned with giant images of legendery players and team groups, very smart it is too.

Although I was looking at it before game on saturday and there is, at the corner of the Jock Stein stand the 1985 Scottish Cup winning post match team photo with the trophy (the Provan/McGarvey final) except it only shows the left hand side of said team group, cutting out a few of the players, including one M* J******* , one has to imagine that was delibarate :lol:

The outside of the stadium at Celtic Park has been adorned with giant images of legendery players and team groups, very smart it is too.

Although I was looking at it before game on saturday and there is, at the corner of the Jock Stein stand the 1985 Scottish Cup winning post match team photo with the trophy (the Provan/McGarvey final) except it only shows the left hand side of said team group, cutting out a few of the players, including one M* J******* , one has to imagine that was delibarate :lol:

A bit sad if that was deliberate, after all he is part of your history, whether you like it or not.

There was no player of the tournament award.

Henrik Larsen shared the golden boot in that tournament. :lol:

King Kenny is a legend at Celtic always will be you, must be talking to the wrong people, the best Scottish player in the last 40 years.

I think there is 4 maybe 5 Rangers fans in the greatest ever Celtic team.

Aye, Larsen did well for Denmark in that tournament.

I'll have a shot at this:

Tam Gemmell

Kenny

Bertie Peacock

Danny Migraine

Lambert

Managed by Big Baw Face, of course.

Who is on your list?

There were 4 Rangers fans in the team voted their greatest ever. Ronnie Simpson, Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain and Bertie Auld. Tommy Gemmell is reputed to be a Motherwell fan.

I'll have a shot at this:

Tam Gemmell

Kenny

Bertie Peacock

Danny Migraine

Lambert

Managed by Big Baw Face, of course.

Who is on your list?

Gemmell was a Motherwell fan. Peacock and Lambert weren't named in the Greatest XI.

There were 4 Rangers fans in the team voted their greatest ever. Ronnie Simpson, Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain and Bertie Auld. Tommy Gemmell is reputed to be a Motherwell fan.

Bertie Auld was a Thistle fan.

Aye No8 , we all know you love the alky wife beater.

FFS, you just can't help yourself can you, always wanting to turn a football discussion into a whatabout this or that by having a go about something related to Rangers. Edit too add, tell us all, why would you think the poster you replied to is No.8?

Gemmell was a Motherwell fan. Peacock and Lambert weren't named in the Greatest XI.

Bertie Auld was a Thistle fan.

I know Auld was born & bred in Maryhill and went to watch PTFC but he also went to Ibrox as a young lad. However no doubt you're correct about him being a Jags man.

Archived